Premium Pilot
Reactions
A technical question for our technical genius

Prerequisite:

- M2P
- T-Mode
- Flight height approx 2.5 m / 8 f
- Wind W 5 m / sec

The right propeller bracket in front loosens, the drone falls to the ground.

Within what radius do I have to look for the loose Propeller?

And likely direction where I can find the propeller?

well for a start it would most likely go up quite a way, and also travel down wind from where it came off, then you have the problem of what the ground conditions are where the crash happened it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack

Reactions: Thomas B and TTP
If a train was heading East at 100 kmh and a bird was flying South at 50 meters high, how long would it take for bird poop to land on the train engineer's hat if the bird let loose at noon on the 27th of July? :).

yes we have all had the same idea ,how long is a piece of string ?

• Haha
Reactions: Gindra and Thomas B
my spark spun one off sitting on a trampoline and it desenegrated is all i can figure

If I lost a propeller during flight and my bird survived I can think of few reasons for wanting to find it.

A. I want to put it back on and reuse it. Horrible idea, wrong answer.
B. I want to be able to examine it for forensic reasons and then throw it away.
C. I want to make sure my dog doesn’t find it and eat it and I will throw it away.
D. I’m just curious and then I will throw it away.

Last edited:
A trick question. You didn't say the propeller came loose - only that [the] "right propeller bracket in front loosens, the drone falls to the ground ". Just look for the propeller blade on the craft if it's in visual range.

Thank you all for answering my question.

old man mavic's advice regarding the unloaded propeller going up, the question here is how high

sar104 answers that the question is not simple, we probably all agree with that.
Additional info I can provide in addition to:

- M2P
- T-Mode
- Flight height approx 2.5 m / 8 f
- Wind W 5 m / sec

is:
- Engine speed, 5750
- Flying with the wind
- Propellers, Carbon fibers, weight 8 grams see picture

I'm only looking for a rough approximate value to be able to limit the search radius.

Attachments

• ttp-nr002[1].jpg
    ttp-nr002[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
A couple of years ago I did some experiments with a P4 throwing props at that kind of rpm. I'll see if I can find the videos to confirm, but they ascended around 5 meters before coming back down. Total flight time was several seconds. That suggests that in a 5 m/s wind and an initial height of 2.5 m you might expect it to travel around 20 - 25 m.

Reactions: TTP
I am a little surprised that no one has asked the question, why did the propeller unload?

In this case, it is not the mistake of the pilot during the flight, but poor control of the drone's condition before flight, in this case my fault.

I show a picture with the drone's right front arm with engine, here you can see that the black top, with white circles, which help to attach the propeller's Hub to the engine, is missing.

Why do you have to ask, the answer is in the way I use my drone.

I fly, almost always and almost always everywhere, especially in forests, where it is impossible, at least in my opinion, not to suffer a crash every now and then.

The most delicate on the drone during such a crash are the propellers, a particularly vulnerable pair is the Hub that attaches the propeller to the drone. Here are three heels that attach when turning the propeller when inserting into the engine.The strength of the material that the Hub consists of varies between the different propeller manufactures.

In other threads here at MavicPilots I have written about what I consider to be the most durable, propellers and Hubs and the technical solutions for how the propeller blades are attached to the Hub.

IMO
- The most durable plugs, Carbon fiber
- The most durable Hub, Master Screw
- Best technical solution, Carbon fiber

I therefore use:
- Proppelrar, Carbon fiber
- Hub, Master Screw (not the best technical solution, but the only one that can be used)

In the event of a crash, one of the hub's heels may remain initu locking devices, the black on the top of the respective motor, thus must be unscrewed to remove residual from the broken hub.

Apparently, I have neglected to check the re-attachment of the black locking device were drawn hard enough , so that the three screws have vibrated loose and Bang, here we have the crash.

New point in the checklist for each flight: Check that these three mentioned screws are well tightened in each engine, and that the two screws that hold each probeller blade to the Hub are well tightened. Screws that have a crucial function for safety should have lock washers and tighten with tensioning devices that can measure the force of tightening, unfortunately all screws in our drones are far too small to allow such a method of operation.

Attachments

• ttp-nr001[1].jpg
    ttp-nr001[1].jpg
    815.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
I am a little surprised that no one has asked the question, why did the propeller unload?

In this case, it is not the mistake of the pilot during the flight, but poor control of the drone's condition before flight, in this case my fault.

I show a picture with the drone's right front arm with engine, here you can see that the black top, with white circles, which help to attach the propeller's Hub to the engine, is missing.

Why do you have to ask, the answer is in the way I use my drone.

I fly, almost always and almost always everywhere, especially in forests, where it is impossible, at least in my opinion, not to suffer a crash every now and then.

The most delicate on the drone during such a crash are the propellers, a particularly vulnerable pair is the Hub that attaches the propeller to the drone. Here are three heels that attach when turning the propeller when inserting into the engine.The strength of the material that the Hub consists of varies between the different propeller manufactures.

In other threads here at MavicPilots I have written about what I consider to be the most durable, propellers and Hubs and the technical solutions for how the propeller blades are attached to the Hub.

IMO
- The most durable plugs, Carbon fiber
- The most durable Hub, Master Screw
- Best technical solution, Carbon fiber

I therefore use:
- Proppelrar, Carbon fiber
- Hub, Master Screw (not the best technical solution, but the only one that can be used)

In the event of a crash, one of the hub's heels may remain initu locking devices, the black on the top of the respective motor, thus must be unscrewed to remove residual from the broken hub.

Apparently, I have neglected to check the re-attachment of the black locking device were drawn hard enough , so that the three screws have vibrated loose and Bang, here we have the crash.

New point in the checklist for each flight: Check that these three mentioned screws are well tightened in each engine, and that the two screws that hold each probeller blade to the Hub are well tightened. Screws that have a crucial function for safety should have lock washers and tighten with tensioning devices that can measure the force of tightening, unfortunately all screws in our drones are far too small to allow such a method of operation.
what you have spoken about here is one of the reasons that i always remove my props on my MPP it enables the lugs on the prop hubs to be checked for damage and gives a chance to to check the screws that hold on the prop hub to motor fixing, it is imperative to make sure that these screws have thread lock on them if they are removed for any reason and that their tightness is checked during airframe inspection ,also the spring that tensions the prop in the fixing could lose tension over time ,and just check how high it comes up the motor shaft when the prop is off

Reactions: TTP
A couple of years ago I did some experiments with a P4 throwing props at that kind of rpm. I'll see if I can find the videos to confirm, but they ascended around 5 meters before coming back down. Total flight time was several seconds. That suggests that in a 5 m/s wind and an initial height of 2.5 m you might expect it to travel around 20 - 25 m.

Thanks sar104, your theoretical and general knowledge about drones is an incredible asset for us other MavicPilots.

Yesterday when the actual event happened, I spent about an hour carefully nailing the ground in a radius of about 25 meters from the event center, without success.

Today, when I had my drone ready to fly again, I returned and filmed the area from about 3 - 4 meters height in an area with a radius of about 35 - 40 meters.

Will have to watch the video on a big TV screen to see if I can possibly find my propeller, partly to 100% confirm my assumption for the crash, but also because a new arm for the drone costs about 75US, when it is not possible to find individual components for a larger unit for our drones.

I am glad that we have a domestic supplier who can deliver spare parts within 24 - 48 hours. The price is much like when you buy through Amazon, when all shipping, tax and customs fees are included. Also, it doesn't take 2- 3 weeks, not to say which one
delivery time from China under the prevailing C-virus situation that now applies.

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
northwolf88