DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A couple interesting topics from @Pilotinstitute

This might be helpful:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Another YT video? Thank you, but no.

You need to follow the language that was written into the bill or the amendment to the bill. So far none of them have included any mention of compensation or mention of grounding existing drones by owners.

I didn't mean you personally.

If you let them get away with this what next will it be cars that have sat-nav built in, computers, laptops, phones where does it end?
That's like saying because Congress banned network switches made by Huawei, all routers, switches would be banned next. These bills are directly targetting Chinese-owned drone manufacturers. Just like the US enacted a 100% tariff on Chinese-made EVs this year.

I don't think that sat-nav systems pose as much as a threat as real time pictures and videos......and I am not endorsing the thought of a ban...just being reasonable and looking at "their" side of the argument and considering their motivation.

I don't think that sat-nav systems pose as much as a threat as real time pictures and videos......and I am not endorsing the thought of a ban...just being reasonable and looking at "their" side of the argument and considering their motivation.
If you are looking for motivation, it's from the sales side. US drone vendors can't compete with DJI, so instead of leveling the playfield by imposing tariffs, they'll use a disproven theory about the DJI spying on the US.

Why do you say they can't compete with dji?
Because DJI can make a drone for less than a US company. They have the advantage of a proven platform (series of platforms) and enjoy the efficiencies of making designing and fabricating their own boards. They have years of R&D time to work out design and manufacturing. An example in another industry would be Rivian trying to compete against Telsa. Tesla has had years to work out how to save money on making an EV. Right now Rivian loses money on each vehicle that goes out the door. It takes time to ramp up a product line and do it efficiently.

DJI has cheaper labor costs. A US company is going to have to contract out the manufacturing to an Asian company. It's why iPhones are made in Asia. Designed here, built there.

DJI has 10+ years with bringing drones to market. The first Mavics shipped in October of 2016. it's hard to enter the market when there is an 800lb gorilla sitting up on top. To gain any traction, you have to disrupt the market. You either have to be cheaper or offer something better. If GoPro had stuck with the Karma instead of abandoning it, they might have had a chance to be a player in the market.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Why do you say they can't compete with dji?
Competition comes in many forms and in order to effectively compete with DJI you have to do many things including offer a warranty to stand behind the product you build, make available a comprehensive insurance product to repair/replace almost every drone you sell, support your product by not only being able to answer all types of questions but also be able to offer solutions for the people who don't know how to use it, transport and deliver your product to all corners of the globe in short order at the same time as complying with rules and regulations by country, and you have to do this at a price which the market will bear.

Even I can do it if I could get away with charging $1M per drone but cost is the number 1 reason why no one can compete with DJI because they have managed to control the costs whether it's shipping, the cost of parts and accessories, repairs and refurbishments, warranty costs, even costs associated with factories, manufacturing, and labor. Unless Apple decided to all of a sudden switch business, I don't think anyone else can do this in short order. I don't have the information but it probably takes DJI about 12 to 18 months to first think about a drone until it ends up in your hands and that includes the entire eco from the software and the software updates to how it fits into the lineup to the online materials to the planned years of life.

And finally they have a loyal consumer based that won't switch easily. Even if a US company managed to drop into the mix, even if they made a good product, not even the President's signature can get citizens to switch teams. I'm sure there are dozens of company's that would like to get in the game but DJI has a lock on this but as you know, that won't last forever. Just ask our friends over at Blackberry.

That's like saying because Congress banned network switches made by Huawei, all routers, switches would be banned next. These bills are directly targetting Chinese-owned drone manufacturers. Just like the US enacted a 100% tariff on Chinese-made EVs this year.
So if as mentioned in the posts above it's not about spying it's about giving Americans no option but to buy home made drones at a much higher price why not put the aforementioned tariff on Chinese made drones and give Americans a choice?

So if as mentioned in the posts above it's not about spying it's about giving Americans no option but to buy home made drones at a much higher price why not put the aforementioned tariff on Chinese made drones and give Americans a choice?
It's just as much about making political points by taking a hard stance on China with a market everyone knows but only a minority uses.

If it was truly about spying, they would have gone after the phone makers.

Reactions: Max Headroom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmec24