DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

8 pin cable attaching damping plate to aircraft?

mlrobbo

Reactions
My very gently used MA says cannot fly. under overall status it claims
1. Gimbal cannot receive main controller data, says to Unplug the 8 pin cable connecting the damping plate and aircraft.
2. Accelerometer failed, says to restart aircraft
3. Gyroscope Error, restart aircraft
4. Barometer error, restart aircraft
Started right after a firmware update (of course). I'm so frustrated after attempting dialogue with DJI chat support many times that got me nowhere. I've re DL'd Assistant 2 and re done firmware, no change. I wish I could opt for a previous firmware but mine doesn't have that option. I've now watched youtube vids and removed the outer plastic shell but don't see any obviously loose connections or problems. Only thing I noticed was that the rectangular metal piece that sits underneath the fan on top gets really hot, really fast but that could be how it works for all I know. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would really appreciate the help. Thank you very much, rob (mlrobbo)

Problem? see above

Was unit in a crash? no

What have you tried so far? see above

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? new Moto Z phone.

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? most recent one available on Assistant 2

What Go app version are you using? 4

Any modification?
(if so what)No

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what)No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) Not at the moment

Last edited:
Are you sure it was never crashed and just started doing this after an update?

Dont bother with DJI Assistant 2, it wont help. Your problem is mechanical.

That silver box under your cooling fan is a chip. Its supposed to get hot. thats why the fan is mounted on top of it, but the fan also cools the heat sink on top of the core board.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Are you sure it was never crashed and just started doing this after an update?

Dont bother with DJI Assistant 2, it wont help. Your problem is mechanical.

That silver box under your cooling fan is a chip. Its supposed to get hot. thats why the fan is mounted on top of it, but the fan also cools the heat sink on top of the core board.
Thank you, I much appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I honestly have only gently used it and never so much as a hard landing. I've even been wracking my brain to think if it was dropped while not flying like in it's case but can't come up with anything. So any idea about the 8 pin cable and damping plate? I can continue the tear down while following the youtube vids but obviously the more taken apart, the more risk. thanks again.

I took some other pictures last night but can't find them. Here is two that I tookView attachment 72640View attachment 72641
I had mine opened up to the stage of your top pic but didn't proceed below motherboard. Put back just as it was but same error messages came back. Unless someone can point me in a specific area I guess I open it up again and continue on with tear down of next level down hoping to see a loose chip or something. Based on the error messages where do you think the problem is located? in the motherboard area or inside the camera gimbal unit? thanks

Hi there, although I do not have a solution. It does seem that the liquid indicators have all been activated. There could be some corrosion in the electrical connections causing some issues.

Are you aware if this one has been soaked? I have had decent results by gently scrubbing all components (especially the cable connectors) with a toothbrush and isopropyl.

Hi there, although I do not have a solution. It does seem that the liquid indicators have all been activated. There could be some corrosion in the electrical connections causing some issues.

Are you aware if this one has been soaked? I have had decent results by gently scrubbing all components (especially the cable connectors) with a toothbrush and isopropyl.
Yes those are my pictures not the OPs. This one spent some time at the bottom of a Lake. But I was using it for illustration purposes.

[emoji6]

Make sure this is plugged in

View attachment 72761
Yes those are my pictures not the OPs. This one spent some time at the bottom of a Lake. But I was using it for illustration purposes.

[emoji6]
Oh, that's why it's so funky looking inside. I'm beyond frustrated now. Just spent half a day tearing it down and putting it back together. Nothing out of place or loose, pristine inside and out yet the same error messages appear. I can only assume maybe a faulty chip that went bad or something. Guess I'll have to send it in to DJI and pray they don't gouge me. thanks for all the support though people, I do appreciate your help.

Thank you, I much appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I honestly have only gently used it and never so much as a hard landing. I've even been wracking my brain to think if it was dropped while not flying like in it's case but can't come up with anything. So any idea about the 8 pin cable and damping plate? I can continue the tear down while following the youtube vids but obviously the more taken apart, the more risk. thanks again.

I don't know about your skill level with drones or other precision electronics, but I strongly urge you NOT to try fixing anything "under the hood", especially if you're still under warranty.

I learned the hard way that even something as "simple" as replacing the battery in an iPhone, can result in damage to the phone. In my case, I watched several videos of "how to" and read tons. I replaced the battery successfully, but somehow I accidentally damaged a wire/connector. The phone was out of warranty, so I didn't have much to lose. I replaced that connector, but must have damaged something else, b/c the phone never worked again. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I appreciate the warning and I know it was meant in the spirit of saving me heartache and frustration but I was able to slowly and methodically break it down (following youtube videos and other websites) then put it all back together successfully. Though the same errors are still present. To you I suggest maybe taking an old non working drone or phone and watch some youtube videos and have some fun. You might not end up doing major auto repairs like me but maybe you'll be able to change a battery on an iPhone. cheers!

Oh, that's why it's so funky looking inside. I'm beyond frustrated now. Just spent half a day tearing it down and putting it back together. Nothing out of place or loose, pristine inside and out yet the same error messages appear. I can only assume maybe a faulty chip that went bad or something. Guess I'll have to send it in to DJI and pray they don't gouge me. thanks for all the support though people, I do appreciate your help.
Did you end up contacting DJI and were they able to fix your Mavic Air? I'm having the exact same issue. I took it completely apart and put back together. Didn't find anything amiss and it still has the same errors on startup. Thanks.

Did you end up contacting DJI and were they able to fix your Mavic Air? I'm having the exact same issue. I took it completely apart and put back together. Didn't find anything amiss and it still has the same errors on startup. Thanks.
Was there any solution found? I am also going through the problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka