DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aaaaagh! Hit a tree!

JAW911

Reactions
Noooo! I hit a tree at height and the mini 3 Pro landed on my gravel drive. The top has come apart anda circuit board and f some sort was lying next to it. Can someone please explain where it goes? It has four rubber feet. Two photos attached showing both sides of the board. I have DJI insurance but am off to Switzerland on Thursday!!! I hope someone can help please…..

Attachments

• IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4361.jpeg
    IMG_4361.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 148
  • Wow
Reactions: 1TenaciousG
It's your IMU board and I'll bet you a buck it's toast, as is the drone. Don't bother trying to fix it yourself, if the impact was bad enough to jettison this, you can guarantee a lot more components are FUBAR as well. Set your DJI insurance claim in motion.

Noooo! I hit a tree at height and the mini 3 Pro landed on my gravel drive. The top has come apart anda circuit board and f some sort was lying next to it. Can someone please explain where it goes? It has four rubber feet. Two photos attached showing both sides of the board. I have DJI insurance but am off to Switzerland on Thursday!!! I hope someone can help please…..
I have the replacement care package. Do they just send out a replacement or do they need this unit first? There won’t be time to get it to them and them get the replacement to me by Wednesday!

It's your IMU board and I'll bet you a buck it's toast, as is the drone. Don't bother trying to fix it yourself, if the impact was bad enough to jettison this, you can guarantee a lot more components are FUBAR as well. Set your DJI insurance claim in motion.

I have the replacement care package. Do they just send out a replacement or do they need this unit first? There won’t be time to get it to them and them get the replacement to me by Wednesday!

Never used DJI care/replacement packages, so no idea about protocols or turnaround. Perhaps the best thing to do with such short notice is to scout out a 2nd hand mini 2 to sling in your carry-on. EBAY is one possibility and seeing as you're a Brit: have a look on the CEX website - search "DJI drones". If your local store hasn't got one in stock, they can have one transferred from another branch within a couple of days.

This smack-up is Sod's Law in action. The last thing you need right when you least need it. The only way you're likely to get a sub-250 up in the alpine air is if you fork out for another one and a previously loved mini 2 is the best video/still quality at the lowest price.

it looks like your GPS receiver board and is simply mounted to the main frame under the top skin, using the rubber anti vibration bushes, trouble is as @Felix le Chat said ,the amount of force required to eject that component, has probably caused damage ,to not only other parts of the internal electronics, but also it has most likely damaged the multi pin connector as well

If you are desperate then I think you safest bet is to buy a new drone, test it ,well away from trees, before you go on holiday then throw yourself on DJI 's mercy and see if they would come to some arrangement regarding a refund, partial or complete on the returned wrecked drone and a switch of the care refresh to the new drone.
I see no reason why they should partial return etc. but who knows you may catch someone on a god day.

THere is something called the express service with care refresh but I think you pay an additional premium on top of the excess for that service and I think, knowing Sod's Law, you could guarantee that with such a tight deadline things would go wrong and it would not arrive before your departure.
Plus, taking that to be true, with you being away it might even get sent back to DJI whilst you are away.

Oops I see Sod's Law is popular today. 🙃

BE WARY of second hand drone bought in a rush, you will need to verify they are unbound. If you go to CEX or a face to face with an ebay seller, before you hand over cash test whether or not YOUR controller AND YOUR APP can 'work' the drone with out any binding warnings arising,
To see if there are any binding warnings I suspect that all you will need to do is pair your controller and app with the drone but I would also ask if you could start the motors with the CSC BUT NOT take off, so DO NOT give it any throttle. If they allow you to do that then to shut the motors down just hold the throttle closed or execute another CSC.

Last edited:
it looks like your GPS receiver board and is simply mounted to the main frame under the top skin, using the rubber anti vibration bushes, trouble is as @Felix le Chat said ,the amount of force required to eject that component, has probably caused damage ,to not only other parts of the internal electronics, but also it has most likely damaged the multi pin connector as well
I thought that was the GPS unit but, with Jaw911's comment, was wondering whether or not it and the IMU are combined. I too would bet there is other damage. It must have been some smack!

Reactions: old man mavic
If you are Very lucky the board isn't damaged but I would think that the IMU/GPS heatsink module shown is toast after ejecting like that!

Wow!
I've never seen that one before.
If the impact was severe enough to send your IMU flying, then you don't want to try repairing it yourself.
Take advantage of the coverage that you purchased, by sending it to DJI for repairs.
To expedite the process, they'll probably just send You a brand new unit. Plus, once they run their diagnostics, if the Drone caused the accident, the repair will be completely free.

I have had a couple of 'tree incidents'. You need to contact DJI and report the issue so you have an incident #. . They will then email you a UPS label to send your drone back to them. You will have to give them a credit card # and they will put a hold on your account until they get the old drone, then they will cancel the hold and you will have a new drone.

As soon as you send out the old drone, send DJI the tracking number. They will the send you a new one, which will arrive as soon as UPS can get it to you.

I have found the system to work wonderfully well. If you have an address in Switzerland where they can send the new one, perhaps they can send it there (at some additional cost for the shipping. I was in the same tight spot earlier this year when my drone was damaged, and they sent the new one to the address I was going to, although it was in New Mexico, not Switzerland. So talk to them, at least, before buying a new one.

Yes you have to send in your drone after filling out a repair service ticket, they will send you a ups label to send it back before they ship out a replacement. There will not be time to accomplish this by Wednesday so you would probably need to buy a replacement before you leave and make sure it's activated.

elton john now showing age lol
Oh it hurts to have to do this but, WRONG!!

Elton covered the song (and quite well). However, it wasn't his.

Originally part of the rock opera Tommy, by The Who.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki