DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Activation of New Mini 2 -- upgrade to firmware V. 1.04.0000 optional or forced?

Well flying UAV's since late 2014 and flying when KP is 8-9 + I have never had any or seen any problems with GPS or control of my crafts. Over the years the GPS on our UAV's have improved so much a high KP will not effect your UAV one little bit.
OK!

Sorry don't mean to come down on you about the KP theory but this has been discussed many times on this forum and others. Most agree that the high KP has nothing to do with crashes of a UAV.
I used to have a text document from a guy who worked in the industry but cannot find it now. Basically he said most of the hype is just that. If I find it I will post it here for you to read.

They are complaining, but it seems that when you complain the paid shills call it spamming lol
But the impression that’s being given is that there’s a problem with the new firmware and this doesn’t seem to be reflected in the numbers of owners complaining - here or on other forums. Surely everyone with a Mini 2 on the latest firmware would be experiencing these issues. I can’t believe that so few would be complaining about it.
I might be wrong but I suspect the main reason for not wanting to upgrade to the latest and greatest firmware is that it cannot be hacked. Basically rolling it back to a version that will allow drone-works software to perform its magic. Just a thought. 🤔
I honestly believe that most drone owners keep their firmware up to date and don’t want to hack it anyway. Personally, I think that it’s risky to hack something like firmware that’s so safety-critical to the operation of the drone. I’ve never seen a compelling reason to do it. To each their own, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: dozzn
Yes. I noticed while shopping at a big box store this week, in an obscure suburb of a medium sized North American city, that the bricks and mortar stock is dated FEB2022. This indicates that DJI has very tight supply chain logistics, and suggests that it's now or never to buy a downgradeable new Mini 2 from an authorized vendor.
I have a brand new in the box Mini 2 showing a packaging date of FEB2022, so presumably preloaded with firmware version 1.03.00. When I Activate this aircraft, via the remote, running DJI Fly 1.5.10, will I be forced to install firmware version 1.04.0000 in order to Activate? Or will I be simply presented with a prompt to upgrade, which I can ignore? I won't want to keep the aircraft if I cannot retain firmware version 1.03.00

The reason why I don't just try it to find out is that I am eligible for a no hassle refund, provided that the shrink wrap is intact.

Thank you!
Two comments:
(1) I purchased a refurb Mini 2 Combo from DJI eBay store in early February. During activation, in the upper left-hand corner of Fly it informed me that updates were available but it did not install automatically. In fact, after updating to the new 01.03.000 version, I got a second availability message for database update, which I also did. I didn't opt for auto updates based on my previous experience. Only yesterday, after not flying for a while did I get the update message availability for 01.04.000...I am assuming. I did not perform the update because of the information on the forum. However, I don't think you can assume that due to the 'nature' of the 01.04.000 update, that it wouldn't install automatically for you.

By the nature of the update, I'm referring to Augustine's comment, "I might be wrong but I suspect the main reason for not wanting to upgrade to the latest and greatest firmware is that it cannot be hacked. Basically rolling it back to a version that will allow drone-works software to perform its magic. Just a thought. 🤔"

2) I would take it back unopened and get a refund. Unless you are against purchasing a refurb from DJI, I would just buy it off DJI's Official eBay Store. At $489 for the combo package versus buying new at $599, it's a bargain given the 30 day return policy, they pay the freight, and you get the two year warranty. No restriction on opening the box. I also purchased the 1 year refresh package on the DJI site for $49 when I registered it.

If the refurb has the 01.04.000 update, return it with free freight. I have put about 20 hours on this refurb and it performs flawlessly. The 3 batteries are new. There is not a scratch on it... looks, smells, and performs as new. Hopefully, this 20 line DJI Official Store link on eBay will turn into clickable thumbnail. If you return it, just wait until they fix the problem or, if you can afford it, wait for the Mini 3. Good Luck!

DJI Mini 2 Drone Fly More Combo Pro Plus-Certified Refurbished 190021030787 | eBay

Attachments

• eBay DJI Return Policy.gif
    eBay DJI Return Policy.gif
    48.8 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: zetetic
I might be wrong but I suspect the main reason for not wanting to upgrade to the latest and greatest firmware is that it cannot be hacked. Basically rolling it back to a version that will allow drone-works software to perform its magic. Just a thought. 🤔
I am one of the victims with the new firmware V. 1.04.0000
I have had a Mini 2 for two months and I fly with it quite often I flew to a place I had flown many times, but the last time my drone lost its GPS satellite and went crazy. I had no control over him and he deviated about 2 kilometers from me. At some point there was a connection but I could not control it and after the battery fell it started an emergency landing and he drowned in a swamp 150 meters from me. The good thing is that I found it and now I will send it for a replacement. So I prefer the old firmware version 1.03.000 and I will try to stay on it when I take the new drone.

Reactions: Jam0ne
It looks like you go to Mcdonald's and ask them to give you a burger without bread.

DJIs are consumer drones and they are just like McDonald's' burgers/suites.

Please stop finding problems for yourself.

There are many other drones and you can find tailor-made drones for fitting your private demands.

I am one of the victims with the new firmware V. 1.04.0000
I have had a Mini 2 for two months and I fly with it quite often I flew to a place I had flown many times, but the last time my drone lost its GPS satellite and went crazy. I had no control over him and he deviated about 2 kilometers from me. At some point there was a connection but I could not control it and after the battery fell it started an emergency landing and he drowned in a swamp 150 meters from me. The good thing is that I found it and now I will send it for a replacement. So I prefer the old firmware version 1.03.000 and I will try to stay on it when I take the new drone.
What did you have the action set to in case of control disconnect?

Какво сте настроили за действие в случай на прекъсване на контрола?
Той трябваше да се върне в изходната точка, но вместо това прелетя още 2 км от мен.

He had to return to the starting point, but instead flew another 2 km from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds more like a hardware issue than firmware issue unless the firmware changed the setting for action to be taken on loss of control signal.

Звучи повече като проблем с хардуера, отколкото проблем с фърмуера, освен ако фърмуерът не промени настройката за действие, което трябва да се предприеме при загуба на контролен сигнал.
I have no idea. I explain it with the firmware, because it happened a few days after the update. I have flown to the same place many times before without any problems. I sent it to DJI along with the flight records and will want to replace it with the warranty because it is only 2 months old. If they don't want to, I'll replace it with insurance DJI Now I am waiting for an answer within 2-3 weeks.

I have no idea. I explain it with the firmware, because it happened a few days after the update. I have flown to the same place many times before without any problems. I sent it to DJI along with the flight records and will want to replace it with the warranty because it is only 2 months old. If they don't want to, I'll replace it with insurance DJI Now I am waiting for an answer within 2-3 weeks.
Yes sending them the flightlogs is a good idea and if you want an independent analysis of the FlightLog you can upload it to the forum in the crash and flyaway sub forum where our experts can look for you.

Reactions: Fil007
Yes sending them the flightlogs is a good idea and if you want an independent analysis of the FlightLog you can upload it to the forum in the crash and flyaway sub forum where our experts can look for you.
Thank you for the advice. I opened a topic in the mentioned subforum and uploaded recordings from this flight and a recording of another flight on the same route with the previous version of the firmware for comparison. I received a satisfactory analysis and response from colleagues. I intend to claim a warranty replacement and not use DJI care.

I had downloaded FW 1.04 for my Mini2 and ignored the prompts to install it based on all the complaints. Then I crashed it and got a Care Refresh replacement last week. It came with FW V 1.03.0601. Airdata doesn't even have this version in their database.
Has anyone else come across this version? I ask because I did encounter a few very brief disconnects shortly after launch in the first 5 flights in a location I've flown from before with no issues. I flew from a different location today with no issues. I'll keep monitoring it, And, I'm still ignoring the prompts to update for now.

I had downloaded FW 1.04 for my Mini2 and ignored the prompts to install it based on all the complaints. Then I crashed it and got a Care Refresh replacement last week. It came with FW V 1.03.0601. Airdata doesn't even have this version in their database.
Has anyone else come across this version? I ask because I did encounter a few very brief disconnects shortly after launch in the first 5 flights in a location I've flown from before with no issues. I flew from a different location today with no issues. I'll keep monitoring it, And, I'm still ignoring the prompts to update for now.
Only thing I in ķnow about this firmware is that is installed by DJI after Mini 2 service (like yours)

My mini 2 updated firmware 1.5 without channel 5.8 ghz, only flight with 2.4 ghz bad

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-25-20-41-20-707_com.airdata.uav.app.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-25-20-41-20-707_com.airdata.uav.app.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2022-06-25-08-34-49-589_com.airdata.uav.app.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-25-08-34-49-589_com.airdata.uav.app.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2022-06-24-11-07-35-672_com.airdata.uav.app.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-24-11-07-35-672_com.airdata.uav.app.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I just got my Mini 2 today, box shows Jan of 2022 and it has