DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

60 seems to be the new 40

Ok, I have to ask... did you have a name for the Yamaha???
My granddaughter named it George. If you are a Looney Tunes fan, you will understand.

My main hobies were flying GA aircraft and SCUBA diving. Also sailing my trailer sailer. All are now not possible due to health problems, though i still have hopes of getting back in the water with my diving gear. Old age sucks bit have recently discovered drones.

Mine were too. Now I rely on flying drones, and watching reruns of Jacques Cousteau.

Reactions: Drone Master
Its funny that there are people that are surprised that someone older gets into something like riding, drones, bikes. I just made 75 a little while ago. I still mountain bike (my version anyway), snow ski (since I was 21), fly fish, etc. New to drones. My wife bought it for me as she said I needed one. I have had GoPros since they came out to take videos of off roading, skiing, etc. The drone adds to how videos can be made. Only problem is where I live as its between three airports, a heli landing, and a major airport. Have to travel to use drone. Limits time in the air.

At my age of 53, I feel like a youngster among my peers and some of you. You guys that are over my age, only means that you can use that old phrase, The older the wiser. I beg to differ on that phrase sometimes because of my old man. He is 76 and and kicks my butt when it comes to being a actual manpilot with his third airplane so far, however, I kick his butt when it comes to our Drone hobby and business.
Heck, way before I flew with him, I was flying from my own created flying platforms from a kite and using a 35 mm canon film camera. That was in 1992.
Wow,, I feel young at this age compared to you guys!
Knowledge is power no matter what age! All I say is Fly till you Die!
Enjoy every moment of it!

Last edited:
I'm 68, just getting started with drones and rode motorcycles in college but looking to do so once again.
My wife and I also ballroom dance every weekend and take lessons every other week.
I'm starting to think about retiring from my current job and became interested in drones as something to retire to. I'm working on getting my 107.

Just turned 69 this month, very scaaaaarrry! Still can't believe I'm that old, still feel about 35 inside. Last rode a motorcycle in 1969, a Honda 305 Dream, nice touring bike, same year I started flying. Used to rally a big engined VW Bug when I lived back in Britain. Have been flying for many, many years then was a flight instructor. On the ground, fast cars were always my thing, that and Alpine ski racing, lived in Austria for a number of years, oh and sailing too.

Been a photographer for close to 50 years and started flying drones 2 years ago. I try to get back to Wales or Europe every year or two and don't fly or ski or sail as much as I would like to anymore. Due to the type of work I did, I had to be ready to go anywhere at any time, so started marriage and family late in life, my two little ones just turned 4 and 6 so they take most of my time now. No change that to ALL of my time, and energy and money and all my love. However, they will keep me young and on the go until I drop.

However, I will now need to live to about 106 so that they can enjoy me and me enjoy them long enough in life to be fair to each other. When I die I hope to go like my grandfather, peacefully in his sleep, not like all those screaming passengers in the back of his aircraft. Happy flying chaps.

Well, I'm 68 and been a biker (motorcycle) all my life (as well as design engineer). I've been retired for almost 14 years, and the thing that has been most revealing is that most of the retired people that I know haven't shown much sign of slowing down. Since retirement, I took up banjo playing, and now flying my drone. Just finished building our house up here in the NC mountains, and I do a lot of woodworking. Sure, things hurt that didn't used to hurt, but I plow through. In my mind I'm still 21!

Like you JY-tek I made it to my mid 60s and still going strong, rode Harleys for years, was a surfer now have taken up paddle boarding and that got me into the action cameras so I got a Gopro7 Black using it for SUP and Biking, travel and learning to edit my movies, when I turned 60 decided to learn the acoustic guitar and now flying drones (Mavic Air)to supplement my GoPro movies while traveling, there is lot of life left. I retired from the USAF, worked For NASA afterwards as a Communications engineer and now with the VA as a PM. Living on the beach in Florida gives me a lot of opportunities to fly, film, SUP and Bike. Don't let age get you down! So glad to join this group and learning from you all to fly my MA.

Reactions: Former Member
I am really happy to see so many members who are in their 60's, 70's and even 80's, buying and actively flying their drones. I have been into model flying for almost 50 years, and when I started, it seemed that the RC demographic was age 60 and under. Anyone older than 60 seemed to be just supporting or teaching someone younger how to fly and tune their birds.

I keep thinking and seeing that age 60 is the new 40. With Lasik available for the eyes, open heart surgery as a routine, and a range of medications to improve quality of life and life extension, we are living longer and healthier lives.

I welcome all new members here to the forum and drone world, and kudos to those of you in their 60's and over who are first starting out with drones. Your life experiences and wisdom are very welcome here.

Happy holidays ands best regards,

Rob

I am really happy to see so many members who are in their 60's, 70's and even 80's, buying and actively flying their drones. I have been into model flying for almost 50 years, and when I started, it seemed that the RC demographic was age 60 and under. Anyone older than 60 seemed to be just supporting or teaching someone younger how to fly and tune their birds.

I keep thinking and seeing that age 60 is the new 40. With Lasik available for the eyes, open heart surgery as a routine, and a range of medications to improve quality of life and life extension, we are living longer and healthier lives.

I welcome all new members here to the forum and drone world, and kudos to those of you in their 60's and over who are first starting out with drones. Your life experiences and wisdom are very welcome here.

Happy holidays ands best regards,

Rob

So true... 60 years old and have been in the hobby since 1970. Glad i've lived long enough to see advances in the hobby over the last half century. Between that and my motorcycles, camping, hunting and fishing life is good. Yes...60 is the new 40.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61