DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A crazy lady smashed my drone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy neighbors are truly on of life’s greater torments.

I've seen folks go "postal" over drones. If someone is already paranoid...it just amplifies their paranoia. They are sure you are videotaping them... The problem is....you don't know who the nut is going to be. Crazy people look like you and me...and they can appear to be completely rational until they flip a switch.

The problem is....you don't know who the nut is going to be. Crazy people look like you and me...and they can appear to be completely rational until they flip a switch.

Anyone that approaches within say 10m on the ground, treat them like old wild west gunslingers used to with people around them . . .

"Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Metaphorically speaking (unless in a state that will allow it in self defense. ;)

Anyone that approaches within say 10m on the ground, treat them like old wild west gunslingers used to with people around them . . .

"Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Metaphorically speaking (unless in a state that will allow it in self defense. ;)
When folks want to “see” my drone when I’m flying I ask them to back off 20-30 feet from me and my landing pad for safety. I never let nonpilots or unknowns handle the bird.

OP, Sorry to hear that this happened to you. Nobody, and I mean nobody gets within arm's length of my aircraft while it is airborne. I've had people approach during landing phase and I've aborted the landing because they are too close or I couldn't determine their intentions.

As others have said, preserve all the flight data and video just in case this escalates. It's sad that she called the police but some people are just like that and want to insert themselves in the business of the neighborhood.

I hope everything works out for you, OP

When folks want to “see” my drone when I’m flying I ask them to back off 20-30 get from me and my landing pad for safety. I never let nonpilots or unknowns handle the bird.

The red flag was -
1) she is filming you fly your drone.
2) you let her come close to it.
3) you let her come very close to it, within arms reach.

why didn't the drone fly away? object avoidance?

This is the wildest post I've seen in the drone world, and I've seen a bunch.

Not saying I don't believe you, but there are a couple things. First is that you have no history of posts on the forum. Next is that a next door neighbor must/would have had some prior interaction with you or in the neighborhood that would be a red flag.

Best wishes...

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
That ends the story? Seems she destroyed your property... he should have cited her and you should have a claim... I’d pursue it.

Reactions: umanbean
With her obvious signs of mental illness it would be smart to get a restraining order against her asap, then send the drone in for repair, the charge against the criminal becomes a felony depending on the amount of damage. The ideal situation would be where she is sued into homelessness.

hi folks,
there are people just like that. jealousy?? envy???
I don't know what but better be careful. I was flying my drone and they don't care less. They just simply walked by and if the drone hit them or frighten them, then pray pray pray.

This is the wildest post I've seen in the drone world, and I've seen a bunch.

Not saying I don't believe you, but there are a couple things. First is that you have no history of posts on the forum. Next is that a next door neighbor must/would have had some prior interaction with you or in the neighborhood that would be a red flag.

Best wishes...
He had joined the forum on June 23rd of last year, he is not a "new member", many people join to read and learn not to be heard unless they have something to add or help. Don't let a low post count confuse about one's knowledge or trustworthiness.

That's why I spent 3 hours of driving around today to avoid people. The only time I literally despise people is when I'm going out to fly and everywhere I go, there they are. Every dead end country road had a car or two (probably mushroom hunters). Every trailhead parking area was packed with cars. Hell, I went to every single river boat launch for 20 miles there were people fishing at every one of them. Finally went to a nice spot down some country dirt roads surrounded by farmlands and flew there. I've been there before to do a Mavic Air distance test and only had one car drive by. This time was with Mavic 2 Pro and the whole 30 mins I was out there, not one car. On a day I fly, I don't like people, I don't trust people. lol
I know exactly that feeling. I’m the same way here.

well, folks I've learned my lesson tonight. I know I screwed up, by one flying my drone in front of my house and 2 by trusting
someones intent. I'm sure you all will let me have it. After a short flight today in a secluded area I only used a half battery. After dinner I decided to use the rest of the battery to try a couple of the special flight modes right in front of my house. Everyone that walked by thought it was cool and very interested in how it worked. I was just finishing up when a neighbor ran out in the street videoing with her phone. She seemed really interested so I lowered it down at her level so she could get a better look. when she approached it I flew straight up 15 ft out of reach and she said that was cool, "come here". I brought it down again and told her not to approach it. Videoing the whole time with her cellphone. She walked up to it again and without warning did an overhand chop to the drone and sent it to the pavement. I ask her why in the world did you do that?! She claimed I was flying in her backyard ( which I wasn't the video shows I never left the front of the house). She claimed I assaulted her and was calling the cops. I waited. The police showed up and I explained what happen and showed him the video and the damage to the drone. He said she claims I assaulted her and took her phone and smashed it and told her she was next. Boy that couldn't be further then the truth. I feel horrible. There were no signs she was upset and went off without any warning. She did get a cut on her hand which I'm not surprised. Just before she smashed it I warned her about the props and not to get any closer. It was right then she lunged forward and chopped it. The drone received a few dings and a dent to the ND filter. At first the camera wouldn't center up but after some resets I think its going to work but not sure if it really damaged. Not going to fly it again especially around here. The cop seemed to understand how the drone worked and the obstacle avoidance worked and what he saw on the video was as stated. He said he was going to go back and speak with the folks and might come back to speak with me but he didn't come back. Hoping that's the end of it. Sorry guys I screwed up. Don't trust anyone's intent even if they seem genuinely interested in drones. No more demonstrations for me. I just can believe what the crap happened. never in my wildest dream would I thought she would have been so deceiving and me stupid.
Never underestimate the positive outcome of quietly whispering in someones ear what is going to happen to them personally as a result of their actions.... often when the reality of what they are about to unleash upon themselves is explained to them in very personal terms they instantly sober up and become quite decent.
If they aren't smart enough to wake up... then slam them with the full brunt of the law.

Heya mate, that's a terrible way to come to the forum, but welcome.
Very bad encounter, and I don't think on the story you posted it is your fault (entirely).

Without knowing where you are, it's possible some drone rules may have been broken, but that's a poor excuse for someone to be so spiteful (not to mention plain stupid) to smash your drone like that.
I initially thought it must have been a mini, but you mentioned OA ???? She'd be really crazy to try that with a larger drone.

Some people are just sad sacks, and think it's all about them.
Hopefully you've met your one time encounter with such a nut job, and your future will be carefree.

Personally, I would pursue it and file crimal damage charge against her.
1. You have the video proof you weren't flying over her property.
2. She has cut hand showing she did contact your drone as you say.
3. She has phone footage / recording, and this could prove you didn't attack her, and she was totally out of line . . .

Now the big ? is, did the police officer see his, hopefully get a copy ?
She may have selectively turned it off after confronting you, and not videoed the confrontation and aftermath.

The it becomes he said / she said, but I feel her story could be found inconsistent with some facts on record etc.
Should post her photo here. Criminals be shamed.

What would be the felony?
Doesn't sound like there is any felony..States vary by law and we have no idea OP is even state side. But normally to be classified felony:

Second-degree criminal damage to property charges are leveled when the state prosecution has probable cause to believe that the accused party willfully damaged the property of another in an amount exceeding $500 in damages. It carries a potential sentence of up to five years in prison. First-degree criminal damage to property is punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment in the event of a conviction. A first-degree criminal damage to property charge includes any interference to property so as to endanger human life or, by force or violence, interfere with the operation of any public communication, transportation or utility services.

Doesn't sound like $500 in damage at this point, Personally I would just burn down her "She Shed" and call it even :p

well, folks I've learned my lesson tonight. I know I screwed up, by one flying my drone in front of my house and 2 by trusting
someones intent. I'm sure you all will let me have it. After a short flight today in a secluded area I only used a half battery. After dinner I decided to use the rest of the battery to try a couple of the special flight modes right in front of my house. Everyone that walked by thought it was cool and very interested in how it worked. I was just finishing up when a neighbor ran out in the street videoing with her phone. She seemed really interested so I lowered it down at her level so she could get a better look. when she approached it I flew straight up 15 ft out of reach and she said that was cool, "come here". I brought it down again and told her not to approach it. Videoing the whole time with her cellphone. She walked up to it again and without warning did an overhand chop to the drone and sent it to the pavement. I ask her why in the world did you do that?! She claimed I was flying in her backyard ( which I wasn't the video shows I never left the front of the house). She claimed I assaulted her and was calling the cops. I waited. The police showed up and I explained what happen and showed him the video and the damage to the drone. He said she claims I assaulted her and took her phone and smashed it and told her she was next. Boy that couldn't be further then the truth. I feel horrible. There were no signs she was upset and went off without any warning. She did get a cut on her hand which I'm not surprised. Just before she smashed it I warned her about the props and not to get any closer. It was right then she lunged forward and chopped it. The drone received a few dings and a dent to the ND filter. At first the camera wouldn't center up but after some resets I think its going to work but not sure if it really damaged. Not going to fly it again especially around here. The cop seemed to understand how the drone worked and the obstacle avoidance worked and what he saw on the video was as stated. He said he was going to go back and speak with the folks and might come back to speak with me but he didn't come back. Hoping that's the end of it. Sorry guys I screwed up. Don't trust anyone's intent even if they seem genuinely interested in drones. No more demonstrations for me. I just can believe what the crap happened. never in my wildest dream would I thought she would have been so deceiving and me stupid.
Good luck, hope you can sue the b)-@$)

Doesn't sound like there is any felony..States vary by law and we have no idea OP is even state side. But normally to be classified felony:

Second-degree criminal damage to property charges are leveled when the state prosecution has probable cause to believe that the accused party willfully damaged the property of another in an amount exceeding $500 in damages. It carries a potential sentence of up to five years in prison. First-degree criminal damage to property is punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment in the event of a conviction. A first-degree criminal damage to property charge includes any interference to property so as to endanger human life or, by force or violence, interfere with the operation of any public communication, transportation or utility services.

Doesn't sound like $500 in damage at this point, Personally I would just burn down her "She Shed" and call it even :p
Please read Post #21.

That may had been her intent...
Sounds like your typical crazy paranoid housewife to me.

I had an experience with one many years ago. I was looking at a house I was thinking about buying, and taking a few photos of it. I was parked at the side of the road, on the phone with the real estate agent that was selling it. One of the neighbor ladies came outside to my car, knocked very hard on my window (thought she was going to break me window) she started filming me with her cell phone, said I can't be parked on the side of the road, threatened to call the police on me and have me arrested. [emoji849] Said "she knows the police" and that I am in "big trouble".

I told her to (deleted by moderator) and got very angry with her, and she left me alone and went back in her home , I don't think she expected that reaction from me. Police never showed up, big suprise.

Needless to say I did not end up buying that house. I did not want that crazy bat as my neighbor. Good luck to whoever bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure