DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

8331 quiet props scratched my quadcopter

Thanks yeah i threw my originals back on.. some guys are saying the Dji specific quiet props may be different i guess not as curved in some manner? but still on the high wind day idk if there would have been a big difference.

Has anyone compared Dji quiet props with other quiet props??

Reactions: mrreddog
The ones I had seemed very long, with the curved ends that come very close to the body, mine were super cheap so they had to be fake.

If the props are contacting the body of the drone than that is an unsafe flight risk as far as I'm concerned. Those props should be removed from the drone IMMEDIATELY and never used again. It's not just a cosmetic concern, it could result in the loss of your drone or, worse, injury to someone else or damage to their property.

Now that you've been advised, you will be NEGLIGENT if these knockoff props cause injury or damage. Jurors LOVE awarding treble damages for negligence.

Mark

Yeah just tried mine today. Slight scratch and yes sport mode, windy day. Mine are cheapos but they are flimsy. Hmmm maybe should try dji ones. They cost me 9x the price though haha

Very old thread, but . . .
I’ve had genuine 8331 props on the M1P for a couple of years, fly sports mode occasionally, no scratches at all.
Obviously the ones concerned were non genuine and yes you get what you pay for.
Wish the OP had posted some pics though.
I love how quiet and efficient mine is, would not go back to normal 8330 props, but keep the originals and spare flymores for back ups.
I have 2 spare sets of 8331 in the bag so probably the stick ones won’t see air time again :)

Thank you for all your responses guy. Dji props or not, under high winds and sport mode same results would occur, the scratches are very insignificant so all is good, also the ambient noise of outside (and windy day) would not allow me to hear and extra scratching sound. My only reason to want to use the 8331 quiet props was MOSTLY for effieciency. With original props 567 avg. Rpm and with Quiet props the avg. Rpm was 485. I am now aware of the pros and cons, thanks everyone for chiming in, Happy flying my Mavic brothers! Well and sisters lol!

Rock M.
Interesting thread. The stock DJI prop's for the Mavic Pro are 8330 - that number means 8.3" diameter, with 3.0" pitch. The DJI 'Quiet' prop's are 8331 - again 8.3" diameter, but with 3.1" pitch. I'm interested to know where the prop's are impacting on the Mavic Pro fuselage, as they should be the same diameter as the stock units.
If you are really interested in 'efficiency' - then don't look at 8331 prop's from DJI or a 3rd party - get the best prop's from Master Airscrew. They are the quietest and will give another couple of min's per battery - due to the lower rpm required to keep the Mavic in the air.

They weren’t genuine 8331 props though, specs could have been completely different to DJI genuine.
The thread isn’t really a concern to pilots using 8331 on their M1P.
You say that, but the illustration attached in Post #4 could easily be taken as being the real thing. Somebody else could buy these thinking they are genuine??? What is of concern is that the spec's - i.e. the 8331 numbering - should mean that the prop's have a diameter of 8.3" ... If they don't, that is a way to tell they are not genuine or even a good copy!
I'd still be interested in just what part of the Mavic the prop's were hitting?

Yep they (usually Chinese factories) make knock offs of anything pretty well, but often inferior materials and / or production quality that makes a difference.
The OP has only ever had 4 posts, and I think this thread was it, unlikely we’ll hear about it, and after nearly 2 years memory would be unreliable.
The 8331 design / shape doesn’t lend itself to being any closer to the body than the 8330 props, otherwise the MPP would also have this issue.
I’d say the props were far more flexible than genuine, and it was hard braking in sports mode that caused the props to flex towards the body and touch.
(If it wasn’t scuffing from bad storage.)

I’d say the props were far more flexible than genuine, and it was hard braking in sports mode that caused the props to flex towards the body and touch.
(If it wasn’t scuffing from bad storage.)
Yes - that's what has me mystified! If you hard-brake, then you'd expect the nose to go high and the Mavic to pancake into the air, forcing the prop blades up and back ... in other words - away from the fuselage - and not onto it ...

Well I've ordered a set of carbon fibre and see what happens. The 8331 props were a lot more flexible compared to original. First time flying it and saw a slight scratch from the 2 front blades flying in windy conditions and sports mode and hard braking lol Can't wait to get my carbon fibre and try that out, because 8331 blades I REALY notice lower noise and also reduces RPM which will make the motors last longer.

Reactions: sharkface
Well I've ordered a set of carbon fibre and see what happens. The 8331 props were a lot more flexible compared to original. First time flying it and saw a slight scratch from the 2 front blades flying in windy conditions and sports mode and hard braking lol Can't wait to get my carbon fibre and try that out, because 8331 blades I REALY notice lower noise and also reduces RPM which will make the motors last longer.
I did tests with carbon fibre (CF) prop's and you are correct in that the rpm is lower with CF prop's - But - the motors are actually working harder to push the blade through the air because it's not as flexible length and width-wise as the stock DJI 8331 prop'. I found that the flight duration was shortened when using the CF prop's. That effectively means that the motors are pulling more battery current - and working harder.
As a comparison, the Master Airscrew 'Stealth' prop's for the Mavic Pro also have a lower rpm than the DJI stock (similar rpm to the CF prop's in fact), but due to their efficient aerodynamics, they do actually produce more lift for lower battery consumption and do give you a couple of minutes more on a flight.
It's strange in that you get the same lower rpm feature for both CF & MAS, but for entirely different reasons.

Yes - that's what has me mystified! If you hard-brake, then you'd expect the nose to go high and the Mavic to pancake into the air, forcing the prop blades up and back ... in other words - away from the fuselage - and not onto it ...

I thought hard braking would be the cause, as even accelerating under peak power up / forwards, the props move away from the body.
When braking they would / should be neutral, or flex the other way in the right circumstances (sports mode and hit pause) ?
I wonder if sports mode and sideways pitch / strafe / crab makes at least one side of the props get close enough to touch ?

I did notice though I was flying pretty hard but the marks made is only slight, hardly visible. I'll try some sticky tape at the spot and see if it gets cut or not next time.

Mavic mini got me into this drone hobby and upgraded to mavic pro and so glad I did. I love the "customizations" of the software haha Pity mavic 2 is not possible :(

I did notice though I was flying pretty hard but the marks made is only slight, hardly visible. I'll try some sticky tape at the spot and see if it gets cut or not next time.

Mavic mini got me into this drone hobby and upgraded to mavic pro and so glad I did. I love the "customizations" of the software haha Pity mavic 2 is not possible :(

I see in post #25 you said yours are also non genuine 8331 props.
Not sure if it has any relevance to the DJI genuine 8831s as they are likely very different in materials and production quality.
Do you remember what they set you back ?
As mention previously a put of 8331 DJI props are not a big outlay in the scope of a drone cost.

Yeah nah I'm pretty sure they are non genuine. Only $10 for 4 propellers. I'm just curious though as I would expect more scratches to the body flying how I did. And also I tried the hand catch and turn 90 degrees maneuver but forgot that my patch that I did to the drone, disable that functionality and to land I can only push down on the left joystick.

So thinking all that I want to try the blades again and see what happens but those master airscrews does look good! already ordered a set hahah

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Yeah nah I'm pretty sure they are non genuine. Only $10 for 4 propellers. I'm just curious though as I would expect more scratches to the body flying how I did. And also I tried the hand catch and turn 90 degrees maneuver but forgot that my patch that I did to the drone, disable that functionality and to land I can only push down on the left joystick.

So thinking all that I want to try the blades again and see what happens but those master airscrews does look good! already ordered a set hahah
I have the same problems with slapping of blades. I painted the tips bright sunburst yellow. now I have yellow slashes on the body all over the place. I am going to try mavic 2 pro props. they are a bit longer than the platinum props. the body, or props need to be shaved to work, but They do look thicker, wider, more pitch?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400