DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$690 New Mavic? Is something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty314

Reactions
The following link seems to be for a new mavic, but the price is incredibly low. Do you think this is a defect, or previously owned? I send in a question and am waiting for a response. What's confusing is they have other listings at prices over $1,000, that seem to be the same basic box bundle.

Buy DJI Mavic Pro

Buy DJI Mavic Pro Fly Combo 4K Camera Live Feed 2.4GHz Electric RC Drone RTF

The one below has some extra things that make the price questionably low, as well.
Buy DJI Mavic Pro Collapsible Drone Combo

I'd love to get some opinions before I click "purchase". (since the internet has no tax, I just returned my mavic to best buy after 2 weeks of testing and dealing with some drifting camera issues that made blurry pictures. I could also use the savings from the better deals online.)

Last edited:
If nothing else, they don't appears to be a DJI authorized dealer. As such, DJI may not honor any warranty.

Your money is better spent on an authorized dealer. Odds are the Mavic in the link you posted is either not new, or of questionable origin. It just sounds like the start of so many problems in your life :(

Old addage.... Buy cheep, Buy twice... or in your case 3 maybe more.

Clue is in your own words "just returned my mavic to best buy after 2 weeks of fun flights." 'Fun Flights"... my guess is, if you buy a questionable Mavic, it would take longer than 2 weeks of phone calls before you realise it is a flawed unit, you cant fly it and your not covered.

Its only MY guess and I have been wrong before but....

Reactions: Soft7
Thanks for the replies! I agree with the popular opinion that it's too sketchy for a comfortable purchase, and I'll be buying elsewhere.

(For those who can't comprehend why I'd return it to best buy and go to the internet; money saved by avoiding sales tax = another battery and other accessories. Thumbswayup:cool: Their return policy is 15 days. I flew several batteries every day until the last opportunity to return it. I was pleased with the mavic and excited to own one again, for good this time. It was also a time to test the system out and see if my usage and enjoyment was worth the money spent, but the cost from best buy was a bit much for me.)

Last edited:
So, buy returning a perfectly good Mavic just because you could after playing with it for two weeks just doesn't sit right with me. Now multiply what you did by how many other people that do this and what it amounts to is higher initial costs for the rest of us to subsidize your play time. I find it hard to believe that you would be so bold to even admit you did this.

So, buy returning a perfectly good Mavic just because you could after playing with it for two weeks just doesn't sit right with me. Now multiply what you did by how many other people that do this and what it amounts to is higher initial costs for the rest of us to subsidize your play time. I find it hard to believe that you would be so bold to even admit you did this.

Exactly, I so can't stand idiots that abuse return policies !!!

I also think you shouldn't have returned a good mavic based only on the returning policy of the seller. Be aware that maybe you can buy for less @ internet w/out a good return policy and unfortunately get a defective one. Good luck!

A retail store (best buy) offers a return policy to a customer if they are not comfortable with their purchase. I ended up liking the product in the end, but not the cost, and so I wasn't comfortable with the purchase and acted accordingly. You're free to complain to Best Buy about their policy. I took dang good care of the mavic in case a return happened, fully knowing that someone else would eventually own it after being put back in the line of quality control. (I could one day be a second owner, too, if plans work out to purchase one and keep, which I hope they do.) The mavic bundles online are a better deal. It's not pocket change being saved, but easily $200 or more when buying the bundle. I'd be surprised if you would happily spend more than 20% than you needed to, but hey, you might, so more power to you! I have the right to participate in individual commerce according to services offered by these companies, and I highly doubt that expenses of returns vs initial production and sales costs is anything significant. If they are, then I too am absorbing some of that. I look at it as excellent service provided for a customer that gains customers and builds up the drone community (like it brought me in) and a larger drone community brings more money, demand, and popularity for continued accelerated advancements in the drone consumer community. Now I could be wrong about cost, because I'm a mechanical engineer and not a business major, but I'm not some uneducated teenager flippantly skrewing around without any forethought of other customers or the industry.

I appreciate your opinion/view on the subject, and will certainly consider them in any future potential involvements with any form of product returns, whatever kind of product and retailer it might be.

I'll do my best to resist the urge to comment any further on the matter and avoid getting involved in any petty arguments, unless the majority of users do in fact just want to see users sling around insults like the person who's maturely calling me an "idiot" because my actions seemingly caused them grief or pain. I don't mean to start anything, or initiate ill feelings on this forum, but I feel I have the right (like all of us) to offer up a "hold your horses there...", so to speak, when being misunderstood and having things incorrectly assumed about me, and others that might be in the same boat.

With that, happy flying to everyone, and I'm still excited to be a part of the forum, despite any insults. :)

Reactions: jamesw
I also think you shouldn't have returned a good mavic based only on the returning policy of the seller. Be aware that maybe you can buy for less @ internet w/out a good return policy and unfortunately get a defective one. Good luck!

Oh of course, which is why I'll be looking for factory warranty coverage, customer service, etc. Thanks to the members replying here, I've already avoided a sketchy retailer and will certainly stick with authorized ones that will in fact replace a mavic if it's sold to me with a defect. All of us deserve a non-flawed product, especially when spending more than triple digits.

Thanks for the comment.

I'd recommend Crutchfield.com for buying a Mavic since prices on them pretty much the same across-the-board. This way - you've got a great company selling it to you so you're protected.

Tell 'em Treat sent you.

Reactions: phantomi
A retail store (best buy) offers a return policy to a customer if they are not comfortable with their purchase. I ended up liking the product in the end, but not the cost, and so I wasn't comfortable with the purchase and acted accordingly. You're free to complain to Best Buy about their policy. I took dang good care of the mavic in case a return happened, fully knowing that someone else would eventually own it after being put back in the line of quality control. (I could one day be a second owner, too, if plans work out to purchase one and keep, which I hope they do.) The mavic bundles online are a better deal. It's not pocket change being saved, but easily $200 or more when buying the bundle. I'd be surprised if you would happily spend more than 20% than you needed to, but hey, you might, so more power to you! I have the right to participate in individual commerce according to services offered by these companies, and I highly doubt that expenses of returns vs initial production and sales costs is anything significant. If they are, then I too am absorbing some of that. I look at it as excellent service provided for a customer that gains customers and builds up the drone community (like it brought me in) and a larger drone community brings more money, demand, and popularity for continued accelerated advancements in the drone consumer community. Now I could be wrong about cost, because I'm a mechanical engineer and not a business major, but I'm not some uneducated teenager flippantly skrewing around without any forethought of other customers or the industry.

I appreciate your opinion/view on the subject, and will certainly consider them in any future potential involvements with any form of product returns, whatever kind of product and retailer it might be.

I'll do my best to resist the urge to comment any further on the matter and avoid getting involved in any petty arguments, unless the majority of users do in fact just want to see users sling around insults like the person who's maturely calling me an "idiot" because my actions seemingly caused them grief or pain. I don't mean to start anything, or initiate ill feelings on this forum, but I feel I have the right (like all of us) to offer up a "hold your horses there...", so to speak, when being misunderstood and having things incorrectly assumed about me, and others that might be in the same boat.

With that, happy flying to everyone, and I'm still excited to be a part of the forum, despite any insults. :)

Should have not made an impulse buy! You should have done a price comparison prior if ya that broke to wanna save a hundred bucks. Karma will kick in soon ( two weeks flyin with zero issues, is good, why be greedy) enough. Btw its the brands that normally eat the returns not the store, so in reality we all pay for you being so cheap and returning a perfect performing product, as dji has to absorb it in the end.

Last edited:
In any event it may have been wiser (yes even for 20% more) to stick with a known good MP. If you have been reading these forums you may already know that not all MP's are created equal and having no problems after two weeks of flying would lead me to believe the MP was a keeper. I knew BB sold MP's but ended up buying online partly due to the fact that when BB changed their return policy to 14 days I swore I would never shop there again :)

In this case it is known that there are occasional issues, so with a perfect unit I would certainly not trade the cost of a battery with a potential dud that could spend 2 months in service before you can do something with it - it would lose more value in that time.

Since I also despise return policy abusers since we all lose in the end becasue of their futile choices I kinda hope that happens...

You guys, I am quite surprised at how much of an issue this seems to be for you, and am now curious to see some actual numbers or reports on how much extra cost occasional "worthless returns" are for a company as strong as DJI. These assumptions and insults display a rude and unwelcoming attitude towards an entering drone hobbyist who is trying to help the community grow by becoming a part of it. I recognize, though, how easy it is to hop on the forum and throw shade and complaints as if you know everything I've experienced and in my decision making. Ultimately, continued "shouldn't have done that" comments have beat the horse dead and won't change the past. Your differing opinion has been made clear, and I'll refrain from allowing your insults and rude comments to tarnish this community's reputation and culture.

(Ironically, and this actually made me laugh a bit, this course of action was actually suggested by members of this forum. Now I know you'd have the same complaints for them, but I just find that funny.)

Should have not made an impulse buy! You should have done a price comparison prior if ya that broke to wanna save a hundred bucks. Karma will kick in soon ( two weeks flyin with zero issues, is good, why be greedy) enough. Btw its the brands that normally eat the returns not the store, so in reality we all pay for you being so cheap and returning a perfect performing product, as dji has to absorb it in the end.

I didn't realize 3 weeks of research, in person discussions with an authorized dealer at an air show, and joining a forum and asking some questions, all before a purchase would have been classified as an impulse buy. ;)

Reactions: MrsTreat
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom