DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

7x camera is so freaking good on this drone

dmcgrew

Reactions
Man.. I am impressed. What everyone is saying about the 7x camera being improved is absolutely true. The photos are so sharp which also allows them to be enlarged using "Enhance" in Lightroom/Photoshop or an app like Topaz. I shot this photo this morning and was really impressed with the amount of detail and sharpness in it.

Full res JPG which was enlarged in Lightroom and then had Topaz Denoise applied: Google Drive: Sign-in

This is the photo edited in Lightroom without being enlarged and without any noise reduction. No sharpening has been added either.
DJI_20230512060703_0154_D-Enhanced-SR-Edit.jpg

I could not agree more! I have not had a ton of time to fly since my Mavic 3 pro arrived on Wednesday, but from my brief tests the 7x seems to be much sharper and has more contrast than the one on the original Mavic 3. This translates to the images requiring a lot less work in post. The 3x is awesome, too. I also see much less vignetting with the 24mm.

Ultimately a worthy upgrade.

Also impressive that it is sharp even with a shutter speed at 1/10th of a second. With such a focal length that indicates a very stable gimbal.

I'd also like to confirm that the 166mm is significantly better than the normal Mavic 3. That's great news. Still, DJI is pretty quiet and calm about the lens. They say it hasn't been updated but it looks like it is. maybe DJI doesn't want to mess with existing Mavic 3 customers? Now just add DLog and 10bit to this lens and I'm happy.

I'd also like to confirm that the 166mm is significantly better than the normal Mavic 3. That's great news. Still, DJI is pretty quiet and calm about the lens. They say it hasn't been updated but it looks like it is. maybe DJI doesn't want to mess with existing Mavic 3 customers? Now just add DLog and 10bit to this lens and I'm happy.

Actually, DJI has been pretty outspoken about the newly improved 7X tele camera. They also changed its model number (FC2370 -> FC4370) to indicate the differences.

screenshot.png

Last edited:
Also impressive that it is sharp even with a shutter speed at 1/10th of a second. With such a focal length that indicates a very stable gimbal.

Oh yeah I didn't even notice the shutter was that slow. We had almost no wind here so that definitely helped.

I shot a job this AM with mine...yeah, the whole package is quite impressive. Since DXO already reads files from the main 24mm 4/3rds camera, it cleans up those corners super nice on the Mavic 3 Pro and honestly, the 70mm and 166mm cams are *so* good, they just don't need the pre-processing.

This new bird has officially killed any interest I had in the Inspire series, it's more than good enough for me.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I didn't even notice the shutter was that slow. We had almost no wind here so that definitely helped.
Even more impressive is that this was shot in low light, which has been the nemesis of the Mavic 3's 7x, which performs best in good light. Change in the aperture from f/4.4 to f/3.4 certainly helps!

Just wondering if you tried the new AI de-noise feature in Lightroom. I have watched a few YouTube videos on it and it looks amazing. Your photo is great by the way.

Just wondering if you tried the new AI de-noise feature in Lightroom. I have watched a few YouTube videos on it and it looks amazing. Your photo is great by the way.

Yep it works great. Only problem is you can't use it after you enlarge the photo with enhance. Which kind of defeats the purpose. I like to do noise reduction very last.

Yep it works great. Only problem is you can't use it after you enlarge the photo with enhance. Which kind of defeats the purpose. I like to do noise reduction very last.
I found it works ok after the fact if you do a standard uprez in changing the output size in the raw conversion.

Either way, these new cameras are really impressive in actual usable output when considering their overall physical size. Stitched images from them are going to be phenomenal.

In what ways
Far better image quality on all counts. Better color accuracy, better details, less overall noise.......

It's like a whole new camera for the new 166mm lens even though it's the same sensor. Not entirely certain what all they tweaked but I am not complaining a bit.

Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
Still, DJI is pretty quiet and calm about the lens. They say it hasn't been updated
Not sure where you got this idea.
The new camera has a different focal length, a different aperture size and a different model number.
It's not just updated, it's a whole new camera.
The sensor is the only thing unchanged.

Not sure where you got this idea.
The new camera has a different focal length, a different aperture size and a different model number.
It's not just updated, it's a whole new camera.
The sensor is the only thing unchanged.
The DJI forum moderators have mentioned this (no upgrades….despite the obvious as you stated) a few times on their site.

Reactions: Darkabaz
As usual, they clearly don't know what they are talking about!
Reading there posts over the last 5-6 years almost makes me thing they are bots. Really. I know Chat GBT wasn’t around then, but it’s always just scripted responses regardless of what you say.

Reactions: KS-6

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1