DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A question about Mini 2 and air 2s

HOG2K

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've been lurking around here trying to find some wisdom in helping me decide which one to purchase, either the mini 2 or air 2s.
I will be a recreational flyer, taking some beautiful pictures and videos of the great state of Ohio. GO BUCKS!!

Anyways, here is my question that I am unable to find the answer to. I've heard the mini 2 can fly into more areas than the air 2s.
This confuses me if I am flying only for fun is there a restriction as to where I can fly? I know about restricted zones, I have my TRUST certificate.

I'm not sure if I said this right but I'm hoping someone gets the gist of what I'm asking.

Thanks

I just got a 2s after a year with the mini 2. The 2s is a bit easier to fly, and much easier to see in the air. Whoever told you the mini can fly more places than the 2s, they must be smoking something. The main difference legally is the registration requirement. The big advantages of the mini are cost and portability.

Reactions: panotaker
You can't fly a drone under 250g anywhere you want. The only drone rule where a sub-250g drone is exempted is registration. However, you will still need to comply with all of the other rules and regulations regarding drone flying.

There is a common misconception among beginners that they are exempted from the rules regarding drone flying if they are flying a drone that is lighter than 250g. However, the rules regarding drone flying apply to any kind of drone regardless of whether or not it weighs less than 250g. This means that you must follow the rules and regulations regarding drone flying if you don’t want to end up in trouble with the law, no matter what kind of drone you’re flying.

I just got a 2s after a year with the mini 2. The 2s is a bit easier to fly, and much easier to see in the air. Whoever told you the mini can fly more places than the 2s, they must be smoking something. The main difference legally is the registration requirement. The big advantages of the mini are cost and portability.
Thanks for the fast reply, I thought you could fly both where you wanted as long as you follow the rules, which I know some and still learning before I buy.
Thanks again

Several things confuse matters when reading info on the www.
1) Talk about drones is international and rules that apply in one country need not apply in another.
2) When this gets mixed into threads and the posters do not clarify which jurisdiction the rules they are talking about apply to it can get very confusing, This is a general comment and NOT directed at anyone in this thread.
3) Add to that that the rules are evolving and things become even more mixed up, what may have been correct 6 months ago need not be correct now.

Reactions: HOG2K
Thanks for the fast reply, I thought you could fly both where you wanted as long as you follow the rules, which I know some and still learning before I buy.
Thanks again
Yes, both are subject to the same restrictions regarding where you can fly. Regarding which to get, remember that they complement each other to some degree. The mini 2 is quieter and more portable - perfect for someone who wants to hike or bike to a flying spot. The 2S is better at obstacle avoidance (see some of the videos which are easy to find) and has better image quality, although for anyone not a pro, quality is probably over-rated.

You can't fly a drone under 250g anywhere you want. The only drone rule where a sub-250g drone is exempted is registration. However, you will still need to comply with all of the other rules and regulations regarding drone flying.

There is a common misconception among beginners that they are exempted from the rules regarding drone flying if they are flying a drone that is lighter than 250g. However, the rules regarding drone flying apply to any kind of drone regardless of whether or not it weighs less than 250g. This means that you must follow the rules and regulations regarding drone flying if you don’t want to end up in trouble with the law, no matter what kind of drone you’re flying.
Hi, thanks for the fast reply,
Yes, I'm aware of what you said here, taking the TRUST test lets you know this, but like you said there are rules to follow, and making sure of the rules is the operator's responsibility.
Having not flown a drone yet I do know one thing and that is rules are nothing to fool around with!

Now, just waiting to see if the air 2s goes on sale soon, if not, take the plunge @ $1,299 FMC.
I do appreciate you replying to my question.
Thanks
Mike

Several things confuse matters when reading info on the www.
1) Talk about drones is international and rules that apply in one country need not apply in another.
2) When this gets mixed into threads and the posters do not clarify which jurisdiction the rules they are talking about apply to it can get very confusing, This is a general comment and NOT directed at anyone in this thread.
3) Add to that that the rules are evolving and things become even more mixed up, what may have been correct 6 months ago need not be correct now.
Oops, I should have stated USA, although I did mention Ohio. But you are correct, I will make sure I mention where I'm talking about in future posts.
I do understand about changing rules, I see that being mentioned quite a bit.
Thanks for clarifying this.

I did mention that the comment was not directed at anyone and Ohio is visible in your avatar? thingy so I think it safe enough to say assume you are in the US, lol.
But I have seen plenty of posts where there is no location in a posters avatar? thingy.

I did mention that the comment was not directed at anyone and Ohio is visible in your avatar? thingy so I think it safe enough to say assume you are in the US, lol.
But I have seen plenty of posts where there is no location in a posters avatar? thingy.
Yes, you did mention that :) I didn't pay attention to your location, but I always do when I'm reading all these posts.
Interesting...

The 2s FMC with the new RCremote would be my choice but is $500 more which is a steal. This will allow you later on, if you decide to go “pro”, get the license and charge/make money with your drone to buy a Magic 3, buy the cheaper option since you already have the RC controller

I've been lurking around here trying to find some wisdom in helping me decide which one to purchase, either the mini 2 or air 2s.
I will be a recreational flyer, taking some beautiful pictures and videos of the great state of Ohio. GO BUCKS!!

Anyways, here is my question that I am unable to find the answer to. I've heard the mini 2 can fly into more areas than the air 2s.
This confuses me if I am flying only for fun is there a restriction as to where I can fly? I know about restricted zones, I have my TRUST certificate.

I'm not sure if I said this right but I'm hoping someone gets the gist of what I'm asking.

Thanks
Go with the Air2S or even the M3. The Mini2 can be purchased later, if you think you would have use for it. If you buy that as a first drone you can be almost certain to want to get an Air2S or better almost immediately after. What I am claiming is that the Mini2 might not be suitable as first drone as it will only set you off on the DJI journey. As a second or third utility drone it is perfect though.

Go with the Air2S or even the M3. The Mini2 can be purchased later, if you think you would have use for it. If you buy that as a first drone you can be almost certain to want to get an Air2S or better almost immediately after. What I am claiming is that the Mini2 might not be suitable as first drone as it will only set you off on the DJI journey. As a second or third utility drone it is perfect though.
Yeah, I like the Air 2s better also but the videos and pictures I've seen on the mini 2 are very good. I would call myself an amateur photographer teetering on becoming a professional pixel editor :) which would easily allow me to enhance the mini 2 photos.

Ok enough bragging about myself lol, I start this just wanting to know if there was something I was not seeing that would allow the mini 2 to fly places the Air 2s was not allowed. We are starting to get off track a bit, but thank you for replying.

The 2s FMC with the new RCremote would be my choice but is $500 more which is a steal. This will allow you later on, if you decide to go “pro”, get the license and charge/make money with your drone to buy a Magic 3, buy the cheaper option since you already have the RC controller
True, I toss around that I could practice drone flying on the mini 2 and then upgrade to the Air 2s, but then I get to thinking why not just get the Air 2s since it would probably be an easier drone to learn to fly with because of the extra sensors.
But we are getting off track from my original post, so thanks for replying I much appreciate it.

Yeah, I like the Air 2s better also but the videos and pictures I've seen on the mini 2 are very good. I would call myself an amateur photographer teetering on becoming a professional pixel editor :) which would easily allow me to enhance the mini 2 photos.

Ok enough bragging about myself lol, I start this just wanting to know if there was something I was not seeing that would allow the mini 2 to fly places the Air 2s was not allowed. We are starting to get off track a bit, but thank you for replying.
In a sense it's the other way around: Your Air2S can go where your Mini2 can't. But that's my experience, in windy and mountainous Norway/Scandinavia. For photo I would not consider using even Air2S, only an M3 will do. For video the Air2S is stellar. The Mini2 is nice for holiday photo/video usage but not in the same league as its bigger and newer (and more expensive) brothers/sisters. And: At least in Norway you actually need to register even if its below 249 grams due to the camera.. Not very strictly upheld afaik.

In a sense it's the other way around: Your Air2S can go where your Mini2 can't. But that's my experience, in windy and mountainous Norway/Scandinavia. For photo I would not consider using even Air2S, only an M3 will do. For video the Air2S is stellar. The Mini2 is nice for holiday photo/video usage but not in the same league as its bigger and newer (and more expensive) brothers/sisters. And: At least in Norway you actually need to register even if its below 249 grams due to the camera.. Not very strictly upheld afaik.
I see your point about Air 2s going where mini 2 can not go, that is one of the reasons I want to get the Air 2s because of the better control in windy conditions plus many other things.

I'm waiting for the after-holiday sales when the Air 2s are on sale for $999 for the fly more combo :) ( fingers crossed ) but either way, I'm going to purchase it.

I don't think I'll be buying the M3, too much money for my type of enjoyment. I don't see a problem having to register your drone no matter what weight class it's in.

Nice chatting with you...

I see your point about Air 2s going where mini 2 can not go, that is one of the reasons I want to get the Air 2s because of the better control in windy conditions plus many other things.

I'm waiting for the after-holiday sales when the Air 2s are on sale for $999 for the fly more combo :) ( fingers crossed ) but either way, I'm going to purchase it.

I don't think I'll be buying the M3, too much money for my type of enjoyment. I don't see a problem having to register your drone no matter what weight class it's in.

Nice chatting with you...
The Air2S is such a useable little aircraft, and can take much more beating than a M3. Therefore suitable as first drone. Its the most rock steady aircraft I have, similar behavior as its more serious cousin the M3. But of course, the Mini2 will endure crashes better than either two, consider that and how and where you will learn to fly. Expect many hours in the air before you can fully enjoy it. Judging by your age I will think you would be fine with an Air2S or better.
Nice to be able to give the exact advice I wish somebody had given me back in the day :).

I own both craft. Here's a list of my likes and dislikes for both.

Mini2 Dislikes
Video and photos aren't as good during golden hour (lower light), but during the daytime it's acceptable
No OA, but I'm OK with that, given the price.
Can't handle wind as well as A2S, but in So. Calif we rarely have enough wind to ground the Mini2
It has a slightly slower flight speed versus A2S, but acceptable, given the price.
Fly app isn't as good as Go4 app on my M2Z (this is a problem with M3 too), but OK for Mini2 given the price.
RC isn't as good as M2Z with Go4, but acceptable given the price.

Mini2 Likes
It's small, super light, easy to tote around in a smaller backpack. Great for hiking and mountain biking.
Very quiet during flight. I can get closer to animals before they spook. Here's an example
Half the price of A2S.
Safer to operate from a liability point of view, due to less mass.
Zoom works nice
Shoots 4K@30FPS and includes pano 360 photo support
Batteries are less expensive
Great flight duration and flight distance, on par with A2S
Flight and camera capabilities are good for 85% of most missions
Gimble protector easy to install.
Less painful to the wallet if you were to loose it somehow, so you can take more risk in tight spaces

A2S Dislikes
Fly app isn't as good as Go4, it's should be better for a craft that costs this much (this is a problem with M3 too).
When shooting 4K@60FPS, it cannot shoot it with H.264 like the P2P. It requires H.265 10bit capture.
FYI, Davinci Resolve free version cannot edit 4K@60FPS 10bit video with H.265 codec. The Pro version of Resolve costing $295 (one time purchase) can edit H.265 10bit. PP can edit H.265 10bit too.
Gimble protector is more difficult to install than Mini2 and M2Z, but acceptable.
The RC is not acceptable for the A2S price IMO. It doesn't have the functionality that my M2Z has (this is a problem with M3 too)

A2S likes
Handles wind fine, good enough for moderate winds.
Great range and flight duration (but we can always use more flight duration)
Supports 4K@60FPS to support slow motion editing when needed
Smaller than my M2Z, lighter too.
360 panos don't require metadata editing (camera brand Ricoh, model ThetaS) to post to Google Maps or other services to view 360 photos, like Kuula.com
Larger 1" sensor works great, slightly better results during lower light at golden hour.
Small enough to hike and bike with.
It's louder than my M2Z, not nearly as discrete as the Mini2 which is pretty quiet.

Hi, thanks for the fast reply,
Yes, I'm aware of what you said here, taking the TRUST test lets you know this, but like you said there are rules to follow, and making sure of the rules is the operator's responsibility.
Having not flown a drone yet I do know one thing and that is rules are nothing to fool around with!

Now, just waiting to see if the air 2s goes on sale soon, if not, take the plunge @ $1,299 FMC.
I do appreciate you replying to my question.
Thanks
Mike
Santa just delivered my Air 2S yesterday. I had a Mavic Pro when they first came out. Was not a big fan. Bad eyes and didn't like the small controller and using my phone. sold it soon after. Been flying the Matrice 200 and 300 series for work for the last couple of years. Never thought I would consider a small form factor again. OMG. I love this thing. Pro screen and quick setup to fly for fun whenever I want. Hope you enjoy yours.

I had a Mavic Pro when they first came out. Was not a big fan.
Me too, I sold my Mavic Pro a couple months after I got it. It had a terrible lens, sun flares galore, and the gimble broke while literally sitting in the bag. I never crashed, dropped, or impact the drone, ever, and the gimble went bananas. It was replaced under warranty, but DJI tried to charge me a refresh fee for a factory defect that had not one scratch. After 10 days of arguing with DJI they finally replaced it free under warranty. I quickly sold it after I got the replacement, which was a new craft, not refurb.
Sorry for getting off topic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman