DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A flight full of bugs!

pilifida

Reactions
Hello all.
I.ve had my mavic.pro 1 since july, and i have flown with it more than 40 times, dealing with several glitches.
But today, was a great day to fly lol... Happenned too many.
(to say all from the start, in august, i had a small crash, IT touched a tent and landed on the tent upside down-no speed, landed really soft, not a single scratch on the drone whatsoever, had no problems since).
But today...
1) First of all, since 4 flights ago, i got a gimbal.overload error at startup, right until it finishes the calibration. Is it normal? Or am i paranoic? After the calibration is done, the gimbal performs ok, no problems whatsoever. If i start a manual calibration, the gimbal does it ok, it does not get stuck as i read on forums. Could this be a software problem?
Before tent-touching (i cannot name it a crash ), i had several gimbal freakouts, as i.ve read here, could be because of the 64gb sd card

-So, ignoring gimbal overload startup message, i proceed on flying. I.ve had used for the first time a gimbal protection bought on amazon. I put the camera on portrait mode, and there it was: all of the sudden the camera started spinning mid air like crqzy. I looked at the phone and i thought that the drone was spinning and it was going to fall. But no, it was the gimbal. I took some photos on the way home and all.my photos were upside down, the camera could not seem to figure out what portrait mode means.
3) since i bought the drone, i have compass errors mid flight!!!, that last under a second untill i move the drone a bit.But today i had like 3 compass errors in one flight, and the 2nd one appeared for about 2 minutes, and i really panicked.
I have the latest firmware etc.
So, my questions are: gimbal.overload: is itnormal at startup? Should i get worried? Is it a software bug? What about that compass error mid flight? Cand it cause a crash?
Ty!!!!

Would not say gimbal overload at start up is normal. Make sure all the rubber bands on 4 corners of gimbal mount plate are all connected and check to make sure plate is hooked correctly. There is an attachment hook the the plate has to be connected to. I have had a few landings before I got the leg extensions which knocked the gimbal and unhooked the plate. The gimbal mount plate hooks to an attachment on the center then the corners are held in place by the rubber bands.

Compass errors in mid flight, what is the compass status when you take off? Checking it under the advanced setting to make sure both are green might be something to try. Or a calibration.

And if the gimbal seems all connected correct try a gimbal calibration.

Paul C

Reactions: charliesRig
Ok. So mostly, i catch the mavic by hand so no tough landings either. But i.ll check the plate thx.
2nd, the compass is all green, no problems but mid flight the errors appear but only for 1sec, yesterday was a premiere concerning the time. But i.ve also read here that sometimes the gimball gets magnetized (hope it.s ok in english) and a demagnetizer should solve the problem. I.ll try all of them.
I shoild definitely check that plate as stoping the side flying results in a way too violent camera shake!

I.ve also read that many people who are having gimbal overload error cannot go through a complete calibration. Mine calibrates just fine. I did one yesterday and indeed, the next 2-3 startups seem to have no problems...

Does anyone has a youtube video in which i could see exactly the procedure?

News from mavic land. I checked the gimbal plate, is under the hook. I starte dit like five times, no gimbal errors. But now, in my apartment it won.t even let me take off because of compass errors that need calibration. It won.t let me calibrate it as high interference detected should sound normal, but last couple of times when i turned it on inside the message was kinda mild, like strong interference detected, fly with caution. Now it won.t let me fly.... I.ll test it ouside but this compass is unbelievable....

Might have a sick bird ....
Mavic pro has Two compasses #1 &#2
And it will fly if one of the two compasses has an error
To calibrate you must be out side away from any metal (sometimes cement has metal rebar in it) ...

Because your bird has spratic error compass messages I would have it checked out that should not be happening
....cR

I will buy and try to degauss the gimbal. Maybe itwill help.
Ine compas showed normal status and the other one full red bar

I will buy and try to degauss the gimbal. Maybe itwill help.
Ine compas showed normal status and the other one full red bar

I had the same issue. The gimbal has taken a shock from a hard landing. Eventually, this developed into such an issue it launched the Mavic into a full spiral. I was able to bring it down and near the earth it stabilized and was able to land smoothly.

My advice is to get it looked at by DJI ASAP (and be prepared to have to replace the gimbal).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002