DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adelaide drone law

noggab

Reactions
Hey guys I am from Adelaide and I recently bought my mavic pro. I've been looking places that is legal to fly but I can't find too much information. I am aware that I can't fly in national parks but thats about it
Any tips or recommendations?
Cheers

Look at CASAs app "Can i fly there" That will be a good guide. Look at Airmap for Nation as l parks but it is not as ccurate for CASA airspace

Reactions: noggab
Look at CASAs app "Can i fly there" That will be a good guide. Look at Airmap for Nation as l parks but it is not as ccurate for CASA airspace
Thank you heaps for your reply.
I forgot to mention that I’ve been looking some reviews about the “can I fly there” app and there are a lot of users saying that it is not really reliable so that’s why I was really unsure.
I’ll probably call some councils and ask them to make sure it is fine

Are you from adelaide? If yes do you know any good place to go and get some nice footage?

Using CIFT is a lot more reliable than nothing at all???
I'd love to hear some of the responses you get from local councils!

[QUOTE="

Are you from adelaide? If yes do you know any good place to go and get some nice footage?[/QUOTE]

I am from Perth.

Here a number of local authorities ban drones from parks etc. but the legality of these bans is questionable. My local city was going to implement a ban but had legal advise it was not in their powers.

Bushie, I’m very new to this forum (joined today in fact) and I’m also hoping to get some info on where and where not you are allowed to fly.
The only place I know at the moment is Victoria Park (ex racecourse) where I take my dogs for a walk.

I’m waiting for a Mavic 2 and plan to shoot at Victor, close to my holiday house. I’m pretty certain you can fly out from shore to the small islands (Wright Island etc) but I heard somewhere that you are not allowed to fly over populated beaches. Do you know if this is fact?

I am not familiar with Adelaide - i live south of Perth- but suggest that the CASA app is your best starting point for determining where you can fly. As well as maps it has a good summery of the laws.

On top of CASA restrictions state and local government may have restrictions though the legality of these is questionable. Until someone challenges them in court we dont know, but as i stated above my local City planned to impose such laws and was advised by their legal team they did not have the power to do so.

If you have deep pockets you can fight it out in court.

As well as "Can i fly there" there is another app AirMap but be careful as it is very USA centric and appears to not understand Australian rules.

Enjoy your Mavic.

Bushie, I’m very new to this forum (joined today in fact) and I’m also hoping to get some info on where and where not you are allowed to fly.
The only place I know at the moment is Victoria Park (ex racecourse) where I take my dogs for a walk.

I’m waiting for a Mavic 2 and plan to shoot at Victor, close to my holiday house. I’m pretty certain you can fly out from shore to the small islands (Wright Island etc) but I heard somewhere that you are not allowed to fly over populated beaches. Do you know if this is fact?
The rules
  • You must not fly your drone higher than 120 metres (400 ft) above the ground.
  • You must not fly your drone over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway (without prior approval). This could include situations such as a car crash, police operations, a fire and associated firefighting efforts, and search and rescue operations.
  • You must not fly your drone within 30 metres of people, unless the other person is part of controlling or navigating the drone.
  • You must fly only one drone at a time.
  • If your drone weighs more than 100 grams:
    • You must keep your drone at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes (usually those with a control tower)
    • You may fly within 5.5km of a non-controlled aerodrome or helicopter landing site (HLS) only if manned aircraft are not operating to or from the aerodrome. If you become aware of manned aircraft operating to or from the aerodrome/ HLS, you must manoeuvre away from the aircraft and land as soon as safely possible. This includes:
      • not operating your drone within the airfield boundary (*without approval)
      • not operating your drone in the approach and departure paths of the aerodrome (*without approval)
  • You must only fly during the day and keep your drone within visual line-of sight.
    • This means being able to orientate, navigate and see the aircraft with your own eyes at all times (rather than through a device; for example, through goggles or on a video screen).
  • You must not fly over or above people. This could include festivals, sporting ovals, populated beaches, parks, busy roads and footpaths.
  • You must not operate your drone in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, person, or property
  • You must not operate your drone in prohibited or restricted areas.
* Approval is generally linked to an approved model flying association and its members

Please respect personal privacy. Don’t record or photograph people without their consent—this may breach state laws.

Important: tips for flying within the law
  • There might be local council and/or national park laws prohibiting drone flights in certain areas.
  • Research the area you plan to fly and contact your council or national park if you're unsure.
  • Don't operate near emergency services aircraft – if you fly, they can't.
Contact us
Still have questions? Call us on 131 757 or contact us via our online enquiry form.

Last modified: 23 June 2018
Share this Share on facebook Share on twitter

You can fly where you say providing there are no manned aircraft around.
Untitled.jpg

Hi Guys,
Many thanks for the very useful information you have provided. Very helpful.
I have downloaded the Can I Fly There? App and have read through the rules for flying drones. I even did the quiz, with a 100% success rate......what a good boy!
To start with, I will concentrate on improving my flying skills and becoming ‘au fait’ with the drone’s features by flying in Victoria Park (approved flying area) before I venture into more interesting places.

I think the CASA rules are very reasonable and should align with the natural instinct in most of us. I use their app regularly .I'm quite concerned about what local councils are starting to do though, especially in SA. I would love for someone to challenge these in court as it seems all the wrong people are being involved in developing these restrictions when you have fines for flying drones being a minimum of twice that of parking in a disabled spot without a permit.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Mavic 2 Pro, however the restrictions on national parks is so wide spread now which includes 70% of the coastline in my home state of Victoria that I'm having doubts. Does any body other than CASA have the jurisdiction to enforcee drone law restrictions in Aus?

Last edited:
Does any body other than CASA have the jurisdiction to enforcee drone law restrictions in Aus?

As you suggest we need the courts to sort it out.

As I mentioned in another post, my local authority here in WA was going to impose regulations but received legal advise it did not have the powers to do so. I do not know the details of that advice

Thanks, so basically a no mans land until someone sees fit to challenge any issued fine. I was thinking along the same lines as this for councils, however was unsure if the same applied to National Parks and the like. Don't get me wrong, I 100% agree with restrictions around populated (12 Apostles) or sensitive areas (nesting birds, etc) of national parks, I just don't understand why I shouldn't be allowed to fly in areas of parks that do not fit this criteria when I'm complying with all other CASA regulations. As for privacy, I think there is a sufficient burden of proof on the accuser for it to be pretty low risk provided you are actually doing the right thing and uploading your flight data to something like airdata.

Interesting I just completed the quiz and droneflyer.com.au and came across this question which I unfortunately got right;

View media item 2220
I feel it is getting to a point where droners need a properly formed and funded group to help protect members (i.e membership covers legal fees where complete flight data shows no wrong doing) and also lobby governments to bring sensible & uniform laws into place. I've seen quotes from Senator O'Sullivan from the committee hearing into the regulatory requirements of safe use of remotely piloted aircraft from last year directly comparing Guns and the Australian response to the Port Arthur massacre to drones and the potential for downing an aircraft at Brisbane airport. This kind of comparison should boggle the mind of any reasonable person, but this person had a seat at the table discussing the future of our hobby (or livelihood).

It is going to kill off our hobby otherwise. I'm a seasoned droner and the current state of play has stopped me from upgrading to the Mavic 2 Pro. $2500AUD by the time you add in an extra battery and some filters is too much money to lay down when there is so much inconsistency in drone laws from once council to the next.

Last edited:
Same for NPs in WA. Fortunatly there are huge areas still available and as per above local parks are OK so long as i follow CASA restrictions.

An update since last postings here, like QLD has been to date, WA Parks have recently abolished its ban on drones in Nat Parks and other areas under its control.
Fly to CASA rules, and don't annoy people or wildlife.

Councils ?
Yes, many have blanket bans form taking off, or landing while on their land.
They can't stop you over flying, but what is council land ?
Certainly footpaths would be (good, they can come mow mine !!), but what about roads ?
They do maintain local roads.

@bushie, I posted in this thread where someone said Mandurah WA council had just overturned ban on drones, citing only need to follow CASA rules.
Ha, just found it and it was you mate :) Sydney drone incident

It pays to check out the English used in any legislation. If you see "must not operate a drone inside a national park" what does that mean?
To what does it apply? The drone or the operator? Does it mean that if I stand outside the park I can allow the drone to fly inside the park?
Not very clear.

It pays to check out the English used in any legislation. If you see "must not operate a drone inside a national park" what does that mean?
To what does it apply? The drone or the operator? Does it mean that if I stand outside the park I can allow the drone to fly inside the park?
Not very clear.
I think it is not meant to be clear as they may not have the right to make the rules. I suspect that is why here in WA they removed the ban in NPs and now we only need to comply with CASA regs, though they will nevet admit it.

Hey guys I am from Adelaide and I recently bought my mavic pro. I've been looking places that is legal to fly but I can't find too much information. I am aware that I can't fly in national parks but thats about it
Any tips or recommendations?
Cheers
Hi, I live in Adelaide and have been flying around the city and countryside for a couple of years now - as a hobbyist and have a Mavic Pro too.
I have switched from "Can I Fly There" to the replacement, called "Open Sky" (Download from Play Store). It is more convenient and user friendly than the Can I Fly There app. There are 3 area colours that display on the screen: white means ok to fly, orange means there are uncontrolled heliports around which are ok to fly in as long as you make sure there are no helicopters within earshot (CASA requirement), and red areas which are a NO FLY zone. National Parks are no fly zones but other conservation areas are generally ok (check with local councils). This app works by having your position in the centre of the screen and the map moves around as you slide it with your finger on the screen. If you stop on an orange area an exclamation mark appears and when you click on that a checklist appears to let you know what the issue is.
One annoying issue is that DJI also installs flight regulations for the FAA (America), and one thing that sometimes comes up is a warning to not fly above 150 metres, when we are capped to 120 metres in Australia.
I do get a warning when I fly around home that I am close to an airport, and I am not sure if it is a CASA warning or an FAA warning, but as I am 18km east of Adelaide Airport I find it a useless warning, as I live in a "white" area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+