DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

8 inch tablet

Eagle430

Reactions
Hi all

I own a Mavic 2 pro and during the last months I bought a Lenovo tab m8 tablet, based on its specs (4gb ram, octacore, 8inch), I prefer a tablet for flying my drone for the bigger screen. I am not very happy with it, it feels slow, the LCD is not bright enough outdoors, and most important during my last flight (paid job) while I was flying the drone and recording video it decides to switch off on its own (the power off button was not pressed by mistake) maybe it got overhead ? Anyway it was a very scary moment as it took me about 2 minutes to switch it on again, connect it with the app etc.
After this incident I decided that I had enough with it, I will buy another tablet

I am looking for a bright LCD tablet around 8inch, fast enough to be able to view 4k video while my drone is recording (live ) and of course to be reliable
Any recommendations on what to look for?

Keep in mind during your search that the maximum Live View from your drone is 1080p. As far as 4K, that would only apply to viewing actual video that was filmed in a 4K resolution if you wanted that capability, but I’m sure that would raise the price a bit. I have always used iPads, but it sounds like you went with an Android device, and others may be able to advise you with that.

Even if you're not into the Apple system with your phone and desktop/laptop computers, it's a good tablet choice for this purpose. I've been using the 9" iPad Air 2 for a few years now, dedicated to photography, and worked well for me. The most recent generation of that is more expensive than the version I have, but it's brighter.

Chris

f you want to stay with Android, the Tripltek tablet will be more than up to the task although they are quite pricey.

Reactions: stowman2
Hi all

I own a Mavic 2 pro and during the last months I bought a Lenovo tab m8 tablet, based on its specs (4gb ram, octacore, 8inch), I prefer a tablet for flying my drone for the bigger screen. I am not very happy with it, it feels slow, the LCD is not bright enough outdoors, and most important during my last flight (paid job) while I was flying the drone and recording video it decides to switch off on its own (the power off button was not pressed by mistake) maybe it got overhead ? Anyway it was a very scary moment as it took me about 2 minutes to switch it on again, connect it with the app etc.
After this incident I decided that I had enough with it, I will buy another tablet

I am looking for a bright LCD tablet around 8inch, fast enough to be able to view 4k video while my drone is recording (live ) and of course to be reliable
Any recommendations on what to look for?
I highly recommend the Tripltek 8" Pro. It's lighter than it's predecessor and very bright (1100 nits)

TRIPLTEK 8" PRO, AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME. It was made specifically for Drone pilots! Forget all Apple products, they all overheat and darken, no matter the model. The TRIPLTEK has 1200 nits of CONSTANT brightness throughout your flight. It comes standard with 256GB of internal memory and the ability to add an additional 1TB microsd card. I got mine a month ago and haven't looked back. Pair it with a MavMount Scout holder and you're set! But yeah, there's the $800 price tag and the $100 mount price but you won't find a better, more reliable and stable set up then the TriplTek. If you're a commercial part 107 pilot, YOU NEED THIS. And don't be tempted by their older TriplTek 7 inch model. The 8" Pro improved on all of the 7" model's weaknesses. And to top it all off, it's an actual UNLOCKED cell phone. Running on Android 10. And military grade IP68 protection standard. This thing is a TANK! There's not much to not like on this model. I'd buy it again without hesitation. (USB-C charge port). My only complaint, which is really not a complaint, is that the speakers on the TriplTek are not of the same class as my iPhone 13 Pro Max or 12.9" iPad Pro. But I did not buy this tablet for Hi-Fidelity sound! One last note: the battery on this beast is unbelievable - I turned it on Wednesday and the FOLLOWING THURSDAY (8 days) it was down to 11% and I decided to recharge it. It was not powered off once during that entire time. It's the best battery in any device that I've ever had. During that time I was using it intermittently throughout the day (18 hour days) watching movies, flying my drones, loading apps, making phone calls, etc. I activated my Tripltek 8 Pro on T-mobile's CONNECT $15/month prepaid service with:
text_icon.png
Unlimited domestic talk
data_icon.png
Unlimited domestic texts
talk_icon.png
3GB domestic data
IMG_9252.jpgIMG_9254.JPG

FROM THE MANUFACTURER:
All New TRIPLTEK 8 Inch PRO. 1200 nits Ultra-High Resolution Display, Android 10 , IP68
8GB RAM 256GB ROM , Up to 1TB SD Storage
Unlocked Smartphone capabilities
4G LTE bands(B38/39/40/41) and (B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/20/28)

Lighter, thinner and faster than TRIPLTEK 7 " PRO

Powerful version for professionals who need a Smartphone that can handle high-demand Graphics (GPU) Applications like Drone Deploy, Drone Harmony, DJI Fly, UAVenture, Kittyhawk...

MAVMOUNT SCOUT:
P1000062-1.jpgP1000101-scaled-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget all Apple products, they all overheat and darken, no matter the model.

Um, no. That's not even remotely true.

Please go ahead and vehemently champion the tablet you love, but if you can't do it without trashing the competing platform, your opinion goes down several notches in some people's book (such as mine). There's no need to do anything beyond making your recommendation.

Dig?

PS: I own an android tablet. I could have gone on about the issues I've had (and still have) with it, but I didn't.

Please go ahead and vehemently champion the tablet you love, but if you can't do it without trashing the competing platform, your opinion goes down several notches in some people's book (such as mine). There's no need to do anything beyond making your recommendation.

Dig?

PS: I own an android tablet. I could have gone on about the issues I've had (and still have) with it, but I didn't.
Well, it’s not only my opinion, it’s the truth. Just do a quick search of these forums and maybe a Google search or two. I’ve owned Apple iPhone products since day 1 when the first iPhone was released on June 29th 2007 and I’ve owned every single major model upgrade since then, all the way to my iPhone 13 Pro Max 1TB, as well as a half dozen iPads. So it’s just my personal observation through more than a decade and a half. So yeah tons of personal experience with Apple products. And it’s not your place to dictate what other people can say on this forum. You don’t like it? Keep scrolling. You nor anyone else decides what is and isn’t said.
Now you’re comments have caused me to not take you or your opinion seriously.

You dig?

And quite honestly, I’ve had about 10 Android devices over the decades and I absolutely hated them. That is until this TripleTek 8” Pro came along.

Reactions: Cadillac2012
Well, it’s not only my opinion, it’s the truth. Just do a quick search of these forums and maybe a Google search or two. I’ve owned Apple iPhone products since day 1 when the first iPhone was released on June 29th 2007 and I’ve owned every single major model upgrade since then, all the way to my iPhone 13 Pro Max 1TB, as well as a half dozen iPads. So it’s just my personal observation through more than a decade and a half. So yeah tons of personal experience with Apple products. And it’s not your place to dictate what other people can say on this forum. You don’t like it? Keep scrolling. You nor anyone else decides what is and isn’t said.
Now you’re comments have caused me to not take you or your opinion seriously.

You dig?

And quite honestly, I’ve had about 10 Android devices over the decades and I absolutely hated them. That is until this TripleTek 8” Pro came along.

I don't doubt that you believe that, or that you can find several incidents on the web if you go looking for them.

But I've had iPhones since v4 (they're now to 13) and several iPads (currently two) and personally have had none of the problems you mentioned. Also, I have had 30 years in a professional career in a large technology company with people using all of the devices, and this is the first time I've heard the overheat and dark screen issues you're talking about. (We've all heard about the planned obsolescence reputation they have, mostly to do with battery life.)

So I can say from personal and professional experience that "they all overheat and darken, no matter the model" is, in a word, hyperbole. And I personally have had ZERO incidents of what you speak of.

Chris

Here ya go Chris,

I'm actually astonished that you haven't heard of this issue. It's been around forever. That's why products like CrystalSky and TriplTek have come to market.

And like you, I have also been in the high-tech industry for over 45 years as a FS Engineer, and I've actually worked in semiconductor manufacturing FABs like Intel Corporation, IBM, TSMC, Atmel, LSi Logic, WaferTech and others, actually fabricating integrated circuits on silicon wafers working in Ion Implantation, Diffusion, Etch, Lithography, Thin Films, etc so I'm pretty darn familiar with the intricacies of electronic circuitry. The number one killer of electronics in general is HEAT. So that's why manufacturers like Apple incorporate circuit-saving designs in order to mitigate overheating issues. So yes, I stand by all of my original statements, Apple incorporates this specific feature to darken the screen when temperatures bypass the threshold set for that device.

Cheers, mate!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cadillac2012
Those are nicely selected threads, good anecdotal examples, but they don't put a dent in the absolute statement that ALL makes, ALL models, darken and overheat. Why can't you just see and admit that, while you still believe these things do occur, you might have overstated the scope of the problems?

I'm certainly not going to spend any of my valuable time finding counter data because this is no longer useful to the OP (if it ever was), so I'm out. Feel free to carry on.

Chris

TRIPLTEK 8" PRO, AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME. It was made specifically for Drone pilots! Forget all Apple products, they all overheat and darken, no matter the model.
Never used one or desire to use one. All I have used in over 6 years are Apple products and never had one overheat unless I had let it sit on my truck seat in the summer in direct sun llght.
So i disagree with you.
Now you and @ Not A Speck Of Cereal please stop going at each
other before I stop you. Consider this a warning.
Thanks.

If you happen to have or will be purchasing the Smart Controller, (I have the original one) then you can use the HDMI out port on that and plug it right into the incredibly bright 7 inch and I think they now do an 8 inch, Feel World monitor. They are an astounding 2,200NITS, so beat the pants off the Crystal Sky, the CS Max and the TripleTek 7 or 8 inch monitors. Plus you can get them new for around $235. I got an open box deal on ebay for $170. B&H sell them for around $235. I believe, or they used to be that price. Check out Feel World Monitors.

Reactions: Eagle430

Dig?

I was looking at iPad mini 5, (rated at 500nits) and also came across by searching an interesting tablet:
Samsung Tab active 3 , looks very robust and it's rated at 700nits

I didn't know smart controllers became so cheap now , any risks of buying a used one for my Mavic 2 pro? (If I find one in good price)

If you happen to have or will be purchasing the Smart Controller, (I have the original one) then you can use the HDMI out port on that and plug it right into the incredibly bright 7 inch and I think they now do an 8 inch, Feel World monitor. They are an astounding 2,200NITS, so beat the pants off the Crystal Sky, the CS Max and the TripleTek 7 or 8 inch monitors. Plus you can get them new for around $235. I got an open box deal on ebay for $170. B&H sell them for around $235. I believe, or they used to be that price. Check out Feel World Monitors.
Sorry I didnt understand your recommendation, are you taking about the smart controller being around $235? An eBay search found the cheapest to be over $550

Sorry I didnt understand your recommendation, are you taking about the smart controller being around $235? An eBay search found the cheapest to be over $550
No, please read again what I stated. We are all talking about a monitor here for use with your drone. I said that if you have or might be considering purchasing a Smart Controller, then think about amazingly bright (2,200NITS) Feel world monitors. I went on to say they beat the pants off all the other monitors suggested and gave examples such as the CS and the CS Max plus the Tripletek.

All of these are monitors, NOT controllers for the drone. I mentioned the Smart Controller at the start because I stated that it has the HDMI out-port on it, which can connect to the HDMI port in the Feel World monitor. Nowhere did I mention the SC after that initial naming, in order to explain the rest of the info that I wrote.

Since I only mentioned the SC in my first sentence and no mention after that, but did speak about monitors, and then spoke about the price at the end, I would assume that anyone reading would also understand that this was about monitors and the price would pertain to monitors. If you would do a search on the Feel World that I suggested, you would have seen that the $235 price mentioned, would have been around the going price for that monitor, either on ebay or at B&H.

I stated that you can get them new for around $235, that statement alone should have been enough for you to understand that I was not speaking of a Smart Controller, since they have never been that price or even remotely close to such a price, when purchased new. Hope that clears it up.

Reactions: Eagle430
I was looking at iPad mini 5, 2019 , 7.9inch , 3gb ram, anyone using this tablet? If yes any issues with it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_