DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A $25,000 maximum fine for flying without permission in a Canadian national parks but...

You don’t …
You can, but not for fun. This is for Banff, but other parks are the same (just different superintendents).

Commercial drone use – By permit only​

The Superintendent may only issue a Restricted Activity Permit for the use of a drone for the following purposes:
  • Natural or cultural resource management and protection
  • Public safety
  • Law enforcement
  • Park/site management purposes directly relating to park administrative purposes
If you would like to apply for a Restricted Activity Permit for the use of a drone, you must submit a written proposal to [email protected]. In your proposal you must clearly demonstrate how your intended use of a drone supports any of the above purposes. If your project involves commercial filming, please refer to the commercial film and photography guidelines for the mountain national parks for more information.

Drones are legally aircraft, and approving them is within the powers of a superintendent.

Reactions: Zbip57
We don't have that up here.

IIRC there was a question on my basic exam about not interfering with emergency operations.

It's right there on the Transport Canada web site:

It's also posted at all park entrances.

Of course, it's also posted that you should keep your dog on a leash at all times, yet I've watched families happily letting their Alsatians chase deer during birthing season, up in the high meadows. 🤬
I’m not sure about the basic exam, but there was a question on the advanced exam about the distance you need to maintain between your flight area and a wild fire (5NM)

Ok, so I am new to drone flying. I purchased an Air 2s. I have it registered in the US and Canada as I went to Canada on vacation this year. I am looking to get my 107. One of the first things I did was research where you can and cannot legally fly - relatively easy. I see no reason to make excuses for people who do not follow the documented rules of the land. As noted elsewhere, it s your responsibility to understand the rules.
Bottom line, live is difficult and it is more difficult if you are stupid!

I purchased an Air 2s. I have it registered in the US and Canada
To legally fly that in Canada, you will also need a Basic sRPAS Certification and (if not a Canadian) a Special Flight Operations Certificate.

Legal requirements when flying drones​

Drone pilots must follow the rules in the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs). Part IX – Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systemscontains most of the rules that apply to drones up to 25 kilograms. You should read these regulations in full before you fly your drone for the first time.

Drone pilots must carry a valid drone pilot certificate and only fly drones that are marked and registered. If you are flying a drone that is less than 250 grams, you do not need to register the drone or get a drone pilot certificate.

903.01 No person shall conduct any of the following operations using a remotely piloted aircraft system that includes a remotely piloted aircraft having a maximum take-off weight of 250 g (0.55 pounds) or more unless the person complies with the provisions of a special flight operations certificate — RPAS issued by the Minister under section 903.0

• (c) the operation of a system by a foreign operator or pilot who has been authorized to operate remotely piloted aircraft systems by the foreign state;

And, if you do fly a sub-250 gram aircraft in Canada, the rules are simple:

"Don't do anything stupid"
Which also means staying out of restricted airspace (prisons, critical infra, etc). A wildfire automatically becomes restricted airspace.

Its my understanding that to fly in Canadian National Parks you can take off outside the park and land outside the park without penalty. But you cannot take off and land inside the park. This makes it difficult to fly too many places. I get that they don't want drones in popular and thus crowded places, but make rules for that, not everywhere in the park. Even the most popular parks like YNP, have lots and lots of space where absolutely no one is, except perhaps the wolves. And do you honestly think that 25K is a fair penalty? Come on.
This is true for provincial parks, but national parks you need to be 2000' above ground level.

If you are flying a drone in Canada and your drone is above 249 grams you need a license.
In order to pass the exam to get a license you must be aware of the laws.
It's obvious to most that flying in national parks in Canada is illegal.
Fine them. They put others lives in jeopardy.
I'm not Canadian. But how do they put others lives in jeopardy flying illegally in a National Park?

I'm not Canadian. But how do they put others lives in jeopardy flying illegally in a National Park?
I believe "They put others lives in jeopardy." refers to the forrest fire situation. They had to ground 4 firefighting helicopters due to drone activity. The helicopters are flying low, in dense smoke. The drone could put the crews at risk, as well as the ground crews. The fire is also close to the Jasper townsite, which puts lives and homes at risk.

Where this is getting confusing is Parks Canada is the one talking to the media, and within their pervue they can fine to a max of $25,000 for flying in the park. Nav Canada may also issues fines, possibly several of them.

If you are flying a drone in Canada and your drone is above 249 grams you need a license.
In order to pass the exam to get a license you must be aware of the laws.
It's obvious to most that flying in national parks in Canada is illegal.
Fine them. They put others lives in jeopardy.
I totally agree with being informed of all the laws around Drone use. Just pointing out that the listed regulations that you study for the Canadian basic license makes no mentions of parks at all (provincial or national). the only area it’s listed is on the parks Canada website.

Its my understanding that to fly in Canadian National Parks you can take off outside the park and land outside the park without penalty. But you cannot take off and land inside the park. This makes it difficult to fly too many places. I get that they don't want drones in popular and thus crowded places, but make rules for that, not everywhere in the park. Even the most popular parks like YNP, have lots and lots of space where absolutely no one is, except perhaps the wolves. And do you honestly think that 25K is a fair penalty? Come on.
I thought the same thing, but that isn't correct. Doesn't matter where you take off or land, you cannot fly within the national park boundaries without explicit permission.

"Anyone caught operating a drone within park boundaries and without an approved permit may result in law enforcement action and a fine of up to $25,000."

In fairness, the Transport Canada website notes - "Drone pilots are not allowed to take-off or land within a national park." However, I am certain that Parks Canada views it as "caught operating a drone within park boundaries..."

The spirit of the rule is to not potentially disturb wildlife, and that could happen regardless whether the drone took off outside the boundaries or within them.

Last edited:
Just pointing out that the listed regulations that you study for the Canadian basic license makes no mentions of parks at all (provincial or national).
Actually not true. This is what Transport Canada says about drones and national parks:

National parks​

Drone pilots are not allowed to take-off or land within a national park.

A park superintendent may allow the use of drones in some cases. If you want to fly a drone in a national park, read about the use of drones at Parks Canada places and contact Parks Canada.

I also just completed my recurrency training and knowling that you can't fly in a national park was part of the test.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne