DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A cop stoped me from flying my drone near a plaza, was the scariest moment of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then again, there are just some People out here who apparently can’t stand to see People having any Fun! Another reason why I don’t let them see me take off!

Being a law enforcement officer for 32 years and avid drone flyer I must say that your advise really "sucks!"..
Why not engage in a conversation with the LEO...
People with attitudes like yours make a LEO job tougher..
I always treated people the way they treated me...

I have to agree. We have a lot of LEO friends down here in South Florida, and in my experience most are some of the best people you could hope to know. There's always a few with a chip on their shoulders, for whatever reason, but they are all people, and there's no reason not to engage in a friendly conversation with them.

I do understand it's different being a teenager, and being one of color can make the encounter "feel" different. It sucks that you have been conditioned to fear the police, especially since you seem to be a good kid out for honest, educational fun. Police may approach you in one way, and after assessing the situation change completely. Remember, they are there to first do a job, and that means protecting the community. Once they see you aren't a threat to that, the dynamic can change. You were probably so terrified that you exhibited visual clues that made him wonder why your anxiety was increasing. To a LEO, that can be a sign that someone is afraid of being caught for something. Unfortunately for you, it was a product of being an an unfamiliar and scary situation, but it seems like he figured that out, and he told you to be on your way.

Just be friendly, and honest, and the encounter will almost always shift to a pleasant one. Sorry you were so scared, but he's right, flying a drone in a public space like that is prohibited and can be dangerous. Your encounter with him is much better than the one you'd have had if you crashed your drone into a store, car, or person! Hopefully you can come away from this with a better perception of the police. It's s scary job, and they will probably be just as relieved to find that you're just a good kid out for some honest fun, and not up to no good.

Enjoy the drone, and fly safe! It's an addicting hobby for sure.

Today, I was out to a dollar tree to lick up some things, I decided to fly my Mavic pro. Sure the gimbal arm was burned up and would not stabilize, but I was exited of the new range capibilities I unlocked after replacing some components.

A officer pulled up to me, he got out of his car and told me I wasn't allowed to fly it there.

Despite me not being in big trouble, I was very scared. The officer saw this and decided to talk to me.

He was curious as to why I was acting the way I was acting, I told him I got my "toy" for my birthday. He said he didn't care about my drone anymore, he was more worried as to why I was acting the way I acting.

I told him I was afraid of cops in general, which I am.

He asked why would I be afraid of him unless I Knowingly did something wrong.
I froze. And he just stood there and watched me as I trembled in place because I was crapping myself.

He told me, "I'll tell you what. I see your scared of something. I can tell because you can't stand up straight and you seem like you don't know how to breathe. So just do what you got to do. Just don't fly your drone here. Alright?" I said ok and I packed my stuff and and left just as fast is your mavics can get from your house to your local supermarket in less then 2 minutes.

One thing that gets me is, how did he guess I was scared of him. He don't even really know why I was scared until after I told him.

And another thing, what did he mean by "you seem like you don't know how to breathe" I was breathing fine I guess so I really don't know what he meant. But I'm happy things didn't go left like how it happenes on YouTube videos with faa tickets and stuff.
Polite, cooperative and responsive works real well. I’m sorry that your experience was so frightening. Granted it’s not an uncommon feeling as they are authoritative. When Driving along and I see the Christmas tree go off in my rear view, I think it’s “normal” to have a sense of fear. Truth is BigAl and I have much in common evidently. Truth be told, they are the “good guys”. They are compensated to serve. They are also in the lime light and heavily scrutinized (which might be an ok thing). Oh, pulled over put your hands visible on top of the steering wheel and don’t start reaching for anything. I think if you learn to meditate you might help yourself not to hyperventilate in times like this. Blowing off too much CO2 is easily recognizable besides faster breathing or hyper vigilance even by looking at your hands/feet (carpal/pedal spasms). It also can triggers red flags. Speaking truthfully was a good choice. Hoping you carry your “cards” or copies of showing your due diligence and ASK to show them to him/her. Thanking them and packing up to split is the best route. Path of least resistance. You’re not a terrorist. Sounds like you’ve been traumatized in someway prior or carry preconceived notions. Try to keep in mind what BigAl noted that the bulk of police officers are good guys. They’re regular dudes with wives and kids and “toys” along with a few bad apples not unlike any orchards. You have a good clean honest “hobby”. Enjoy it. FAA says You’re allowed as long as you follow the rules. Stay close to the section on MavicPilots on rules and regs. Do a search and I’m betting you’ll see posts similar to your own. Fly safe, and Godspeed, Droniac

With all due respect, I do not believe that those of us who are by all appearances older white men share an experience of the world with someone who by all appearances is a younger person of color. I know from personal acquaintances (not news stories) that even the most well intentioned police officer will often react to a young black person differently than they would react to me.

Being properly certified and aware of local drone restrictions is good advice for anyone. But I would not presume to provide advice on how to interact with police officer to someone who's experience may be different than mine.
I know you are probably referring to me. But let it be known that my family has adopted children from Nigeria, 14 and 15 years old. I think I have a pretty good handle knowing what this young man went through. There are a lot of factors at play and I could write half a book on, but the thread having been warned to stay clear of politics, which includes talking about the truth of the country and world prohibits me from commenting further.

Hopefully not inducing the ire of the moderators, I just want to point out that there are so many outlets who profit from inducing fear which promotes divisiveness. I'll leave it at that.

Being a law enforcement officer for 32 years and avid drone flyer I must say that your advise really "sucks!"..
Why not engage in a conversation with the LEO...
People with attitudes like yours make a LEO job tougher..
I always treated people the way they treated me...
A. Never talk to police. There are plenty of videos on YT explaining why.
B. It's not my job to make a cop's life easier. How about this, if I'm not breaking a law, don't engage with me and go off to find someone who is. It's also not my job to satisfy some bored cop's curiosity.
C. You were a public servant. You're supposed to treat people courteously even when they're being irate, let alone just dismissive.

Reactions: Corsair415
Not interested in a second career as a babysitter. Here for drone talk, not medical advice or political agendas.
Future conversations are ignored.

Don't engage in conversation, he's not being friendly, he's looking for anything to charge you with. Ask him where it says it's a no fly zone so you know in the future. Ask for his name and badge number. Verify it's not a no fly zone and file a complaint against the officer.

Also, settle down. He's just a public servant.
Yep!
A public servant...
With a gun!
Just saying...

Anxiety will lock you op entirely and make you lose control of all sorts of things. It's not abnormal. I remember the time I was at school, a bit younger than you, casually and innocently exploring the back of the school's stage when I felt a hand strongly grasp my shoulder. I actually did pee my pants. It turned out to be only a teacher who said I shouldn't be back there. But there I was with wet pants. I'll never forget that moment. When you feel that you can't breathe, focus on doing so. That will help bring back your compo

I’ll buy 50%.not more. Lol. Godspeed, Droniac
Whats it like to go godspeed?

• Haha
Reactions: Beet
Today, I was out to a dollar tree to lick up some things, I decided to fly my Mavic pro. Sure the gimbal arm was burned up and would not stabilize, but I was exited of the new range capibilities I unlocked after replacing some components.

A officer pulled up to me, he got out of his car and told me I wasn't allowed to fly it there.

Despite me not being in big trouble, I was very scared. The officer saw this and decided to talk to me.

He was curious as to why I was acting the way I was acting, I told him I got my "toy" for my birthday. He said he didn't care about my drone anymore, he was more worried as to why I was acting the way I acting.

I froze. And he just stood there and watched me as I trembled in place because I was crapping myself.

He told me, "I'll tell you what. I see your scared of something. I can tell because you can't stand up straight and you seem like you don't know how to breathe. So just do what you got to do. Just don't fly your drone here. Alright?" I said ok and I packed my stuff and and left just as fast is your mavics can get from your house to your local supermarket in less then 2 minutes.

One thing that gets me is, how did he guess I was scared of him. He don't even really know why I was scared until after I told him.

And another thing, what did he mean by "you seem like you don't know how to breathe" I was breathing fine I guess so I really don't know what he meant. But I'm happy things didn't go left like how it happenes on YouTube videos with faa tickets and stuff.

If you go to the website abledronetest dot com and spend twenty for a lifetime membership, you will learn enough to know where you can fly and where you can't. You will be able to educate the cops of this world. (of which I am one) You will be able to start a high paying career which will see you into the life of your dreams.

Reactions: Droniac
This really has nothing to do with Drone flying, unless of course you just like telling the drone community you like flying a drone that isn’t air worthy in a built up area!

I’m guessing you’re in the USA with the blantant use of words and phrases like “it was the most scared I’ve been in my life!” Sounds like you’ve had a pretty low risk life in that case.

The art of good policing is “prevention”. If arrests or even shooting happen then something has gone wrong. So helping someone stay inside the law in the manner that he did sounds like he did a great job and you should be commending him. It seems that you’re trying to drum up support for some other “social issues”.

Please remember, people who fly their drones in an unsafe state and/or fly in a way that attracts police attention and/or breaking air rules don’t do the drone flying community any good.

Good look fixing your drone, learning the FAA rules, finding somewhere safe to fly and avoiding police attention

I know you are probably referring to me. But let it be known that my family has adopted children from Nigeria, 14 and 15 years old. I think I have a pretty good handle knowing what this young man went through. There are a lot of factors at play and I could write half a book on, but the thread having been warned to stay clear of politics, which includes talking about the truth of the country and world prohibits me from commenting further.

Hopefully not inducing the ire of the moderators, I just want to point out that there are so many outlets who profit from inducing fear which promotes divisiveness. I'll leave it at that.
Point well taken. Godspeed always, Droniac

Polite, cooperative and responsive works real well. I’m sorry that your experience was so frightening. Granted it’s not an uncommon feeling as they are authoritative. When Driving along and I see the Christmas tree go off in my rear view, I think it’s “normal” to have a sense of fear. Truth is BigAl and I have much in common evidently. Truth be told, they are the “good guys”. They are compensated to serve. They are also in the lime light and heavily scrutinized (which might be an ok thing). Oh, pulled over put your hands visible on top of the steering wheel and don’t start reaching for anything. I think if you learn to meditate you might help yourself not to hyperventilate in times like this. Blowing off too much CO2 is easily recognizable besides faster breathing or hyper vigilance even by looking at your hands/feet (carpal/pedal spasms). It also can triggers red flags. Speaking truthfully was a good choice. Hoping you carry your “cards” or copies of showing your due diligence and ASK to show them to him/her. Thanking them and packing up to split is the best route. Path of least resistance. You’re not a terrorist. Sounds like you’ve been traumatized in someway prior or carry preconceived notions. Try to keep in mind what BigAl noted that the bulk of police officers are good guys. They’re regular dudes with wives and kids and “toys” along with a few bad apples not unlike any orchards. You have a good clean honest “hobby”. Enjoy it. FAA says You’re allowed as long as you follow the rules. Stay close to the section on MavicPilots on rules and regs. Do a search and I’m betting you’ll see posts similar to your own. Fly safe, and Godspeed, Droniac
I don't drive a car. I drive a hoverboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo