DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Accidentally Soaked Mavic 2 Pro

Nickels25

Reactions
Hello all,

First time posting on here and I wish it was under better circumstances:

I was flying my Mavic Pro 2 drone today over a lake and as I got near the bank to land the drone my dog jumped up and knocked it out of the air. It fell into the lake and submerged itself.

I promptly pulled it out, turned it off, and took the battery out. After making sure the pup was ok, I wiped the drone off, gently shook it off, let the water drain out of the vents, and left it in the sun for about 20-30 minutes. (I was out in the field and didn’t have anything but the sun and napkins to dry it). After about 20-30 minutes, I plugged the battery back in and tried to start it up. (This was probably a stupid idea)

The Gimbal jerked around a little bit (kind of like a death thrall) and it tried to re-link to my controller for about 5 minutes. Then, however, it struggled in staying on.

I’ve now let it sit for most of the rest of the day. The battery that was in it during the crash lights up when you push the button, seems to work ok, and seems to charge/hold a charge. However, when you plug it into the craft the drone doesn’t fire up (the battery light just turns off after I “double tap” to turn it on and I lift my finger off it). It also does nothing when I put a different battery in it (one that was not submerged).

Besides the fact the drone took a dunk. I’m thinking I plugged the battery into the drone too soon and may have turned it on while there was still wet components - possibly fried some internal components. Therefore, I’m pretty sure the drone is toast. However, does anyone have any other fixes I can try? Do you think the battery that got wet with the drone be okay?

Do not keep trying to power it up. The water contained lots of dissolved solids that enable it to conduct electricity - this shorts things out and can cause electrolysis and corrosion of the circuitry. Distilled water is an insulator, you'll want to submerge it in distilled water to rinse out the residue from the lake water. Rinse it well, repeat. Then dry it out very well, not just a day or two.

If you can be bothered opening it up after dunking it in distilled water, spray some isopropyl alcohol (99% pure is recomended) on the circuit boards and connectors to remove any corrosion forming.
Then dry for a long time

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Yes, I'd recommend rinsing with isopropyl alcohol, then put it in the oven in circulating air mode at around 40°C for 6-8 hours.

Any electroics take battery out and leave in a warm dry place for a few days before trying to start, you might get lucky i doubt it after starting it so soon

Sorry about your drone getting wet. You have got less then 50% chance of your drone working correctly again.
Even if it work, down the line your going to have issues with it.

Hope the dog is ok from a 4500 rpm prop!

Reactions: mdrm_mavpilot
Sorry to hear about your water issue.
Check out drone-retriever. com for what to do after a water event.

More like 450 rpms but it still hurts the sames lol..

where do you get 450rpms from it's more like 8000 rpm ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s