DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A reminder for me and maybe someone else with a Mavic Mini

For me, it is wanting to know what something will do, before it gets used. Accidents happen, and as long as there is an RTH button on the controller, it can get pressed at some point. I don't want to wait until that point to find out what it is going to do.

Maybe I let someone else handle the controller for a moment. Maybe I dropped the controller and the RTH button got pressed when the controller hit the ground. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention and hit the RTH button when moving my fingers. In any case, as long as it exists, it can get pressed.

As a Director of Software Delivery, I require my developers to test every single code path. If they put a button on a screen, they need to know, and validate, what happens when that button gets pressed. If that button acts differently under different scenarios, then they need to test all of those scenarios.

"Should" that button need be pressed is different than "can" that button get pressed.

And out come the insults.

The opinion here is exactly the opposite as on another well known forum. The most experienced users insist that RTH should never be used. They also use insults when some asks why not.

Your responses to well intended resoonses from the forum seems condescending ... It's not an insult it's simply telling you how it is coming across...

Reactions: Thanev
I have asked this question in other forums and have gotten virtually no meaningful responses. All most folks say is to just do it. Let's try here.

What specifically can you state as an example of something USEFUL that you learned from the testing of the RTH function? I mean by that, something that would affect the way you used it in the future. One user says it gives him confidence. Well I don't need that and I think it would actually foster an attitude of complacency. Another references "adverse results" without any explanation. Or even if those results were helpful in the future.

I do not want to rely on a crutch that takes control away from me.
Experience of how it works. How does trying out RTH foster an attitude of complacency? I think you're over thinking this.

I just got back from "testing" the RTH function under different scenarios.

Five attempts over land were all successful for initial altitudes of 10 feet to 200 ft and distances of 50 feet to 650 feet. RTH height was set to 100 feet for all tests. All tests returned without incident to within 8 feet of the landing pad or were interrupted when initiated at less that 60 feet away and beginning immediate landing. There were 70 foot tall trees and one large building in the area, but the area was otherwise mostly open. Even when the drone was out of sight behind the building, the RTH worked perfectly.

Two tests were done over water, one from 50 feet out and 10 feet elevation and another from 400 feet out and 200 feet elevation. Both performed perfectly. However, the 50 foot test was interrupted so as to not attempt landing on the water. There were no obstructions for these two tests.

In almost all tests, the controller was used to fine tune the landing location on the pad. Wind was about 10-12 knots. Some tests were done against the wind and others were done with the wind.

Two things were learned:
1) The RTH button on the remote controller worked.
2) The procedure worked exactly as described in the manual for all tests.

I am done with this topic.

Reactions: Thanev
I just got back from "testing" the RTH function under different scenarios.

Five attempts over land were all successful for initial altitudes of 10 feet to 200 ft and distances of 50 feet to 650 feet. RTH height was set to 100 feet for all tests. All tests returned without incident to within 8 feet of the landing pad or were interrupted when initiated at less that 60 feet away and beginning immediate landing. There were 70 foot tall trees and one large building in the area, but the area was otherwise mostly open. Even when the drone was out of sight behind the building, the RTH worked perfectly.

Two tests were done over water, one from 50 feet out and 10 feet elevation and another from 400 feet out and 200 feet elevation. Both performed perfectly. However, the 50 foot test was interrupted so as to not attempt landing on the water. There were no obstructions for these two tests.

In almost all tests, the controller was used to fine tune the landing location on the pad. Wind was about 10-12 knots. Some tests were done against the wind and others were done with the wind.

Two things were learned:
1) The RTH button on the remote controller worked.
2) The procedure worked exactly as described in the manual for all tests.

I am done with this topic.
great news ,can't quite work out why you even bothered to take part in this thread ,still at least you can now say you are an expert in all aspects of RTH happy flying

I have asked this question in other forums and have gotten virtually no meaningful responses. All most folks say is to just do it. Let's try here.

What specifically can you state as an example of something USEFUL that you learned from the testing of the RTH function? I mean by that, something that would affect the way you used it in the future. One user says it gives him confidence. Well I don't need that and I think it would actually foster an attitude of complacency. Another references "adverse results" without any explanation. Or even if those results were helpful in the future.

I do not want to rely on a crutch that takes control away from me.

As mentioned in a prior post, I'm lazy and if the drone is design to return to home without any input from me other than pressing the return to home icon I find that useful. My laziness has been rewarded with peace of mind in having pushed that icon on numerous occasions and having the drone return home. To me anything that reduces workload and produces the desire outcome is useful.

Yes you do have some. You can go higher or lower and also
yaw in a 360. Also you can stop it from RTH at any time.
To say it should only be used in an emergency is not correct.
Your opinion maybe but that’s it.

Yes you do have some. You can go higher or lower and also
yaw in a 360. Also you can stop it from RTH at any time.
To say it should only be used in an emergency is not correct.
Your opinion maybe but that’s it.

So many people crash drones and lose them to high winds using RTH instead of just flying it back manually. The guy posting this topic was only a short distance from where he was and used it. Makes no sense to me.

So many people crash drones and lose them to high winds using RTH instead of just flying it back manually. The guy posting this topic was only a short distance from where he was and used it. Makes no sense to me.
Well you do have and monitor your speed with these mini’s
if your in wind and yes you will have a issue if your coming
back into a headwind but you shouldn't put yourself in those situations. You have to learn the limitations of this thing .
It takes air time to learn what and when you can use it.
What makes no sense to you now will in time.

I run my batteries down till it starts rth, things to watch for are when it starts home make sure nothing above you it goes up first. I use it every flight and live it.

Reactions: dirkclod
To be fair to the OP it looked to me like he was just doing some testing as it was new to see what happened ...

I guess my point is people shouldn't rely on RTH to get your drone back to you. It's not something you should be using every flight to get the drone back (especially for beginners). I personally have only used it when I lost connection flying far distances and once I had visuals back I took over control once again.

I don't think I want to ever push the RTH button. No reason if I still have control unless the phone and app craps out. Then.....maybe.

Your point is well taken...I fly a lot of autonomous waypoint flights, and routinely lose contact with my Mavics. Trust me, when one loses total contact with your bird, seconds feel like hours.

This was about a a 1/2 mile RTH success story, about 0600 this AM. The truth was that the 1st half was the important flight segment...the last waypoint moved the AC well away from the potential obstacles. RTH gave us time to pack up :)

480cbb7d0f9114f5f3490255478f5391.jpg

It is a very familiar flight path, but I was still freaking after 10-11 minutes, and pressing the RTH, while waving the RC.

RTH is a great feature, as long as it has been carefully preconfigured on the AC...and it is not used as a ‘panic switch’.

Cheers....safe flights!

G

Reactions: GaryDoug
Its just a tool of many that all should at least know
how to use.

I guess my point is people shouldn't rely on RTH to get your drone back to you. It's not something you should be using every flight to get the drone back (especially for beginners). I personally have only used it when I lost connection flying far distances and once I had visuals back I took over control once again.

The question for me is why not? The RTH function is just like every other function the drone is capable of performing. When you push the left stick forward you expect the drone to climb. Pull the stick back you expect the drone to descend. The same for all of the other functions programmed into the drone including all the autonomous functions. RTH is just another autonomous function so what is the downside of using RTH on every flight as long as you have the home point set, a height set to clear obstacles and monitor the progress?

Very respectfully, I do not see much point in testing it and I am a retired test engineer. First, this system is only a few months old and is probably full of bugs. Any test results would be transitory at best. Next, there are so many different conditions in which you might have trouble, it would be very impractical to test them all. Next, you put the drone at risk needlessly if it is not a real emergency. Next, what is to be learned about that? If you are in a position to need RTH, there is probably little you can do about it anyway. It is either coming back or not. OK, it may do things I did not expect...so what? This was a last ditch attempt to save it anyway and was mostly beyond my control.
I can only think of one situation where I might be tempted to press the RTH button. The phone fails and I cannot see where the drone is (illegal, I know) or where it is pointed. So I have no feedback as to position or orientation, but I do still have use of the controller. My first reaction would be increase altitude in order to make a visual. But if that fails, I have few options left. Push the RTH button and wait. If it comes back into view, I can then take over manual control.

This post has just reminded me to carry binoculars when droning ;-)

I carry binos (binos don’t qualify for VLOS), an anemometer, and use VHF radios, mainly when involved with downrange spotters, etc.

I run a pro video leasing company in Singapore...mainly studio based gear.

Vietnam is seriously cracking down on enforcement of all regulations. Drones are technically illegal in VN...I have dubious ‘approval’ to fly anywhere. Flight safety is my #1 priority.

Rant off :)

RTH should only be used in emergency situations. You have no control over the flight.

Not really. In addition to what others have stated, you can adjust the final landing position in real time. Once it starts to drop to the landing spot, you can adjust it in any direction.

Reactions: Saigondroner

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James