DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A cop stoped me from flying my drone near a plaza, was the scariest moment of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Today, I was out to a dollar tree to lick up some things, I decided to fly my Mavic pro. Sure the gimbal arm was burned up and would not stabilize, but I was exited of the new range capibilities I unlocked after replacing some components.

A officer pulled up to me, he got out of his car and told me I wasn't allowed to fly it there.

Despite me not being in big trouble, I was very scared. The officer saw this and decided to talk to me.

He was curious as to why I was acting the way I was acting, I told him I got my "toy" for my birthday. He said he didn't care about my drone anymore, he was more worried as to why I was acting the way I acting.

I told him I was afraid of cops in general, which I am.

He asked why would I be afraid of him unless I Knowingly did something wrong.
I froze. And he just stood there and watched me as I trembled in place because I was crapping myself.

He told me, "I'll tell you what. I see your scared of something. I can tell because you can't stand up straight and you seem like you don't know how to breathe. So just do what you got to do. Just don't fly your drone here. Alright?" I said ok and I packed my stuff and and left just as fast is your mavics can get from your house to your local supermarket in less then 2 minutes.

One thing that gets me is, how did he guess I was scared of him. He don't even really know why I was scared until after I told him.

And another thing, what did he mean by "you seem like you don't know how to breathe" I was breathing fine I guess so I really don't know what he meant. But I'm happy things didn't go left like how it happenes on YouTube videos with faa tickets and stuff.

He picked up all that from your actions and behavior.

If you did/do nothing wrong the vast majority of the time Law Enforcement won't even pay you any attention.

I spent a good portion of my early life on the "wrong side" of Law Enforcement. Nothing brutal except I liked to drive REALLY FAST and I didn't always pull over like I was supposed to. I created my own issues through my own actions (or lack there of).

Now I am on the "good" side of the equation and the vast majority of my friends (close and extended) are actually Law Enforcement. A good portion of my work involves working with (training) Law Enforcement Officers and I can say with complete confidence that Law Enforcement (the VAST majority) are very good people and only want to do what's right. There are bad apples (just like EVERY other occupation) but most are good and honest and only doing their best to protect and serve your community.

A officer pulled up to me, he got out of his car and told me I wasn't allowed to fly it there.

He was curious as to why I was acting the way I was acting, I told him I got my "toy" for my birthday. He said he didn't care about my drone anymore, he was more worried as to why I was acting the way I acting.

Don't engage in conversation, he's not being friendly, he's looking for anything to charge you with. Ask him where it says it's a no fly zone so you know in the future. Ask for his name and badge number. Verify it's not a no fly zone and file a complaint against the officer.

Also, settle down. He's just a public servant.

Reactions: Jam0ne and rx7ward
U
But I'm happy things didn't go left like how it happenes on YouTube videos with faa tickets and stuff.
Unfortunately sensational videos tend to garner more views than humdrum videos of cops going about their business on a routine day. There are videos of cops doing people favours or saving lives but unfortunately they rarely attract attention.
Be poilte, don't antagonise them and it is my experience that most cops will turn out to be human, they have a job to do, let them do it and they will largely leave you in peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, I was out to a dollar tree to lick up some things, I decided to fly my Mavic pro. Sure the gimbal arm was burned up and would not stabilize, but I was exited of the new range capibilities I unlocked after replacing some components.

Despite me not being in big trouble, I was very scared. The officer saw this and decided to talk to me.

I froze. And he just stood there and watched me as I trembled in place because I was crapping myself.

He told me, "I'll tell you what. I see your scared of something. I can tell because you can't stand up straight and you seem like you don't know how to breathe. So just do what you got to do. Just don't fly your drone here. Alright?" I said ok and I packed my stuff and and left just as fast is your mavics can get from your house to your local supermarket in less then 2 minutes.

One thing that gets me is, how did he guess I was scared of him. He don't even really know why I was scared until after I told him.

And another thing, what did he mean by "you seem like you don't know how to breathe" I was breathing fine I guess so I really don't know what he meant. But I'm happy things didn't go left like how it happenes on YouTube videos with faa tickets and stuff.
I am glad it turned out as it did. You caught his attention by flying the Drone in a public area "which was probably his beat". He was probably concerned it may have either flown into a property or even people. Anyway, it turned out ok for both sides and I am glad for you.

Law Enforcement Officers have some training in reading people's reactions. People do things when they are nervous, scared, upset, or even happy. The officer could have picked up on your reactions. Since you are afraid of LEOs in general, you were probably reacting a certain way, consciously or unconsciously. By your account, he may have sensed this and chose to de-escalate the encounter, maybe hoping to let you know you don't need to be afraid and just gave you a warning.
Obviously, I wasn't there - Just my observation.

I think there are so many things at play here, not the least of you being only 16. If your avatar reflects who you are, you've been conditioned to an extent to be afraid of the police. The current news cycle has been pumping the propaganda of wide spread systemic racism 24/7, largely for political leverage. That's unfortunate. But I understand why you might have been terrified. How did he know that you were scared/nervous? I am certain your body was pumping out adrenaline like you'd never experienced and it becomes extremely visible, especially to trained observers as most police are. I hope this encounter helps you to see that the police aren't just out to get you and are just doing there job to protect the community. You were probably flying in a private parking lot (meaning launching and landing) which may be prohibited by local law as it is considered private property. I don't know which. Hence the officer stopped to have a talk with you. I hope that once you process the experience you come away feeling that every encounter with law enforcement doesn't have to be a scary experience. It's normal for any one of us to be nervous. You are not alone.

Regardless of this or any situation, flying a drone, anywhere, is going to draw attention to yourself, sometimes automatically negative attention. A lot of "authorities", meaning legitimate law enforcement as well as "self appointed" authorities will challenge you flying, often not knowing the law themselves and will try to wrongfully bully you. We adults experience that relatively frequently, so expect it. I know it's hard for a young person to stand up to adults, so you have to do it with respect, armed with knowledge. So it is in your interest to know all the rules and regulations, inside and out, for the area that you will be flying in by doing your due diligence in research and printing out state, and local laws as well as the FAA regs and keeping them with you when you fly. While your drone can be great fun, it's not a "toy" and people don't look at it as such, so you need to be prepared to approach it as a full grown adult.

In the meantime, if you haven't started doing so already, you should start by taking the newly mandatory "Trust" test required of all UAV pilots. You need to do that, and as you go through that process it will help you understand more about your obligations as a UAV pilot. Below find a link to the FAA cite where you can read about and find out which links can take you to the free, online TRUST test. Good luck.

FAA Trust test information link

With all due respect, I do not believe that those of us who are by all appearances older white men share an experience of the world with someone who by all appearances is a younger person of color. I know from personal acquaintances (not news stories) that even the most well intentioned police officer will often react to a young black person differently than they would react to me.

Being properly certified and aware of local drone restrictions is good advice for anyone. But I would not presume to provide advice on how to interact with police officer to someone who's experience may be different than mine.

Good advice above, but please as tempting as it is . . .

Don't fly the M1P until it is known to be stable and airworthy.
If the arm breaks / folds mid flight and crashes into property, or a person / child etc, it can do some serious injury.
THEN it would be time to be worried.

I know you are young, and not cashed up to get your drone fixed, but this MP is not a toy, it needs to be taken seriously.
Not sure where you are located, but maybe @DDS or someone can take a look at it for you.

Don't engage in conversation, he's not being friendly, he's looking for anything to charge you with. Ask him where it says it's a no fly zone so you know in the future. Ask for his name and badge number. Verify it's not a no fly zone and file a complaint against the officer.

Where exactly in the OPs account do you find the information to support this position?

I am a retied 20 year Law Enforcement Professional, and I made contact with almost everyone I came into contact with, even if just to say hello...

Flying a drone, outside a retail establishment, is a decent enough reason to stop and talk...mainly because there are people and streets usually located in the area.

McG

I think there are so many things at play here, not the least of you being only 16. If your avatar reflects who you are, you've been conditioned to an extent to be afraid of the police. The current news cycle has been pumping the propaganda of wide spread systemic racism 24/7, largely for political leverage. That's unfortunate. But I understand why you might have been terrified. How did he know that you were scared/nervous? I am certain your body was pumping out adrenaline like you'd never experienced and it becomes extremely visible, especially to trained observers as most police are. I hope this encounter helps you to see that the police aren't just out to get you and are just doing there job to protect the community. You were probably flying in a private parking lot (meaning launching and landing) which may be prohibited by local law as it is considered private property. I don't know which. Hence the officer stopped to have a talk with you. I hope that once you process the experience you come away feeling that every encounter with law enforcement doesn't have to be a scary experience. It's normal for any one of us to be nervous. You are not alone.

Regardless of this or any situation, flying a drone, anywhere, is going to draw attention to yourself, sometimes automatically negative attention. A lot of "authorities", meaning legitimate law enforcement as well as "self appointed" authorities will challenge you flying, often not knowing the law themselves and will try to wrongfully bully you. We adults experience that relatively frequently, so expect it. I know it's hard for a young person to stand up to adults, so you have to do it with respect, armed with knowledge. So it is in your interest to know all the rules and regulations, inside and out, for the area that you will be flying in by doing your due diligence in research and printing out state, and local laws as well as the FAA regs and keeping them with you when you fly. While your drone can be great fun, it's not a "toy" and people don't look at it as such, so you need to be prepared to approach it as a full grown adult.

In the meantime, if you haven't started doing so already, you should start by taking the newly mandatory "Trust" test required of all UAV pilots. You need to do that, and as you go through that process it will help you understand more about your obligations as a UAV pilot. Below find a link to the FAA cite where you can read about and find out which links can take you to the free, online TRUST test. Good luck.

FAA Trust test information link
As far as he said, he knew I was scared because "I forgot how to breathe"

As many of us have said before, looks like you have an underlying hidden cardiac, hormonal, and or neurological problem going on inside that body of yours. See a few Dr's allready kiddo.

Reactions: Alky1229
At risk of wading into politics that don't really belong in this forum, "If you did/do nothing wrong the vast majority of the time Law Enforcement won't even pay you any attention." in many places often works much better for white males than for others. In this example, a police officer clearly paid attention, and aside from the officer asserting the drone wasn't allowed, what evidence is there for anyone "doing something wrong"?
Works pretty good for everyone not up to no good.

Reactions: Droniac
Works pretty good for everyone not up to no good.
As a child I had a severe nervous condition due to a congenital heart defect I didn't know about. The slightest stressful event would make me turn red, shake and make it almost impossible to talk. Thus, even when I didn't do anything wrong, but just had even the slightest bit of anxiety , my heart would start to beat irregular, and I would develop what looked like panic. This caused others to assume I was lying or up to something nefarious. I used to get ridiculed and attacked with accusations for nothing , which made my anxiety get even worse, which would make my accuser feel they were right about me doing something wrong. Nobody knew I was born with congenital heart disease until I was in my late 20's when it almost killed me. When I look back, I wish I could crucify those bullying narcistic presumptuous jerks. Until I had heart surgery, I had to suffer the inappropriate assumptions of other people. It was a nightmare.

As a child I had a severe nervous condition due to a congenital heart defect I didn't know about. The slightest stressful event would make me turn red, shake and make it almost impossible to talk. Thus, even when I didn't do anything wrong, but just had even the slightest bit of anxiety , my heart would start to beat irregular, and I would develop what looked like panic. This caused others to assume I was lying or up to something nefarious. I used to get ridiculed and attacked with accusations for nothing , which made my anxiety get even worse, which would make my accuser feel they were right about me doing something wrong. Nobody knew I was born with congenital heart disease until I was in my late 20's when it almost killed me. When I look back, I wish I could crucify those bullying narcistic presumptuous jerks. Until I had heart surgery, I had to suffer the inappropriate assumptions of other people. It was a nightmare.
Holy... Uh...

To see you grow from all that puts a smile on my face

As far as he said, he knew I was scared because "I forgot how to breathe"
Anxiety will lock you op entirely and make you lose control of all sorts of things. It's not abnormal. I remember the time I was at school, a bit younger than you, casually and innocently exploring the back of the school's stage when I felt a hand strongly grasp my shoulder. I actually did pee my pants. It turned out to be only a teacher who said I shouldn't be back there. But there I was with wet pants. I'll never forget that moment. When you feel that you can't breathe, focus on doing so. That will help bring back your composure.

And the time I was stopped by a cop on my way home from OSU, "Nice handy dandy sports car you have here, son." Yeah, cops are honest, nice, and don't form opinions until they talk to the individual.

And no, I wasn't speeding; night time well lit freeway, a deep navy Ford LTD blew by me like I was standing still. I was in a bronze sports car. Cop had to cut off the car behind me to slip into the group of cars I was with. Sure, cop was fair and honest as he wrote me up for 70 in a 55 - claimed he clocked me at 100+ and was being generous.

Moral? Be the fast car the cop never catches.

Reactions: thispilothere

Being a law enforcement officer for 32 years and avid drone flyer I must say that your advise really "sucks!"..
Why not engage in a conversation with the LEO...
People with attitudes like yours make a LEO job tougher..
I always treated people the way they treated me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998