DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

6595.1 mtrs over water - critical battery auto land

ha ha ha, sorry - it is (try hearing it through edit)
I had to make something quick and royalty free- I am working on it, appreciate feedback and tips, new to editing.

Funny someone has filed a copyright claim already.. someone else is as annoying as me and written the same song.

that has to be the most annoying background music !
;-)

1. How far is that in American? ;-)
2. Sport mode I assume?
3. Why did it spin in auto land?
4. You said you were still able to control it in auto land? I assume you could control only the horizontal direction?

That must have been nerve wracking.

For distance test over water, I would suggest flying the first section on land. In case there is any GPS or compass error, you can return it back before going above the water. And on the way return home, your Mavic won't be in critical battery auto land when it is above water. Here is an example, I did a long distance test with 5% left but I wasn't panic because I could land it anywhere.
fa44aac6c98ed03a65c976a8e513a39d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

For distance test over water, I would suggest flying the first section on land. In case there is any GPS or compass error, you can return it back before going above the water. And on the way return home, your Mavic won't be in critical battery auto land when it is above water. Here is an example, I did a long distance test with 5% left but I wasn't panic because I could land it anywhere.

Thats incredible. How was your reception at max distance?

Great advice and well explained. Thanks

Yes I won't take it as close as this agin, well the same day next battery over a dam the remote disconnected... another interesting vid. Screen went black as it was lost with thick tree cover.
Made it home then called it a day.

Man - you guys are braver then I am. 1/2 a mile to a mile max for me (and I get nervous at that distance). I just keep getting pictures in my head of it landing in the lake or somewhere else I can't get to or find..

I do enjoy watching others, though. Over 6 miles. That's pretty good.

Reactions: jerryflah
Not a single signal drop. It was still 3 bars. I think the limitation of Mavic long distance test is the battery, not the RC signal.
I think you may be right, but so much depends on where you fly. I like to follow a stream near my house, which meanders a lot. Because of the trees, I lose signal sometimes in less than half a mile. They aren't kidding when DJI says you need line of sight.

Reactions: jerryflah
The next flight at 2000mtrs I lost all connection!
This was a new location over a heavily wooded dam on the Gold Coast.

Location is everything g it seems, it was hills and trees and I lost the Mavic.

I had to reboot app to find Mavic on the way back home after a complete disconnect.
Wrecked some lovely footage :(

Another interesting video and experience.

I will upload that one today.

I done 5000metres today over water @200ft flying against 4mph headwind landed with 19% battery.
Cannot wait to mod this badboy up with maxxuav battery mod and antenna mod 8 miles.

Last edited:
That is amazing! Loving the fact that you're in Byron too.

A freakin' lot of distance there

The next flight at 2000mtrs I lost all connection!
This was a new location over a heavily wooded dam on the Gold Coast.

Location is everything g it seems, it was hills and trees and I lost the Mavic.

I had to reboot app to find Mavic on the way back home after a complete disconnect.
Wrecked some lovely footage :(

Another interesting video and experience.

I will upload that one today.
(
You did get it back though right? It was on its way returning to home when you rebooted the app?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: rossmoney
I done 5000metres today over water @200ft flying against 4mph headwind landed with 19% battery.
Cannot wait to mod this badboy up with maxxuav battery mod and antenna mod 8 miles.

5000 going and then 5000 coming back ?
Means total 10k and returned to home with 19 still left ?

Did you had to switch to sports to return back quickly ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman