DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

About ready to give up!

28mm

Reactions
Hi all,

I got a Mavic Air last week and was able to set it up pretty easily (all indoors) and flew it inside just to get a feel for it. Plus I didn't think my first flight should be in the dark!

The next day, I found a perfect spot to do my first flight and while clearly I didn't even know what I didn't know, I was able to fly it around, get some video and thought that was a great first time experience.

The next day, went out again with 4 batteries and still knew next to nothing but was able to fly around and capture a few minutes of video. All good.

I got to my home about 50 miles away and since I can't fly where I am, I had some fun flying it around the apartment. Again, all good no problems.

I can't say specifically what I might have done to find myself where I am now (unable to connect). I believe I was asked to update firmware and if I had to guess that's the prime suspect.

I am using a Mac and downloaded DJI Assistant 1.2.4 and tried refreshing the firmware and then finally restoring to Factory defaults.

I am using an iPhone X and DJI Go 4 (latest version as well).

I have read everything I can find on what might be the problem and have wasted way too much time just repeating things that I know won't work, as they haven't the other 10x I tried!

I tried it with and without the SD card too.

I did have a 'crash' where the Air fell about 5 feet but don't remember exactly when I started having the connection problem. I suppose that something might have gotten damaged but from a height of a few feet, I'd be surprised. I also have on the guards and it landed on them, softening the impact.

I'm out of ideas and thought I'd post to ask the braintrust here if there's anything I might want to try or try again?

I can return the Air and get another one but I am trying to look at this as a learning experience because through this frustrating process I have learned a few things that will be good to know for the future.

Thanks for reading!

Thank you for the response and always good to start with basics!

Yes I tried that probably 20-30 times!

I get to the screen that shows the countdown till connected and it doesn't connect. I've tried starting in different sequences as well..Not sure what's best but none of the combos seem to make a difference.

Firmware is the prime suspect I suppose but I can't think of what else I can do with that as I've restored to factory settings.

I also tried using an iPod and reststalled DJI Go, as well as restarted iPhone for good measure.

Also made sure the batteries are all on same firmware version..I had no idea they got firmware updates!

Can you connect to it in WiFi mode with your phone and no remote control?
I dont have an Air, but the MP has a little WiFi/RC switch next to the sd card that can get moved when removing and installing the sd card. Could it be something simple like that?

Reactions: StokeyBry and 28mm
So there is no manual switch to use your phone as the RC instead of using a DJI remote on a mavic air?

Reactions: LakeTravis and 28mm
The firmware is updated in the Air, the controller, and the batteries. If you update the firmware with one battery, you have to install the three other batteries and repeat the update three more times.

In assistant, did you update the controller too? It's a second step. I recall some of us having some controller update issues with Windows drivers. It's been awhile. Do check the version of assistant as suggested.

Will it fly in any other modes? I seriously doubt that the crash did anything. Please post a picture of any screens that concern you.

Can you connect to it in WiFi mode with your phone and no remote control?
I dont have an Air, but the MP has a little WiFi/RC switch next to the sd card that can get moved when removing and installing the sd card. Could it be something simple like that?

Can't get that to work either.I don't think there's any switch like that on the Air. I can easily return it and get a new one and wasn't thinking of flying this weekend anyway.

I'll try tomorrow but limit the amount of time on each try or the Air will be flying from auto launcher!

The firmware is updated in the Air, the controller, and the batteries. If you update the firmware with one battery, you have to install the three other batteries and repeat the update three more times.

In assistant, did you update the controller too? It's a second step. I recall some of us having some controller update issues with Windows drivers. It's been awhile. Do check the version of assistant as suggested.

Will it fly in any other modes? I seriously doubt that the crash did anything. Please post a picture of any screens that concern you.

Thank you for the reply, Air Beetle!

I didn't realize until today that the batteries do get firmware updates. Perhaps at some point there was a conflict with different firmware but I also didn't use all 4 batteries just messing around inside.

I also doubt a low speed fall from a few feet damaged anything.

I did reset the controller using the assistant as well.

I not only can't fly but I am getting a -200 error every time I try.

I know since I am brand new to drones it could be something 'obvious' but before I made this thread, I read the manual, watched a lot of youtube videos about similar or same problems and searched a lot on the site.

It really doesn't make 'sense' I should have to work so hard, as clearly I can return it but you know how it is I'm sure. Once I get into trying to understand it, it's hard to stop..Or was hard to stop!

Reactions: LakeTravis
Can't get that to work either.I don't think there's any switch like that on the Air. I can easily return it and get a new one and wasn't thinking of flying this weekend anyway.

I'll try tomorrow but limit the amount of time on each try or the Air will be flying from auto launcher!
Actually it isn't a switch it's a button on the Mavic Air, your rear LED to be exact. This video explains it well. Not saying this is the fix you're looking for but it is another way to connect. Try rolling back your firmware to the previous version using the assistant and see if that helps.

Reactions: 28mm
Actually it isn't a switch it's a button on the Mavic Air, your rear LED to be exact. This video explains it well. Not saying this is the fix you're looking for but it is another way to connect. Try rolling back your firmware to the previous version using the assistant and see if that helps.

Thank you for the link, tried and still no luck.

Before I roll back the firmware. I made sure all firmware is up to date and started as fresh as I can.

Here's a screen shot I am getting.

Also when I check aircraft status it is showing "Gimbal Disconnected". Searched for solution to that error, which lead me to reformat the SD card. Still getting the message.

Can't access the camera either since this problem started.

I am now at 2.4 connection same result.

just watched this video to really start over.

If this doesn't work, I'll roll back firmware.

New drone Monday if I can't get it going. I'm using this exercise to learn or that's what I keep telling myself as time rolls by.

Attachments

• Image-1-2.jpg
    Image-1-2.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Reactions: Smdm
Well, I don't think there's anything more I can do for this drone. I didn't manually launch it out the window because that would probably void the warranty and returning it after crashing about 100 feet might be problematic!

I tried every possible thing, rolling back firmware didn't work, updating didn't work. Using Assistant 2 didn't work but I do easily connect to the drone, no more weirdnesses as I was having with the controller either.

At this point, I get "No Image Transmission Signal" as well as "Gimball Disconnected" messages...or and "Internal storage not found"..

Well, while I am tempted, I'm not doing this!

Even if I understood German!

Well, I don't think there's anything more I can do for this drone. I didn't manually launch it out the window because that would probably void the warranty and returning it after crashing about 100 feet might be problematic!

I tried every possible thing, rolling back firmware didn't work, updating didn't work. Using Assistant 2 didn't work but I do easily connect to the drone, no more weirdnesses as I was having with the controller either.

At this point, I get "No Image Transmission Signal" as well as "Gimball Disconnected" messages...or and "Internal storage not found"..

Well, while I am tempted, I'm not doing this!

Even if I understood German!

Maybe the minor crash did break something after all? I would not be surprised actually. The G forces during even a minor crash can be devastating to these systems. If you get it to work again I would advise to check your IMU and do a IMU calibration just to be sure. Can't be to careful with these things.

Maybe the minor crash did break something after all? I would not be surprised actually. The G forces during even a minor crash can be devastating to these systems. If you get it to work again I would advise to check your IMU and do a IMU calibration just to be sure. Can't be to careful with these things.

The good news is that this experience gave me a crash course (pardon the expression) on many aspects of updating and learning the different menus of the Mavic Air, unfortunately it didn't include much flying!

Ok, take the SD card out and you should be good to go. Fly it on internal memory and get a new SD card when you can.

Get it updated on the latest firmware on all 4 batteries too

Ok, take the SD card out and you should be good to go. Fly it on internal memory and get a new SD card when you can.

Get it updated on the latest firmware on all 4 batteries too

Just checked and all batteries are updated to latest firmware, as is the Air, controller and Go 4.

Removed the SD card as well and getting 'unknown error (code:200) as well as No Image Transmission Signal and lastly, "Gimbal Disconnected".

I can connect to the Air can't see though the camera as well.

Lastly I installed Litchi on my iPad and getting the same -200 cannot take off error.

Clearly it is possible that a fall from 4-5 feet moving very slowly did damage something, I have a hard time believing that is the cause, yet at this point I suppose it's the prime suspect.

I finally was able to connect via iPad but got same error messages I was getting with the remote.

Getting a new Air on Monday. Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121