DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adding a strobe light(s)

FYI: The Firehouse ARC2 are the only ones currently available with written FAA approval.
Where can that documentation from the FAA be found?

Firehouse has it in the product description and will forward it on request. Use the contact phone number on the site.

Firehouse has it in the product description and will forward it on request. Use the contact phone number on the site.
Got it. I thought you were saying you had said document in hand.

It would be interesting to see if that document really exists...

Reactions: NetDep
Got it. I thought you were saying you had said document in hand.

It would be interesting to see if that document really exists...

This is an interesting line of query and a good question. There is another vendor that advertises "meets FAA requirements for night flying" or similar. I e-mailed them and was told that several people have used the description of their lights in their daytime waiver but that the actual claim that the product is "FAA certified" was not entirely documented. I had asked for the documentation/certification from the FAA that their product had been so recognized.

I'm sure no one means to be misleading but saying that a lighting product, or any product, is approved or meets requirements of the FAA is inappropriate.Parsing words in advertising is understandable but these issues wouldn't come up if there wasn't legitimate misunderstanding by potential users.

I'm sure no one means to be misleading but saying that a lighting product, or any product, is approved or meets requirements of the FAA is inappropriate
Stating that the lights meet the requirements of the FAA is perfectly acceptable if the lights actually meet their requirements. @Thomas B is saying Firehouse lights (or at least one of them) have been officially approved by the FAA. That's a bold claim and not one I'd make without a document in hand.

Reactions: Brewbud
I contacted Firehouse and this is what they said that statement means:

"we have applied for and received a night waiver for flights and we utilize The Arc strobe in the petition for the waiver as they meet the three statute mile requirement"

So, the FAA has not given them any type of special approval.

Reactions: Turn11 and DavidNDC
Reactions: msinger
I put my strobe on the back of my Mavic Pro. That way when it's facing towards me I have a good chance of seeing the red lights. When it is facing away from me the strobe is 'very' visible. Also, at the back, the strobe does not mess up photos or video.

Good idea mfc. My solution was 3 strobes in the same orientation as aircraft. This also allows me to tell front from back and increases my flight distance due to increased ability to see my AC.

any chance they will be available some day in black or grey color?
I can make you a set in black or gray. After you place your order, reply to your email receipt and let me know you want black/gray instead.

Here's what all three colors look like up against the Mavic 2 body:

Mavic2-Filament-Colors.JPG

Reactions: ff22 and RogerMav
I can make you a set in black or gray. After you place your order, reply to your email receipt and let me know you want black/gray instead.

Here's what all three colors look like up against the Mavic 2 body:

View attachment 62541
Hummm nice, LOL now I have to decided between grey or black but I will decide by the moment I place the order. Just need to wait a little as I don´t live in USA but planing to visit my son in June probably. I will contact you in April to place the order. Definitely I think it will look better in grey or black but of course thats a different taste or like to each person. Thanks.

STROBON Cree lights or Firehouse Dual Cree lights are other good options if you want something a little bit smaller. Both are half the size of an ARC light.

View attachment 62220
After reading a lot of blogs and watching YouTubes...my mind (newbee to my Mavic 2 Pro) is confused.... so hoping you or members can set me straight before I order additional lights ...
1. I need a anti collision lights that would go on top of the drone? Typically white, correct?
2. Is there any plaace on top of the Mavic 2 Pro that I don't want to put a strobe light (thinking GPS interference, etc.)?
3. I like the "arm" light strobes, and the plastic connection, so these strobes would basically make the drone more visible? Does the plastic clip interfere with the antenna on the Mavic 2 Pro that I understand is in the forward port arm?
4. I read about putting a white strobe on the aft section of the drone, so it makes it easier to find it when flying away from you (thinking gray drone, gray sky scenario). Thoughts?
5. Do I also need a red strobe on the bottom of the Mavic 2 Pro?
6. Finally, do any of these strobes have a negative impact on the photos and videos being shot with the great little camera on the Mavic 2 Pro? If so, how do you negate that issue for quality photographs and videos?

Thanks for the feedback... I'm learning...and studying for the 107...so I will get there...just need some clear understanding of the whole light thing.

Firehouse has sets already made into a clip for the legs. That way you don’t depend on the adhesive backing. They are CREE and have 4 LEDs each. I can see mine easily in the AZ sun at 2-2.5 miles put the whites in back and the red and green in front like a full size aircraft has them as they are cheaper in sets of 2 and you will be able to mix colors to get what you want.
dji mavic 2 pro strobe light

Last edited:
Reactions: Palenshus
Firehouse has sets already made into a clip for the legs. That way you don’t depend on the adhesive backing. They are CREE and have 4 LEDs each. I can see mine easily in the AZ sun at 2-2.5 miles put the whites in back and the red and green in front like a full size aircraft call them as they are cheaper in sets of 2 and you will be able to mix colors to get what you want.
dji mavic 2 pro strobe light

Appreciate the response Thomas B *****
Do you still need a strobe ON TOP of the drone?

Personal preference. It can of course increase visibility. BTW, don’t make my mistake and look at the strobes after charging... I did and saw spots for 30 minutes!

Reactions: Palenshus
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan