DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A rookie question about batteries.

45er

Reactions
I have three batteries for my MP Platinum. One OEM and two aftermarket. All have been functioning well for several months now (although I'm not a "frequent flyer"). As you know, these batteries will drain to ~50% charge after a few days if you store them at 100%. My question is, does this damage them to do this over time? The reason I ask this is that often I think I'm going to fly the drone the next day so I charge up the batteries. Then the next day it is either raining or something else comes up and the batteries sit in the carry bag. If I do fly the next day, I want to do it and not have to sit there while three 50% charged batteries charge up before I can use the drone. Is this a quandary and something to worry about or should I just charge them to 100% the night before and not worry about whether I fly the next day or two or not?

Reactions: mereflyer
I have three batteries for my MP Platinum. One OEM and two aftermarket. All have been functioning well for several months now (although I'm not a "frequent flyer"). As you know, these batteries will drain to ~50% charge after a few days if you store them at 100%. My question is, does this damage them to do this over time? The reason I ask this is that often I think I'm going to fly the drone the next day so I charge up the batteries. Then the next day it is either raining or something else comes up and the batteries sit in the carry bag. If I do fly the next day, I want to do it and not have to sit there while three 50% charged batteries charge up before I can use the drone. Is this a quandary and something to worry about or should I just charge them to 100% the night before and not worry about whether I fly the next day or two or not?

I don't think so and I hope not because I run into the same problem as you. Someone brighter than I will confirm.

One the Gen 1 mavic pro’s you can set the battery discharge time shorter then 10 days . I set mine to 3 days . This way if my plans get buggered I know my battery’s won’t be sitting at 100% for too long .

I remembered reading that sitting the battery at 100% without using the drone is not healthy in the long run. I read somewhere that you need to drop the battery at least 8% once in a while and then charge it back. This method keep the battery healthy for a long time.

One the Gen 1 mavic pro’s you can set the battery discharge time shorter then 10 days . I set mine to 3 days . This way if my plans get buggered I know my battery’s won’t be sitting at 100% for too long .
That's a good idea. I'm going to change my discharge time also. I recently had 2 Mavic Air batteries go bad on me and only 1 was covered under warranty. It's a bummer to see $80 down the drain.

I assume you have to do that setting with each of the batteries installed in the drone? Four batteries means updating the setting four times...correct?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54