DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A few questions about the legality of some scenarios

Technology is moving quicker than the law in so many areas, drones; ebikes; escooters ; mobility-scooters; etc.
My advice would be just to do it, provided what you do is reasonable and does not offend any third party, and see what happens.
Yesterday I saw six drone delivery robots waiting at a zebra crossing (blocking access to the crossing). If anyone was to get hurt at or near the crossing, where would the fault be?

I think what I am trying to say is, that unless you actually see something in writing which states that you would be breaking the law then just get on and do it.

Leave the law to catch up when it can.

Until drones get active detect and avoid the tech isnt mature enough to allow many things such as autonomous or BLVOS flight sadly.
Its an area that has little or no development at a consumer level so far.

@Olwyn, there is no specific law to prevent you from flying your drone at night in the UK ,other than the fact that it will be much more difficult to judge the distance that the drone is from the ground ,or from trees ,buildings etc, just being able to see a flashing strobe light ,will of course help you to see where the drone is in the sky ,but not its relationship to obstacles ,also remember that in order for the OA to work it needs a certain amount of light ,
I believe the same is in the US….I have not read if any specific rule “requiring” strobes for a non part 107 flyer.

I am with Old Man Mavic on this one and I believe there is no legal requirement for drones to have strobes in the UK. As others have said, strobes are only a legal requirement in the USA for the benefit of manned aircraft pilots and therefore must be on the top of the aircraft which is really not going to assist VLOS at a distance.
I also think that the only consideration in the UK would be the loss of VLOS in the dark where an underslung strobe might assist and also satisfy the requirement to know the given orientation of the drone.
I have flown my old Mavic 1 in the dark and the lights on it were good enough to assist VLOS but it is a completely different story for my Mini3 which in the dark just cannot be seen when recording!

Reactions: old man mavic
For reference, I am using a Mini 3 Pro drone with no additional attachments - it's still 249g.

What is the law regarding flying at sunset and sunrise? At these times of day,

from someone in the UK with 9 years of flying drones, there are no restrictions on when you can fly only where you can fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000