DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A little PO'ed with a Mavic Pro Platinum battery

45er

Reactions
When I bought this drone several years ago I bought an extra battery for it. Don't fly that much so I left it in the box. When I took it out of the ORIGINAL BOX and tried to charge it today, it will not take a charge and is as dead as a fritter. Is there anything that can be done, or is is $80 down the toilet. Given DJI's reputation for not-so-wonderful customer service, I'm not sure I want to waste my time going down that road.

Battery is probably not covered under warranty based on your dates.
You are not the Lone Ranger in this kind of issue and won’t be the last.
And I’ve not seen any positive fix for what you describe.

Given DJI's reputation for not-so-wonderful customer service, I'm not sure I want to waste my time going down that road
The battery warranty has expired and you did not care for it per DJI's instructions. So, it wouldn't really be fair to fault DJI.

The battery warranty has expired and you did not care for it per DJI's instructions. So, it wouldn't really be fair to fault DJI.
I would agree with that premise other than the fact that the battery had never been out of the box. Shame on them to create a battery with no shelf time. I guess I wouldn't consider such a battery as being "smart". LOL

Yeah, they can't be left like that for years unfortunately.
It could be dead now, or it may be bricked, asleep, whatever you'd like to call it.

There have been threads on the forum here about reviving battery from DOA state, not sure if it will help you here, worth a read.

Search results for query: MP dead battery

YouTube have videos, some are to do with FPV packs, others DJI other models, worht a browse of oones that look like they might help.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=restore+doa+dead+dji+drone+battery

Hope you can get it charging ok, and it's useable.

I would agree with that premise other than the fact that the battery had never been out of the box. Shame on them to create a battery with no shelf time. I guess I wouldn't consider such a battery as being "smart". LOL
Looks like assumptions here since you bought the battery “years ago “. Answer is in the DJI manual.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
When I bought this drone several years ago I bought an extra battery for it. Don't fly that much so I left it in the box. When I took it out of the ORIGINAL BOX and tried to charge it today, it will not take a charge and is as dead as a fritter. Is there anything that can be done, or is is $80 down the toilet. Given DJI's reputation for not-so-wonderful customer service, I'm not sure I want to waste my time going down that road.
Been there, done that; the battery is likely hopeless.

Someone is selling Mavic Pro batteries in the classifieds section with zero cycles for $60 and, when the listing was posted, two Mavic Pro Platinum batteries for $65: [For sale] Used Mavic Pro batteries, zero cycle count (Other than the color, the batteries are functionally identical.)

I would ask them to verify they'll take a charge before shipping so you don't buy a brick; ideally have them charge them to three LEDs. I bought Mavic Pro batteries from Target and eBay a while back that sat on the shelf for too long and worked just as your battery does; not at all (and back they went).

Once you have your batteries sorted out, be sure to charge them to 60% every few months; I use a Hanatora charger for my M2P and Air 2S which has a storage charge feature - unsure if there's something similar for the MP or MPP (I just have a slew of chargers for my MPP).

I’ve bought a couple PowerExtra batteries for my MPP. I know the color doesn’t match but they perform just as good as the OEM DJI batteries. They are also easy to get and a decent price.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
You will also find replacement batteries nearly impossible to find. I know. I had to buy to aftermarket ones for my MPP. Good luck.

Are you sure that the battery has not entered into the deep hibernation?
There is a process for bringing them out of that state..
Try this:

IMPORTANT: DO NOT ALTER THE SEQUENCE OF THESE STEPS!
  1. Switch on battery – one quick press followed by a press that lasts 4 seconds. ...
  2. LEAVE IT ALONE for at least 5 minutes.
  3. Do NOT touch power button on battery – plug it into your DJI charger.
  4. LEAVE IT ALONE… it may be hours before it wakes up.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I had a DSLR camera battery that I mistakenly left in the camera turned on. Totally flattened it, wouldn’t charge up.
I “kick” started it by putting it into the charger then turning charger on and off several times.
It was a way of giving it that little nudge to wake and begin charging. That was about 18 months ago and it’s still working.
There are a number of YouTube vids about this with different types of rechargeable batteries.
No rechargeable battery will keep a charge if left too long.

Something similar with an industrial floor sweeper.
The charger would not charge the batteries at all, it was as if the charger or batteries were dead.
I brought in a car charger from home, put one of the batteries on charge over night.
The next morning, the sweeper charger would then work.

The batteries were absolutely shot, but it proved that the charger would not switch on unless some voltage was being read.

Cannot expect a lbattery sit on the shelf for a few years and expected to work the chemistry inside them does not allow that they continually destroy themselves where are use them or not.

Anyone tried this? I just found it online. Bought MP and had it in corner in box - never opened, for 3 years. Went to charge batteries for initial flight.... well, you know the story. So began researching how to recover the batteries. Most said forget it, but this one was interesting. Smart audience here, so wondering if anyone has had success with this or similar approach:

Fixing a bricked battery​

You can’t charge a bricked battery by normal means. To charge a bricked battery, you’ll need the following materials: The bricked LiPo battery, a LiPo balance charger, and a NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride Battery) charger.

If you have these tools available it should be pretty easy for you to recover your drone battery.

Start by first connecting the bricked battery to the NiMH charger. Charge the battery by using the lowest current which is usually 0.1A. Depending on the type of NiMH charger you are using, you may be able to select the output voltage. And if this is the case, choose a voltage that’s the same as your battery’s nominal voltage.

Your battery should have about 3.3 volts per cell after charging for a few minutes. Dividing the total charge of the battery by the number of cells will give you the charge per cell. So after you get about 3.3 volts per cell, it’s time to use the Lithium Polymer balance charger and then balance charge the battery at 0.5C or 1.0C. 0.5C is safer but will take longer to fully charge your battery than 1.0C.

After you are done balance charging your battery, then you are good to go as you now have a working full battery

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54