DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

a strange failure and my windy flight experience

Thanosix

Reactions
hi there people , im a noob at the drones , only 5 hours of flying according to my app , i own the MavicMini and for me its a very easy , super steady , great quality image and a great consumer product .

but I turned to FPV mode and i noticed this annoying "bumping" when turning , like there's something wrong with the gimbal , i checked the gimbal and i see .. the picture at the end..

i must admit I had 2 small crashes , once i scratched a wall with the props and crashed , and the other time i got stuck in some bushes , wasn't something hard , drone had not a scratch , on both of them i wasn't going fast , i was moving backwards and hit the back of the drone and there is no way for that gimbal rubber to turn it self and placed the wrong way because of the crashes. this is an assembly fail 100%
I do have the Care Refresh so i didn't worried at all and was easy to fix it gently with some tools at home , i did it carefully and it worked fine . i took off the rubber and placed it the other way . my guess is someone was in a hurry .
im still very happy with mini , but that was a big fail .

my experience with wind
i was flying in a Greek island so expect strong gust and wind speeds.
i was full throttle and the drone was "fighting" to go forward , but i had no warning for strong winds.
Wind affects it pretty much cause its super light , i knew that , and actually i am very impressed but i think it should warn you earlier for strong winds . it overestimates its abilities here , i think here we maybe find some answers for the fly aways and altitude drop issues , i didn't took the risk to send it far so i have no experience .
i noticed that the camera view its super steady and the pilot can't tell if the drone is moving , but if you look at the drone you will see its struggling in the wind .

Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 1.36.24 AM.png

Reactions: GregE
was on backwards for sure. Looks like QC didn't catch it. at least you were able to fix it and not have to send it out and wait on it to come back.

Reactions: Thanosix
That could have also been turned around by the crash impacts, the gimbal is easily moved and stretched which could have caused it to pop out.

That could have also been turned around by the crash impacts, the gimbal is easily moved and stretched which could have caused it to pop out.
Yes there are 4 rubbers holding the gimbal , so its easily moved , for sure , but how did the rubber pop out and then turn the other way and pop in again ? it seems impossible to flip itself , the good thing is that i managed to fix it and keep flying with no problems at all , i did changed my propellers as advised by DJI .

Reactions: Prismatic
How would the Gimbal effect "turning"? Doesn't the Gimbal go up and down and Turning is done by Yaw?
Gimbal is 3 axis: pitch, roll and yaw. Yaw is used to cushion video when AC yaws. For some Mavics, you actually can yaw the gimbal by press and holding the screen, as well as head movement when using DJI goggles.

If I understand correctly that the mount folded under the gimbal mount, that could occur in an accident.

Considering how light the AC is, it would appear to struggle since there's not much mass to dampen changes in wind forces. In reality it is doing exactly what it needs to do: counter wind forces as it encounters them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi