DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Day in San Francisco

No. We checked AirMap. The areas we flew in were not in no-fly zones. GG Park, GG bridge ARE in no-fly zones. so we didn't try. Next time we hope to, if we get permission. We were approached by people (including city employees) in two of the four venues we shot from. Nobody minded. Our DJI goggles really made a hit with those we let try them on.

I'd like to return when fog envelopes all but hills, bridge towers, and tall buildings.

Airmap shows all the SF area in orange circles and just a few in red...that means orange its good to fly?? Thank you

I’m a SF local and I keep whining that there’s no place legal to fly here. Thanks for slapping me upside the head to get me out of my funk.

By the way, should you come back. GG Park is not part of GG NRA, but sadly takeoffs and landings inside all city parks are prohibited. Sigh.

Easy to get around that. Shoot from a parking lot, the street or a wharf that's not in a NFZ, like we did. Most of the west end of Fisherman's Wharf is NFZ.

BTW, you can legally shoot the GG bridge if you stay outside the NFZ. You can probably scale the distance off Airmap. Finding a legal take-off point would be the tough part.

Reactions: daisy-girl
Thank you for sharing. I have had mine since the beginning of November. From my perspective I have been blessed to get a few good videos, nowhere near this nice though. I really need to learn the post production aspect of my hobby. Thank you for the reminder to get to it.

I've never done post production either. My son's work with Adobe Premium blew me away. It costs $$, though. If you have a Mac, iMovie is said to be pretty good. I'm searching for an iMovie look-alike for the PC.

I thought all urban areas (Coit tower, Lombard Street) are NF area...
actually you flew above them all and got no trouble?
Congrat!
Congrats for the quality of the footage as well!

Isn’t it illegal to fly over 300’, illegal to fly over populated areas, public parks (federal or such), illegal to fly in low light conditions, illegal to fly out of “within sight of the aircraft”, illegal to fly over bridges and structures, or scare squirrels by illegally flying over trees.

Oh wait, this video wasn’t in Canada. With that nice video!

Spent a long weekend visiting my son Clarke and his family. Took my Mavic along, natch. Clarke took Friday, 12/15 off work, and we shot this video. He had never flown before. I did the first few takeoffs and landings for him, but he did all the rest of the flying, and all the videography. He did the postproduction work using Adobe Premier.

Not bad, for a first time video, yes? Just goes to show how user-friendly the Mavic is.

. we also put it on Vimeo, but it has to pause to load the buffer.

Up there

Hauptmann, AKA Rich Robinson
Excellent. The kid has a future as an editor and pilot. Surprised you were allowed so close to the bridge and ship.

No. We checked AirMap. The areas we flew in were not in no-fly zones. GG Park, GG bridge ARE in no-fly zones. so we didn't try. Next time we hope to, if we get permission. We were approached by people (including city employees) in two of the four venues we shot from. Nobody minded. Our DJI goggles really made a hit with those we let try them on.

I'd like to return when fog envelopes all but hills, bridge towers, and tall buildings.
I am from the bay area myself and always wanted to go fly/film there, but due to all the NFZ restrictions around the GG and the city, I never dared to go do anything. That's why I am amazed to see that you managed to go there and fly around without problem, and thought you had some kind of permit to do this.

Non the less, nice video ! I really wanna go and fly there now ! :D

Reactions: Hauptmann
I’m a SF local and I keep whining that there’s no place legal to fly here. Thanks for slapping me upside the head to get me out of my funk.

By the way, should you come back. GG Park is not part of GG NRA, but sadly takeoffs and landings inside all city parks are prohibited. Sigh.
Bay area local here too ! :D

Isn’t it illegal to fly over 300’, illegal to fly over populated areas, public parks (federal or such), illegal to fly in low light conditions, illegal to fly out of “within sight of the aircraft”, illegal to fly over bridges and structures, or scare squirrels by illegally flying over trees.

Oh wait, this video wasn’t in Canada. With that nice video!
I am from the bay area myself and always wanted to go fly/film there, but due to all the NFZ restrictions around the GG and the city, I never dared to go do anything. That's why I am amazed to see that you managed to go there and fly around without problem, and thought you had some kind of permit to do this.

Non the less, nice video ! I really wanna go and fly there now ! :D

We didn't check local law, only AirMap. The first people who saw us asked, "How far out are you?" Everyone else either expressed curiosity or just ignored us. I think, in general, if you fly safe and don't violate people's space or privacy, you're OK. If someone objects, bring your bird home and politely leave. Don't piss people off.

In any case, droning where you shouldn't is a misdemeanor, which means that an officer must "catch you in the act" in order to cite you. Police have more important things to do. They're not going to come for you if they don't get a complaint. Don't give them a reason.

Reactions: go fast and drakkor
We didn't check local law, only AirMap. The first people who saw us asked, "How far out are you?" Everyone else either expressed curiosity or just ignored us. I think, in general, if you fly safe and don't violate people's space or privacy, you're OK. If someone objects, bring your bird home and politely leave. Don't piss people off.

In any case, droning where you shouldn't is a misdemeanor, which means that an officer must "catch you in the act" in order to cite you. Police have more important things to do. They're not going to come for you if they don't get a complaint. Don't give them a reason.

I agree. I only found out about the city ordinance because a ranger came over to chew me out.

Where were you when you were confronted by the ranger?

Polo fields. Guy came screaming over at me and I asked why he was yelling at me when GGP wasn’t in GGNRA and therefore flight was legal.

Recreation and Parks code 3.09—no takeoffs and landings inside park boundaries. I looked it up to call ******** on him and got this:

SEC. 3.09. AIRPLANES, HELICOPTERS,
HOT AIR BALLOONS, ETC. PROHIBITED.

No person shall launch nor land any air-
plane, helicopter, parachute, hang glider, hot air
balloon, nor any other machine or apparatus of
aviation in any park, nor shall any person bring
into any park any balloon with a diameter of
more than six feet or a gas capacity of more than
115 cubic feet, without permission of the Recre-
ation and Park Department. This Section shall
not be applicable to a helicopter being used to
transport persons or supplies because of an emergency situation. (Added by Ord. 603-81, App.
12/18/81)

Polo fields. Guy came screaming over at me and I asked why he was yelling at me when GGP wasn’t in GGNRA and therefore flight was legal.

Recreation and Parks code 3.09—no takeoffs and landings inside park boundaries. I looked it up to call ******** on him and got this:

SEC. 3.09. AIRPLANES, HELICOPTERS,
HOT AIR BALLOONS, ETC. PROHIBITED.

No person shall launch nor land any air-
plane, helicopter, parachute, hang glider, hot air
balloon, nor any other machine or apparatus of
aviation in any park
, nor shall any person bring
into any park any balloon with a diameter of
more than six feet or a gas capacity of more than
115 cubic feet, without permission of the Recre-
ation and Park Department. This Section shall
not be applicable to a helicopter being used to
transport persons or supplies because of an emergency situation. (Added by Ord. 603-81, App.
12/18/81)

Hell of a way to find out! There's a workaround, though. Take off from outside the park.

Reactions: jpun1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos