DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A.P.: What you need to know about the DJI drone ban in the U.S.

I read that the senate was going to vote on this yesterday. Has this happened and what was the outcome?
No, it's too early for that. H.R. 2864 ("Countering CCP5 Drones Act") was passed (43-0) by the House Energy and Commerce Committee. That sent it to the full House on the Union Calendar on May 7th. If it passes by the full House, it then goes to the Senate.

Sources:

Reactions: Torque
I read that the senate was going to vote on this yesterday. Has this happened and what was the outcome?
it's supposed to come before the Armed Services Committee tomorrow, the 12th. It will probably take a few days for mark-up and amendments, But it might actually pass out of the Senate committee by Friday

the actual bill passed out of committee in the House unanimously. All Republicans, all Democrats, voted in favor. It was then that Elise Stefanik maneuvered the provisions of the bill into being attached to the NDAA (national Defense Act Authorization) that has to be approved every year, and reportedly, there was no opposition in the full House

it's possible that an individual Senator could strike out the CCP Drones provisions, but it's an election year and no Senator up for election wants to see campaign adds accusing him/her of being soft on China.

Considering that there was no push-back...none at all...among the 435 members of the House, I'm really skeptical there will be any opposition in the full Senate.

No, it's too early for that. H.R. 2864 ("Countering CCP5 Drones Act") was passed (43-0) by the House Energy and Commerce Committee. That sent it to the full House on the Union Calendar on May 7th. If it passes by the full House, it then goes to the Senate.

Sources:
according to Vic Moss (I posted the video a few posts earlier in this thread) on a blog Sunday night, Stefanik was able to attach the provisions of that bill to the NDAA and that has already passed the House and comes before the Senate Armed Services Committee tomorrow

so, if he's right, and he's been on top of this from the beginning, it has passed out of the House already

according to Vic Moss (I posted the video a few posts earlier in this thread) on a blog Sunday night, Stefanik was able to attach the provisions of that bill to the NDAA and that has already passed the House and comes before the Senate Armed Services Committee tomorrow

so, if he's right, and he's been on top of this from the beginning, it has passed out of the House already
He's right, it was added to H.R 8070 (Servicemember Quality of Life Improvement and National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2025) as part of Section 1722. Analysis of certain unmanned aircraft systems entities.

On the Senate side, the Senate Armed Services Committee posted the schedules for the subcommittee and full committee markup schedule: Reed and Wicker Announce FY 2025 NDAA Markup Schedule | United States Senate Committee on Armed Services

The subcommittees start at 5:00 PM today and then continue through Wednesday. The full committee starts consideration of the bill on Wednesday afternoon, continuing to Thursday, and Friday if needed.

Sean is a patriot and an avid supporter to the drone community worldwide; his video makes some good points about the potential DJI ban:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

DJI ban moves forward for vote by the House tomorrow​

Attached to the NDAA is the Countering CCP Drone Act, which would basically ground all DJI drones, future and current. However, tomorrow is not the day all drones are grounded; there is still some time yet.

Here’s a brief explainer for how bills become laws. After being drafted by a member of congress and sponsored by another, bills can get assigned to committees based on their subject matter, DJI’s ban was handled by the Energy and Commerce Committee. Once the bill passes the committee it moves to a full vote by the full chamber.

However, DJI’s ban was attached to the 2025 NDAA, a much larger bill that funds the US Department of Defense for fiscal year 2025. This is an extremely important bill that makes it hard to not pass. The NDAA moved through several committees on its way to being given the green light for the full House vote.’

DJI ban moves forward for vote by the House tomorrow​

Attached to the NDAA is the Countering CCP Drone Act, which would basically ground all DJI drones, future and current. However, tomorrow is not the day all drones are grounded; there is still some time yet.

Here’s a brief explainer for how bills become laws. After being drafted by a member of congress and sponsored by another, bills can get assigned to committees based on their subject matter, DJI’s ban was handled by the Energy and Commerce Committee. Once the bill passes the committee it moves to a full vote by the full chamber.

However, DJI’s ban was attached to the 2025 NDAA, a much larger bill that funds the US Department of Defense for fiscal year 2025. This is an extremely important bill that makes it hard to not pass. The NDAA moved through several committees on its way to being given the green light for the full House vote.’

of particular note in the article:

"Attached to the NDAA is the Countering CCP Drone Act, which would basically ground all DJI drones, future and current."

now, I don't know if that's accurate. But the momentum of these bills could certainly end up doing just that. The ultimate kick in the head...and the wallet

Reactions: franklinskite
It’s interesting to read the comment at the bottom of this article:

‘Tony Martie
1 hour ago

No comments on this? Personally, I am very concerned. I have two Mavic 3 Cine systems that I use regularly for work. Suddenly being unable to fly them in the US would be a huge problem for me.‘

LOL...yeah, there's no news about a likely DJI ban. It's all fiction
Correction ... there's no evidence that's going to happen.
The fevered pessimistic imaginings and what-if exercise that's been going on here isn't evidence.

It's the same mindset that's seen in the the gun lobby that for years been certain that the government is going to take away their guns.

Good thing the government has no means to identify and track drone owners and confiscate drones, as gun owners have long feared with guns. Oh, wait ---.

Yep, the folks living in fear for years of Jane Fonda and Hillary Clinton rappelling down from a helicopter to confiscate their weapons can add drone confiscation to their worries.

‘HR 2864 requires the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to add DJI to its “Covered List.” If DJI is added to this list, the FCC would no longer be able to approve new equipment authorizations for DJI products or software in the US. The agency could also create a process to revoke existing authorizations.

This means no new DJI products would be approved in the US going forward, cutting you off all the latest innovations by the company. And the DJI drones currently approved for the US may also be grounded in the future. The bill could also add any software capable of operating on DJI products to the Covered List, including software produced by US software developers, subjecting them to the same restrictions.

This type of action by the FCC would mean the federal government could decide at any point that you are no longer allowed to fly the DJI drones or software that runs on DJI drones you have already purchased, no matter if you are flying for business, public safety, or even recreationally. The drone maker estimates that the financial impact of such a ban could be as high as $116 billion.‘

DJI drones currently approved for the US may also be grounded in the future.
When they say "grounded", that doesn't mean existing drones will suddenly drop out of the sky or be physically disabled, preventing them from taking off.

Revoking DJI's FCC licence approval might make it "illegal" to operate DJI equipment broadcasting on previously approved frequency bands. But there is no way to physically cut off existing DJI equipment from sending/receiving signals without affecting everyone else operating on those WiFi bands. The signal between your drone and its controller doesn't actually use any "communication infrastructure" like cell towers, or microwave towers, or internet.

Wasn't there a similar time when the FCC failed in their attempts to restrict the usage of CB-radios? (10-4 Good buddy, catch you on the flip flop?)

Agreed, when I read "grounded" in this context, I take it to mean any type of prior authorization needed to legally operate being temporarily or permanently revoked or suspended.

When they say "grounded", that doesn't mean existing drones will suddenly drop out of the sky or be physically disabled, preventing them from taking off.

Revoking DJI's FCC licence approval might make it "illegal" to operate DJI equipment broadcasting on previously approved frequency bands. But there is no way to physically cut off existing DJI equipment from sending/receiving signals without affecting everyone else operating on those WiFi bands. The signal between your drone and its controller doesn't actually use any "communication infrastructure" like cell towers, or microwave towers, or internet.

Wasn't there a similar time when the FCC failed in their attempts to restrict the usage of CB-radios? (10-4 Good buddy, catch you on the flip flop?)
I have a Sennheiser wireless mic system that the fcc in its infinite wisdom decided to sell its the operational bands to a cell phone company. It’s now not only illegal to operate my wireless mic, and it’s illegal for me to sell the equipment to anyone else. Further, if the fcc discovers you this using equipment on this bandwidth, you can and will be fined heavily and your equipment will be confiscated.

What’s different about my Sennheiser wireless mic system is that it does not operate using a phone app. There is no app that can be revoked or blocked.

Last edited:
any. It’s now not only illegal to operate my wireless mic, and it’s illegal for me to sell the equipment to anyone else. Further, if the fcc discovers you this using equipment on this bandwidth, you can and will be fined heavily and your equipment will be confiscated.

Are there actual cases of heavy fines and confiscation?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe