DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Happy Ending (For Now) With Gimbal Overload Errors

dhinchcliffe

Reactions
After 6 initial, long, and trouble free flights, I landed on a dirtier surface that I anticipated and threw up quite a few small rocks which bounced off the Mavic in many places.

Afterwards, I got the gimbal overload error regularly during startup, and usually within minutes afterwards if I did the 90 degree tilt on the Mavic’s right side startup workaround trick.

I began to despair after doing countless gimbal recalibrations and the problem only seeming to get worse. I gave up hope after the camera dangled uselessly during an important flight recently and I resigned myself to send it in.

Though I could not find any issues, the rocks must have damaged the delicate ribbon cable, I thought.

Then, while playing with the up/down gimbal motion while the Mavic was on my workbench, I could make the gimbal overload error happen on demand by going up all the way. Clearly I was pushing it past its mechanical limits, so it must be out of alignment I thought.

I got out a level and measured the surfaces where I had recalibrated it before and they were all slightly sloped. I found a totally flat surface, recalibrated the gimbal there, and have not had a single spot of trouble since then, logging some of my best flights.

Thought this might be useful if you’re at your wit’s end with your gimbal: Make sure the calibration surface is totally flat.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams