DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

60 seems to be the new 40

A cousin of my late wife suggested the term "3rd Age" for those of us over 60 who were looking at new horizons above and beyond the recliner rocker which may have seemed like the most "active" retirement endeavour of our parents/grandparents! I'll hit 67 a month today, with the brain cells still actively engaged in the work I have enjoyed doing for nearly quarter of a century now, but also actively planning for and setting up photographic and videography business around my drone and camera equipment. Already booked in for 102 Registration (NZ CAA) in March 2019.
Happy retirement? Haven't found an alternative dictionary meaning that tops where my "retirement" is headed. :D:cool:

Reactions: Former Member
I am really happy to see so many members who are in their 60's, 70's and even 80's, buying and actively flying their drones. I have been into model flying for almost 50 years, and when I started, it seemed that the RC demographic was age 60 and under. Anyone older than 60 seemed to be just supporting or teaching someone younger how to fly and tune their birds.

I keep thinking and seeing that age 60 is the new 40. With Lasik available for the eyes, open heart surgery as a routine, and a range of medications to improve quality of life and life extension, we are living longer and healthier lives.

I welcome all new members here to the forum and drone world, and kudos to those of you in their 60's and over who are first starting out with drones. Your life experiences and wisdom are very welcome here.

Happy holidays ands best regards,

Rob
Thanks Thunderdrone. Didnt start til i was 60 and its been a great experience for me. A new challenge where my old body doesn't have to suffer. Ha. BTW, would love to go fly sometime with you since we are basically local to each other.

I usually just read on this and other sites.Rarely do I post anything. This thread caught my attention. It shows a common link all us old farts seem to share. We all like active living. I've raced cars, briefly flew small planes and Ultralites. Owned a few boats and 16 different motorcycles. I currently ride a HD Roadglide with a sidecar that has 121k on it. I got into building drones a few years ago. Now with companies like DJI, Autel etc. they fly so well and can do so much its hard to go back to the quirky homebuilts I was flying before. Seriously cool hobby! Fly safe and have fun!
PS; My DJI stable is a Tello, a Spark, a MA, a MP1 and a M2Z and I can fit them all in my sidecar!:cool:

Thanks Thunderdrone. Didnt start til i was 60 and its been a great experience for me. A new challenge where my old body doesn't have to suffer. Ha. BTW, would love to go fly sometime with you since we are basically local to each other.

Im ready when you are. I usually fly at Shorty Howell Park off Pleasant Hill in Duluth. Nice wide open areas there. How about you?

I am really happy to see so many members who are in their 60's, 70's and even 80's, buying and actively flying their drones. I have been into model flying for almost 50 years, and when I started, it seemed that the RC demographic was age 60 and under. Anyone older than 60 seemed to be just supporting or teaching someone younger how to fly and tune their birds.

I keep thinking and seeing that age 60 is the new 40. With Lasik available for the eyes, open heart surgery as a routine, and a range of medications to improve quality of life and life extension, we are living longer and healthier lives.

I welcome all new members here to the forum and drone world, and kudos to those of you in their 60's and over who are first starting out with drones. Your life experiences and wisdom are very welcome here.

Happy holidays ands best regards,

Rob
62 yo here, love my mavic pro!

Hi, my name is Mike, and I've been flying the Mavic Pro for a year. I live in Asheville and would love to fly with somebody. If you're in the area give me a shout.

At 50 I was pretty pleased to come across this topic. I’ve had an 85 Honda Shadow in the 90’s, a 2003 Honda CBR600RR in 05, a 2007 Honda CBR1000RR (pictured) in 09, an 09 Honda XL1000 in 2012, and the last one a 2016 Suzuki DR650SE in 2016. I’ve had way too many drones from scratch building DJI Flamewheels to my current MavicPro
IMG_5100.JPG

72 here and still riding motorcycles. I did sell the Harley and got a Can Am Spyder, the wife feels safer on it. My dads favorite saying was "Its just the milage"
NOW I KNOW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT. We also have a polaris razor1000 side by side and go to the sand dunes 4 to 6 times a year. I do 22 minutes of
yoga every morning and Planet Fitness 3 days a week. I have 11 grand kids to keep up with and i am enjoying every minute of it. I got the MP 16 months ago
and am really enjoying that. I am waiting for the Phamton 5 to come out and see what it has. I was going to get the MP Zoom but thought i would wait and check
out the 5. I have really enjoyed this forum and the camaraderie that everyone shows to each other. I am really fortunate to live in northern California because there
tons of places to go fly in just a few minutes.

I'm 65 and have also ridden road bikes since I was 19.
My latest was a ZX11.
Started with Tamiya RC cars at about 30.
In my 50's I went nitro then gas cars and onto drones.
I enjoy both cars and drones esp the 1/5 scale 29cc buggy.

Reactions: Niblett
Im ready when you are. I usually fly at Shorty Howell Park off Pleasant Hill in Duluth. Nice wide open areas there. How about you?
I know it well. In fact I know all Gwinnett Parks well since I managed their construction program from 2001 to 2010. Have you flown the boardwalk at George Pierce? Harbins Park on the east end of the county would be a great place as well. Goes along a section of the Alvocy river. Also Little Mulberry in Dacula.

I'm now managing the construction of Cobb Parks where I've been since 2011 so I fly these parks for work progress photos.
I'll find the time in the next couple of months to come to Gwinnett and fly some new spots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo