DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

6km range, battery close call

Landing at 15% remaining is a close call?

Yeah I guess it could be worse. But being a mile away with just 3 minutes battery remaining, that's considered a close call for me - I always make sure the drone's ready to land with 5 minutes remaining but maybe I'm too cautious :)

Yeah I guess it could be worse. But being a mile away with just 3 minutes battery remaining, that's considered a close call for me - I always make sure the drone's ready to land with 5 minutes remaining but maybe I'm too cautious :)
Good practice.
Since the percentage display is not accurate and is only an estimate, anything below 15% is on borrowed time and depending on the condition of the cells could mean a rapid fall off at any moment - that's just lipo chemistry. No amount of 'intelligent' battery management will prevent that.
Landing at circa 20% (3.4v per cell under load) or greater will not only keep the batteries in good condition but will mean less stress on you knowing your power isn't suddenly going to take a nose dive.
People that regularly fly down to10% or lower won't have their Mavics for very long. :)

Reactions: dam
Based upon my most recent "safe ditching" of my aircraft on a driving range, when I thought it safer than trying to make it all the way home, the time remaining displayed is to 10% battery, and not 0%. After reviewing the flight, I could easily have made it all the way back, had I known that, as I landed at 6% over a minute later, and diverting to the driving range was just as far off course as the remaining distance to home. The trick is safely fighting the Autoland at 10%, while you keep flying forward until you make it home, where you can let it do its thing! :cool: Not recommended for the faint of heart! :eek: However, if you ever find yourself in that situation, it helps to know that!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan