DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

About to buy; dealers, accessories, insurance, LIDAR?

rkmalmo

Reactions
These questions may have already been asked, but I could not find the answer to all of them. I am about to buy the MPP. Going with platinum because any extra battery life and quieter flight is important to me. So I have a few questions.

1. I'm buying the Mavic after returning a Phantom 4 Pro (it was a gift, but the mobile nature of the Mavic is too important to me to have the larger P4P regardless of many other superior features). The return process has made me realize that DJI customer service is a total joke even if their products are great. So, is the DJI insurance worth dealing with? I've read multiple times that State Farm is a much better option. Anyone have experience with both or others? My biggest concern is flying (crashing) over water as that will be the large majority of my flights.

2. What accessories are necessary? The fly more combo looks great, but is not that much for savings if you don't want everything in it. I plan on getting a total of 4 batteries, extra props, and a charging hub. I also intend to use a waterproof pelican case so crushing and water will not be worries in transport. What else is a necessity for getting started? My car has a regular outlet, so car charger is not necessary.

3. I've looked into accessories from other dealers, but cannot find any reliable information. I would really like to be able to develop LIDAR topographic maps which should be possible if I find a sensor that can be mounted on the Mavic. I frequently deal with farms and flood plains trying to figure out where water can be held on land, so this would be a huge help in that. Does anyone have experience with LIDAR sensors for the Mavic or any other similar applications that can create a water profile of land that may be forested or covered in grass/brush?

4. Since buying and returning through DJI was such a rough experience, are there any dealers out there who are reliable and trustworthy to buy through as opposed to directly from DJI? I'm in the US.

Any other information or products needed to get started are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What accessories are necessary?
Here are my favorite must-have accessories for the Mavic:
  • Extra Batteries (get them from DJI or Amazon)
  • Battery Charging Hub (makes it easier to charge multiple batteries)
  • Lens Pen (to easily clean the camera or ND filters)
  • Case (check out the Go Professional hard case or others here)
  • Extra Memory Card (find commonly used memory cards here)
  • Memory Card Reader (to easily transfer photos/videos from memory card to a computer)
  • ND Camera Filters (find a list of good brands to use here)
  • Toolkit (in case you need to disassemble anything)
  • Combined Gimbal Lock & Cover (the OEM cover has weak tabs that eventually break off)
  • Compatible Phone/Tablet to Fly (see a list of commonly used phones/tablets here)
  • Extended Landing Gear (in case you need more clearance between the camera & ground)

Since buying and returning through DJI was such a rough experience, are there any dealers out there who are reliable and trustworthy to buy through as opposed to directly from DJI?
If you like to shop on Amazon, I have a list of authorized DJI dealers that sell MPPs here. And if you buy from a seller that ships via Amazon (like this one), you'll have the benefit of an easy return straight to Amazon if you run into any trouble within 30 days. If you decide to buy direct from an authorized DJI dealer, then check their return policy carefully (as some don't allow opened items to be returned and/or for a full refund).

Last edited:
Hi @rkmalmo, welcome to the MavicPilots forum. Our team here at Advexure would be happy to serve you as your top tier DJI Authorized Dealer.

There is no feasible and reliable way to configure a LiDAR sensor on a Mavic. With the GPS reliability and external high end IMU that LiDAR requires for precision they typically exceed even the payload capability of the Matrice 210. The most common platform we use for our LiDAR applications is the Matrice 600.

Feel free to reach out to our team and we'll be happy to further assist with your UAS needs whether that be on a consumer level with the Mavic Pro or enterprise level with some of our larger solutions. You can reach us wither by PM here on the forum or drop us an email at [email protected]

Cheers!
Cavan

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rufusbird2