DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

About altitude

Licanco

Reactions
HI everybody, this its my first post and I want to ask something.

In the following days or next week I will go to one volcano close to my town and I want to record some videos of the crater and the mountain.

But I saw the altitude limit its 5000m I want to know if I will be able to fly the dron if the crater area its at 5500 meters above sea level, or the restriction of 5000m its above the take off point

Thanks for your answer in advance, have a great day!!

In the following days or next week I will go to one volcano close to my town and I want to record some videos of the crater and the mountain.

But I saw the altitude limit its 5000m I want to know if I will be able to fly the drone if the crater area its at 5500 meters above sea level, or the restriction of 5000m its above the take off point

What country? Some volcano's have aviation restrictions in place. Those restrictions also apply to drones. Check before you fly to be on the safe side. Thumbswayup

But I saw the altitude limit its 5000m I want to know if I will be able to fly the dron if the crater area its at 5500 meters above sea level, or the restriction of 5000m its above the take off point

Only a handful of volcanos are above 5000m MSL. If you mean above the take off point the max altitude above take off is 500m.

Last edited:
Typically in the USA you are allowed to fly at 400ft AGL so if the volcano is at 5000m then you can go 400ft or 121.92 m above the volcano, but as the previous post states some volcanos do have restrictions as well as this rule only applies to FAA controlled airspace if there is a airport nearby then other flight rules will apply. The flight rules will vary from country to country so its best to check prior to flying.
The interesting rule would be if you flew down from the crater edge, this would then be Below Ground Level and to my knowledge the FAA doesn't expect many aircraft (flying ones) to be below ground level !!

As noted above.
Here’s a link give overview and contact points plus regs for flying. There are several but this should get you started.

Only a handful of volcanos are above 5000m MSL. If you mean above the take off point the max altitude above take off is 500m.
In theory you could fly up any volcano or mountain provided you did not exceed 400ft AGL however you also must maintain visual control of the aircraft at all times so that's the catch 22. The Mavic can probably fly further than you can see..... and if you fly over the lip and down the wireless communication will stop and the unit will try to RTH which is now behind a rock face!

5000 m is not a restriction - it's the quoted service ceiling for the aircraft. As air pressure decreases, so does air density, and so the ability of the motors and props to produce lift decreases. At some altitude above sea level the lift would no longer be able to support the weight of the aircraft, but the service ceiling is set somewhat below that. At 5000 m it will fly, but its climb rate and flight time will be reduced.

I would wonder if a mass of molten and moving metallic containing rock might create problems for the drone.

Not caring about the drone, only when I had to wash my shorts.

Reactions: Thomas B

Hawaii???

Do you realize that 5000 meters is over 16,400 feet. The air density is really thin up there. You should really be concerned about "Vortex Ring State" so when you descend vertically you don't wind up crashing into the ground at full power trying to slow your descent! I have flown my P3P to 13,700 feet ASL (still within 400 feet of the ground) but I sure noticed the slower response, and always flew with a sideways velocity, and never straight down to stay out of the VRS. Try a test flight every 500 meters above your current flying altitude to see what happens. Also DJI may have a hard limit at their spec altitude.
Joe
KC7GHT

max altitude specs are 5000m. However, there is a firmware limit that caps your max altitude to 500m above your takeoff elevation.

I've launched and flown from nearly that high. 14000 ft. Just be aware that battery life maneuvering speed and ability to climb will be more limited.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom