DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Life Flight helicopter was unable to reach the crash because a civilian drone was flying over the scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
That kind of thinking will cause you to drive your car into a wall to see if the airbags will save you... this kind of thinking must be the same kind as the drone operator that prevented what could have been a life saving rescue.

Enough with the cheap swipes. Do YOU KNOW what happens when a drone hits a moving prop or helicopter blade? Neither do I.

This is the "kind of thinking" that leads one to actually ask questions. Get facts. And, God forbid, possibly learn something. 😉

Enough with the cheap swipes. Do YOU KNOW what happens when a drone hits a moving prop or helicopter blade? Neither do I.

This is the "kind of thinking" that leads one to actually ask questions. Get facts. And, God forbid, possibly learn something. 😉
Are you really that foolish? To your question, YES based on reports
Have you heard of Google? It's a great search engine. Here is just one that I'll share with you. READ HERE Only 60k worth of damages so YES drones can and have damaged helicopter props.

Here are the only two things in the article that mentioned the drone. Your supposition, conjecture, and imagining are far off base from what the article stated. There's nothing about the evac request being cancelled. There's nothing about who made the decision. It says the drone was "over the scene" not "in the area." There's nothing suggesting that the emergency crew evaluated the risk and told the helo pilot not to approach or land.

"Man dies in crash on I-5 in Linn Co.; Police say civilian drone prevented Life Flight response"
"A Life Flight helicopter was unable to reach the crash because a civilian drone was flying over the scene, OSP said. Brown was declared dead."
I'm not making any supposition, conjecture, or imaging. I said "I was going from the available information that was given that is not fully verified." Since these are news reporters, I like to read as many different angles from the articles that I can find because whoever writes these articles often put their own twists on them even sometimes taking the quotes out of context; if you have an issue with any of it, reach out to them since there isn't much I can do about it. Wish we could read the official reports:

"Life Flight was activated, but according to OSP, it was forced to cancel due to airspace conflicts with a civilian drone over the crash scene."

I would speak with an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic about what the effects of a Drone hitting a helicopter at operating speeds could be My guess is that you will be surprised. Below is a Bird Strike with a Helicopter:
View attachment 177377
NOW Wrap that bird in a layer of reasonably hard plastic like a drone has, and Imagine the Damage now!! STAY AWAY from Other aircraft. Those things have PEOPLE inside!
Add to that the density of the battery and the possibility of causing an imbalance in the helicopter's main rotor or turbine if jet driven and the ensuing possible damage makes the risk not worth it.

Of the drone pilot, I hope they are caught and brought to justice.

Of the drone pilot, I hope they are caught and brought to justice.
What does "brought to justice" in this case look like to you? I know we don't have all the facts but just trying to get a general idea of what you believe that means since you made the statement. I have said many times it's not a crime to fly a drone, are you disagreeing?

Or, "God forbid", do a basic search of drones striking helicopters. Just a quick search would bring up when a Phantom 4 struck an Army Blackhawk helicopter in the NYC area, back in 2017. That caused real damage to the Blackhawk.

Since we need to "get facts"... A drone pilot is required to yield to any manned aircraft. That's a pretty well-known "fact" for anyone who wants to fly a drone. If that drone pilot wasn't aware of that requirement, that person had no business operating a drone.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Until it's flown illegally.
Got it, so let's say this guy comes forward, says he was flying him mini around for fun in class g no tfr, noticed a wreck, hovered in the area nearby for 15 minutes then his battery died and he came home, no ill intent, noticed or heard no other aircraft in the area, no one signaled him or reached out to him; what are we charging him with?

what are we charging him with?
I said until it is flown illegally. Nothing you state indicates an illegal flight, SO they could not charge him. However, if he was flying while first responders were on the scene then it becomes questionable.

Folks, I think this thread is quickly becoming what is said as "beating a dead horse" no disrespect intended toward the subject matter, but you know what I mean. Therefore, it has come to an end.

1725322373884.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr