DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A $25,000 maximum fine for flying without permission in a Canadian national parks but...

Yes and they are most likely stupid to the laws and regs regarding
or maybe they knew 🤷‍♂️At any rate at some point they will learn
or just pay the price. Sorry but folks like this have been discussed
manytimes and can’t beleave they are members as we have discussed this many times so they should know.. Just stupid.
Or ignorant. You can’t blame ignorant people. They just don’t have comman sense..

There is a lot going here. First if i lifted my drone up and saw a wild fire, my first instinct would be not to land, it would be to stay watching the fire to see if I was safe from the fire.

The only reason why I know better is because of the Training and Information we get from this forum but Most Drone flyers have no clue as to how all Search < fire and Rescue Operations are Halted because of there drone .

Its not even on the 107 ??

A 25 thousand dollar fee is worthless if you are not aware , they would be better off spending that Money on a National TV Commercial educating those about the Halted Operations so parents and Teens a like can learn .

No one is flying on Purpose To Halt putting out the Fire when they are clearly in the path.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, and land quickly if you see a fire.

There is a lot going here. First if i lifted my drone up and saw a wild fire, my first instinct would be not to land, it would be to stay watching the fire to see if I was safe from the fire.

The only reason why I know better is because of the Training and Information we get from this forum but Most Drone flyers have no clue as to how all Search < fire and Rescue Operations are Halted because of there drone .

A 25 thousand dollar fee is worthless if you are not aware , they would be better off spending that Money on a National TV Commercial educating those about the Halted Operations so parents and Teens a like can learn .

No one is flying on Purpose To Halt putting out the Fire when they are clearly in the path.

Phantomrain.org
If you are flying a drone in Canada and your drone is above 249 grams you need a license.
In order to pass the exam to get a license you must be aware of the laws.
It's obvious to most that flying in national parks in Canada is illegal.
Fine them. They put others lives in jeopardy.

Some people buy and have no clue. It’s not on the box. Not making
excuses but they just don’t know. Most are stupid to our regs they just buy and fly. Not saying he didn’t just saying. I still say the box should say more than it does.

We don't have that up here.

IIRC there was a question on my basic exam about not interfering with emergency operations.

It's right there on the Transport Canada web site:

Areas that limit the use of drones​

Drones are considered aircraft under the Aeronautics Act and Canadian Aviation Regulations and are therefore prohibited to enter the following zones without the proper authorizations:

• Class F Special Use Restricted Airspace
  • Over a forest fire area or any area located within five nautical miles of a forest fire area, or in any airspace for which a NOTAM for Forest Fire Aircraft Operating Restrictions has been emitted
  • Zones where a 5.1 of the Aeronautics Act restrict the use of airspace to all aircraft has been emitted

It's also posted at all park entrances.

Of course, it's also posted that you should keep your dog on a leash at all times, yet I've watched families happily letting their Alsatians chase deer during birthing season, up in the high meadows. 🤬

If you are flying a drone in Canada and your drone is above 249 grams you need a license.
In order to pass the exam to get a license you must be aware of the laws.
It's obvious to most that flying in national parks in Canada is illegal.
Fine them. They put others lives in jeopardy.

90% of people who buy a drone for recreational purpose aren't even aware that there are laws..... most of the flyers i met this year wasn't even aware of TRUST... they all appreciated the MENTION
Maybe drone manufacturers could possibly print IN LARGE TEXT, on the box the drone is in, that "Certification Required To Fly" (TRUST) etc. etc.
and stores salesperson mentions it when someone is about to make a purchase.

excuses but they just don’t know. Most are stupid to our regs they just buy and fly. Not saying he didn’t just saying. I still say the box should say more than it does.
You're faster on the typing than I am.. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
When I bought my Mini 3 a month ago inside the box were information sheets for Australia and the EU directing people to web sites (with URLs and QR codes) to get more information about the legalities of flying.

A label on the outside of the box is a good idea.

OTOH, look at all the times we've seen posters on these forums arguing that rules are stupid and they should be allowed to fly as they choose because they are too smart to ever have an accident. :rolleyes:

90% of people who buy a drone for recreational purpose aren't even aware that there are laws..... most of the flyers i met this year wasn't even aware of TRUST... they all appreciated the MENTION
Maybe drone manufacturers could possibly print IN LARGE TEXT, on the box the drone is in, that "Certification Required To Fly" (TRUST) etc. etc.
and stores salesperson mentions it when someone is about to make a purchase.
They should but don‘t
When I bought my Mini 3 a month ago inside the box were information sheets for Australia and the EU directing people to web sites (with URLs and QR codes) to get more information about the legalities of flying.

A label on the outside of the box is a good idea.

OTOH, look at all the times we've seen posters on these forums arguing that rules are stupid and they should be allowed to fly as they choose because they are too smart to ever have an Gree
Agree but most don’t read. Charge then fly.

According to Parks Canada, the drone operators will be charged. Flying a drone in a park illegally can come with a fine of up to $25,000.

AWESOME! That's just what needs to happen.

South of Jasper a year or so ago, well inside the National Park boundary, here:
1662595445369.png
as my friend was shooting, directly overhead and apparently in Sport Mode, a Mini 2 ripped past, hell-bent for the opposite shore. I tried to find the operator, but couldn't. I think he was flying from inside a vehicle.

"Rules are for other people", I guess. I was right pissed off.

Phantomrain.org
This is no different than the person that shot a bear in Jasper National Park a few weeks ago.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Its my understanding that to fly in Canadian National Parks you can take off outside the park and land outside the park without penalty. But you cannot take off and land inside the park. This makes it difficult to fly too many places. I get that they don't want drones in popular and thus crowded places, but make rules for that, not everywhere in the park. Even the most popular parks like YNP, have lots and lots of space where absolutely no one is, except perhaps the wolves. And do you honestly think that 25K is a fair penalty? Come on.

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
[...] do you honestly think that 25K is a fair penalty? Come on.
The Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARS) list the maximum amount of penalty for contraventions by an Individual or a Corporation. Depending on the particular section of the CARS that has been contravened, the maximum penalty ranges from $1k, $3k, to $5k for an Individual, and $5k, $15k, to $25k for a Corporation.

Depending on the severity of the infraction, and what is considered fair, those are the maximum penalties. You may be let off with just a simple warning and no penalty at all, or they could throw the book at you.

See this link for the list of penalties. Scroll down to the Section 900 series which apply to Remotely Piloted Aircraft. laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/FullText.html#h-987975

Continue scrolling way down to find the corresponding Section 900 series of regulations, or open a 2nd browser window to start displaying from Section 900.01 here.
laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/FullText.html#h-1000299

I'm not sure where that news article came up with the $25k fine for flying within a National Park. But anyone caught doing so, while claiming ignorance, will likely also be ignorant of multiple other requirements, such as those for registration, licensing, record keeping, etc. So the total accumulated penalty for each of the various infractions can surely add up to a significant amount, depending on how fair the penalty should be.

Is $25k a fair penalty for flying a drone that disturbs picnicking tourists or wildlife in a park that otherwise allows noisy Harley Davidson motorcycles into their parking lots? Probably not. But in this particular incident the drone flight caused fire-fighting operations to be interrupted in a major fire that's threatening the town of Jasper in the heart of Jasper National Park. In this case, it's a certainty that fair and severe penalties will be applied.

Yeah, maybe if you plead ignorance, they will knock it down to a mere $5k and in Canuck dollars that's only around $4K US. ha ha.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan