DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active track stops for small branches

Colbymh

Reactions
Tried out the active track today with the fam riding bikes and had it tracking her. We got back onto a path and a bunch of tree limbs crossing over the road came up. Drone stopped to avoid but then her speed created quick distance while it tried to adjust. Too much distance was gained and it stopped. Im just glad it didnt try to bomb on through to stay with.

Reactions: seawolf and Daptone
Lol I know. It was like it was watching her ride off into the sunset. Hahah

The nxt vid on the trail was pretty awesome
How it darted around tree limbs etc.

Here's a walking example. My Mavic did pretty great. Lost me once around a corner and did a little gardening early on.

Reactions: Colbymh
Other than the initial pruning it did good. I like the “come on” after the corner. Lol

I may have pee’d a lil when I saw that power line. I was thinking here’s round 2... nice vid man

Can you try with it flying backward from in front? Unlikely to do as well, but at least you could monitor it more easily. I guess youd have quite a bit more stopping rather than going around obstacles, and more "gardening", but maybe you could get some pretty long stretches of usable video. Anyway, successful backwards tracking through a densely wooded area is kind of a holy grail for me with the rainforest hiking I do in Hawaii.

Can you try with it flying backward from in front? Unlikely to do as well, but at least you could monitor it more easily. I guess youd have quite a bit more stopping rather than going around obstacles, and more "gardening", but maybe you could get some pretty long stretches of usable video. Anyway, successful backwards tracking through a densely wooded area is kind of a holy grail for me with the rainforest hiking I do in Hawaii.

It needs the camera to track so backwards wouldnt work.

At least your MV2P stopped, my MVP1 bulldozed through tree branches during active track (FW .400). Luckily it fell into soft dirt and only damage to the props.

Well they are pretty good BUT... very dangerous flying within those trees. I wouldn't do it no matter what. Another thing to remember is sideways crashes are not covered under activetrack or tripod modes.

I will say my experience is the programming appears to try to create nice smooth pans... until it finds interference or it loses distance then it races to catch up then it goes back into trying to get nice smooth pan video with emphasis on subject then slowly move toward getting background/horizon.

It's definitely made for getting cinematic type shots.... but I don't think it's made to play automatic collision avoidance.

Great care must be taken and you won't find me flying mine through that stuff. That would be me flying manually. Again the avoidance sensors are more for newbs as the pros says.

Thanks for the video's. Still a lot of room for improvement but not bad as is.

I wouldn't mind being able to combine ActiveTrack and Waypoints. Be able to program a route and then have it fly the route but use ActiveTrack to control speed & gimbal. IOW, my subject becomes a dynamic moving waypoint. (And then at the end fly itself back to the takeoff point and reliably precision land without me having to worry about it.)

It needs the camera to track so backwards wouldnt work.
It uses the back sensors to avoid obstacles behind it. Not as successfully as when it has a camera to work with as well, but I have seen examples of this. Just not an extended test. When I get mine if I haven't seen such tests by then, I will try it myself, walking slowly and always watching the drone..

Reactions: ksmusa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk