DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track: why does DJI use optical tracking instead of GPS based?

SpyderSkeets

Reactions
I love my Mavics (Air and M2Z) but the Active Track leaves a lot to be desired. I also have a Yuneec Typhoon H and that tracks the remote or "Magic Wand" via GPS and the DJIs cant even come close to the H's tracking capabilities. I get that you might want to track something other than what can hold the remote, but for the most part, I would assume you want to track yourself or something that can hold the remote to track.

So why did DJI choose to do optical tracking instead of GPS tracking?

Check out my video that I did using my Typhoon H. The DJI could never stay on target like that.

GPS tracking is just fine if you have a wide enough field of view that the combined uncertainty in aircraft position (from the aircraft GPS), target position (from the mobile device GPS), and altitude and yaw of the camera (from the aircraft compass and barometer) doesn't take the target out of the field of view. Even in your video you will notice that the target is rarely centered, and often tens of meters from the center of the field of view.

Optical tracking, while more fragile, is much more effective at closer range with tighter framing.

I have not used the intelligent flight modes for months but isn't there a "follow me" mode that simply follow the remote as on the Yuneec ?
So in this case Dji offers you both options.

I love my Mavics (Air and M2Z) but the Active Track leaves a lot to be desired. I also have a Yuneec Typhoon H and that tracks the remote or "Magic Wand" via GPS and the DJIs cant even come close to the H's tracking capabilities. ...
Check out my video that I did using my Typhoon H. The DJI could never stay on target like that.
Here's your answer ... jump to 6:00

Reactions: wingman720
GPS tracking is just fine if you have a wide enough field of view that the combined uncertainty in aircraft position (from the aircraft GPS), target position (from the mobile device GPS), and altitude and yaw of the camera (from the aircraft compass and barometer) doesn't take the target out of the field of view. Even in your video you will notice that the target is rarely centered, and often tens of meters from the center of the field of view.

Optical tracking, while more fragile, is much more effective at closer range with tighter framing.

Personally, I would rather be out of center and it consistently tracking me, than to depend on optical tracking where it has almost always (in my varying experiences, not just this video) lost the subject. The H has occassionally lost subject out of frame, due to camera angle, speed, etc., but will always return to the subject when able to. The Active Track does not do that. If it loses the subject, it will not regain it.

I have not used the intelligent flight modes for months but isn't there a "follow me" mode that simply follow the remote as on the Yuneec ?
So in this case Dji offers you both options.

The DJI Go 4 app uses optical tracking (in Active Track mode). Litchi uses GPS tracking, but the motion of the video is not very smooth.

Impressive. Obviously not possible with GPS tracking.

I beg to differ. This can totally be accomplished via GPS tracking. I do not think you would lose any GPS satellites in the same situation as this video

Reactions: dawgpilot
I beg to differ. This can totally be accomplished via GPS tracking. I do not think you would lose any GPS satellites in the same situation as this video
Do you understand the inaccuracy of GPS?

You can beg as much as you like, but that is completely impossible with the accuracy of consumer, single-frequency GPS units. But, by all means, post an equivalent test with a GPS tracking drone.

Do you understand the inaccuracy of GPS?

Absolutely. Does the Mavic not use GPS while in Active Track, even if it isnt using it for the actual tracking? I may be wrong, but I would think the effectiveness of GPS would be similar between the two drones, albeit the H has to have two devices connected to GPS. What would happen if the Mavic lost GPS while tracking?

Absolutely. Does the Mavic not use GPS while in Active Track, even if it isnt using it for the actual tracking? I may be wrong, but I would think the effectiveness of GPS would be similar between the two drones, albeit the H has to have two devices connected to GPS. What would happen if the Mavic lost GPS while tracking?

It is using GPS to track its position, but not to keep the subject centered - for that it is using optical recognition algorithms.

Apples to oranges people! Everyone has opinions on which one is the best one for their particular reasons. We could debate this all day long and still have issues with each of them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi