DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A new look at the Gatwick Airport U.K. Drone Debacle; What they should have done.

cgmaxed

Reactions
I'll get straight to my point. THEY SPENT 800,000 POUNDS !! Just to investigate drone sightings that were unverified. It's the 800,000 pounds that perplexes me. Instead of running around spending money on an investigation, THEY COULD HAVE BOUGHT AND INSTALLED A HIGH END DRONE DETECTION SYSTEM, like the one they used in the LAS VEGAS test. Now they are out 800,00) pounds + lawsuit losses. They could have used the money to prevent future false drone sightings and bought a system that truly and faithfully detects drones seen and unseen. Yeah, this is hindsight, but now they are out ,at least, 1 million pounds and have nothing to show for it. They could be using the best state of the art drone detection equipment to date, but they rushed into things and were overzealous in their response to unfounded sightings. I mean, come on, not one cell phone photo of the alleged drone or drones was captured? Anyway, this thread is about what they could have spent their money on, instead of wasting it, looking for a needle in a haystack. All airports should consider buying drone detection equipment, before they decide to perform an investigation, that may only lead to the capture of one man, when they can buy a drone detection system, that will capture almost all those that violate airport boundries now and in the future. It would also eliminate false sightings and stop airports from shutting down.

you finished?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing .... easy to comment like this after the event when you have very limited access to the facts ...

you finished?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing .... easy to comment like this after the event when you have very limited access to the facts ...
No need to be sarcastic or give a knee jerk reaction. I was just hoping to get some thoughts from our drone community in this forum. What are your thoughts? Do you think they should put in place, a drone detection system? Especially after what they have been through? Seems like a good idea to me.

Maybe ask it as a general question rather than fill it with UPPER CASE shouty words proclaiming you know everything might get a better response ..

rephrase your question …

i just read it as an unformatted rant that didn’t deserve a reasoned response because you had clearly made up your mind they got it wrong ..

go figure..

Reactions: jagraphics
Maybe ask it as a general question rather than fill it with UPPER CASE shouty words proclaiming you know everything might get a better response ..

rephrase your question …

i just read it as an unformatted rant that didn’t deserve a reasoned response because you had clearly made up your mind they got it wrong ..

go figure..
Oops, my bad. REPHRASED: Does anyone think the Gatwick Airport and other UK airports should start looking into setting up drone detection systems given the cost of delayed flights, airport shut downs and manpower needed to investigate visual drone sightings that may or may not be legitimate?

Oops, my bad. REPHRASED: Does anyone think the Gatwick Airport and other UK airports should start looking into setting up drone detection systems given the cost of delayed flights, airport shut downs and manpower needed to investigate visual drone sightings that may or may not be legitimate?
Those systems were ordered in 2019 and installed last year.

Lots of police on the ground. News film crews. An airport full of people with HD phone cameras.
Not one photo of this supposed drone has surfaced.

The whole thing is a sham.

Reactions: Aoraki
Lots of police on the ground. News film crews. An airport full of people with HD phone cameras.

My thoughts exactly. Absolutely no proof whatsoever that there was a drone there.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Somebody at Gatwick thought they saw/detected a drone and as they did not dare ignore such a warning then we had the whole charade of chasing shadows. Who ever made that first call could not back down and say "I got it wrong" Once the process had been started it could not be reversed and as a lot of people invested reputations it was only going to get bigger.
The only thing I find amazing is the lack of detection equipment still not deployed even to this day around sensitive "targets".
I live in an area where there are daily ground level helicopter training exercises but but no drone exclusion or detection zone exists. I have to rely on my vision and hearing to detect rapid low level training flights and get my drone down and out of their way as I doubt my insurance would begin to cover the cost of a damaged military helicopter

Reactions: Lastrexking
The Gatwick incident is suspect at best. Fraud at worst.

Or mass hysteria....in this day and age, that is more the norm than the exception.

Reactions: LeadSledGirl
Interesting conversation

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej