DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ADS-B. What happens jan 1

Jet skier

Reactions
Does anybody know what happens on jan 1. Do we all have to get new drones that are equipped with ADS-B ?. What I heard is that it is part of the hardware.

Does anybody know what happens on jan 1. Do we all have to get new drones that are equipped with ADS-B ?. What I heard is that it is part of the hardware.

I think an ADS-B receiver will be incorporated into all NEW drones. More power drain and weight !!!

That’s for manned aircraft, there’s no talk of requiring this on drones nor is it available optionally. There are no drones with the ability to transmit ADS-B(called ADS-B Out.)

Some DJI products can receive ADS-B(called ADS-B In) they don’t transmit.

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying that

Reactions: brett8883
I took an interest in this topic so I did a little bit of light reading and thought I would share what I learned and a few opinions. Feel free to critique and correct if necessary.

This ADS-B technology (Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast) is an alternative to radar where aircraft transmit their position and altitude to other aircraft and ground stations. It is, in one way, a peer to peer system to help pilots “see” and avoid other aircraft nearby via a display in the cockpit. The FAA is requiring the ADS-B Out on many aircraft that operate at 2500ft and above in the various airspace designations. ADS-B Out is where you transmit your information to other ADS-B In receivers. ADS-B Out is being required but ADS-B In is not.

DJI refers to the ADS-B In technology implementation as Airsense. The company has said that Airsense will not force obstacle avoidance or landings but will just notify the operator that a manned aircraft is nearby. It has committed to implementing it in virtually all of its drones in 2020. Currently, the Matrice 200 and the Mavic Enterprise have Airsense.

The following is my opinion and conjecture.

This technology can be useful for drone pilots to “see” and avoid aircraft in the stated implementation. There are other potential implementations that have the potential to be much more onerous. Use your imagination. I tend to be an optimist so I will hope for the best.

Here’s a quote from DJI:

AirSense doesn’t force the drone to land, though, nor does it carry out any other kind of evasive maneuver automatically. “We could program that,” says Brendan Schulman, vice president for policy and legal affairs at DJI. “But we felt that the operator was in the best situation to make that judgement.”

I think that there is a good chance that DJI may implement this technology into existing Mavic 2 drones with a firmware update based on the fact the Enterprise model has it already and many believe that they share the same hardware platform. Implementation in other models is less clear.

Ken

I took an interest in this topic so I did a little bit of light reading and thought I would share what I learned and a few opinions. Feel free to critique and correct if necessary.

This ADS-B technology (Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast) is an alternative to radar where aircraft transmit their position and altitude to other aircraft and ground stations. It is, in one way, a peer to peer system to help pilots “see” and avoid other aircraft nearby via a display in the cockpit. The FAA is requiring the ADS-B Out on many aircraft that operate at 2500ft and above in the various airspace designations. ADS-B Out is where you transmit your information to other ADS-B In receivers. ADS-B Out is being required but ADS-B In is not.

DJI refers to the ADS-B In technology implementation as Airsense. The company has said that Airsense will not force obstacle avoidance or landings but will just notify the operator that a manned aircraft is nearby. It has committed to implementing it in virtually all of its drones in 2020. Currently, the Matrice 200 and the Mavic Enterprise have Airsense.

This technology can be useful for drone pilots to “see” and avoid aircraft in the stated implementation. There are other potential implementations that have the potential to be much more onerous. Use your imagination. I tend to be an optimist so I will hope for the best.

Here’s a quote from DJI:

AirSense doesn’t force the drone to land, though, nor does it carry out any other kind of evasive maneuver automatically. “We could program that,” says Brendan Schulman, vice president for policy and legal affairs at DJI. “But we felt that the operator was in the best situation to make that judgement.”

I think that there is a good chance that DJI may implement this technology into existing Mavic 2 drones with a firmware update based on the fact the Enterprise model has it already and many believe that they share the same hardware platform. Implementation in other models is less clear.

Ken
If done a you think, through a firmware update, I wonder what this will do to battery time during flights.
Not trying to be negative, especially on a safety issue.... just wondering.

Here’s a quote from DJI:

Ken

I think you guys are over thinking this. AirSense pushed as a firmware update would be nice but totally unrealistic. The Mavic 2 and Mavic 2E share the same airframe and core software but they have vastly different hardware and firmware generally.

ADS-B requires an additional UHF antenna. It doesn’t make sense that DJI would include this antenna in the Mavic 2 and then not market that as a feature. There is a reason the M2E costs more than the M2.

The Mavic battery holds a whole lot of energy and the energy to power a receiving only antenna is beyond negligible. Since the M2E uses the same battery as the M2 and has identical flight time without the additional accessories we know that it doesn’t affect flight time already.

Even if drones were capable of transmitting ADS-b they probably wouldn’t be allowed to. As drones get more popular it would congest the system rendering it useless. I could maybe see drones transmitting a localized “ping” to alert nearby aircraft there is a drone in the vicinity but it won’t be true ADS-b out

I think you guys are over thinking this. AirSense pushed as a firmware update would be nice but totally unrealistic. The Mavic 2 and Mavic 2E share the same airframe and core software but they have vastly different hardware and firmware generally.

ADS-B requires an additional UHF antenna. It doesn’t make sense that DJI would include this antenna in the Mavic 2 and then not market that as a feature. There is a reason the M2E costs more than the M2.

The Mavic battery holds a whole lot of energy and the energy to power a receiving only antenna is beyond negligible. Since the M2E uses the same battery as the M2 and has identical flight time without the additional accessories we know that it doesn’t affect flight time already.

Even if drones were capable of transmitting ADS-b they probably wouldn’t be allowed to. As drones get more popular it would congest the system rendering it useless. I could maybe see drones transmitting a localized “ping” to alert nearby aircraft there is a drone in the vicinity but it won’t be true ADS-b out
Your right, we may be overthinking it. I have been accused of that in the past on more than one occasion. I agree that it probably won’t be ADS-B Out. The power to transmit is probably not practical. DJI has confirmed that they will implement ADS-B In in 2020. I think a crude UHF antenna could be implemented without much cost since a 1/4 wavelength is only about 3 inches. The existing antenna on the Mavic 2 could probably receive it if tuned properly.

Your right, we may be overthinking it. I have been accused of that in the past on more than one occasion. I agree that it probably won’t be ADS-B Out. The power to transmit is probably not practical. DJI has confirmed that they will implement ADS-B In in 2020. I think a crude UHF antenna could be implemented without much cost since a 1/4 wavelength is only about 3 inches. The existing antenna on the Mavic 2 could probably receive it if tuned properly.
Sure much smaller in fact but the built in antenna couldn’t receive both UHF, 2.4 and 5.8 all at the same time.

If you really want something like this just go buy a ADS-B receiver to have on the ground with you. There’s also already programs like flightaware that post the real-time location data for manned aircraft over the internet anyway.

In fact you could make a DJI SDK app the overlays the flight information over the mini-map. Hey wait a minute... why hasn’t anybody done that yet ?

I think I might have just had a really really good idea.

• Haha
Reactions: Simmo
Sure much smaller in fact but the built in antenna couldn’t receive both UHF, 2.4 and 5.8 all at the same time.

If you really want something like this just go buy a ADS-B receiver to have on the ground with you. There’s also already programs like flightaware that post the real-time location data for manned aircraft over the internet anyway.

In fact you could make a DJI SDK app the overlays the flight information over the mini-map. Hey wait a minute... why hasn’t anybody done that yet ?

I think I might have just had a really really good idea.
Hi Brett,

Actually, I believe that you can have one antenna that receives 1Ghz ADS-B signal in addition to 2.4 and 5.8. The radios are SDR so extremely agile.

I personally don’t have a high interest in getting the manned aircraft info but I do see the value and yes, you do have a great idea.

Ken

Hi Brett,

Actually, I believe that you can have one antenna that receives 1Ghz ADS-B signal in addition to 2.4 and 5.8. The radios are SDR so extremely agile.

I personally don’t have a high interest in getting the manned aircraft info but I do see the value and yes, you do have a great idea.

Ken

You might be right I’m not sure.

It looks to me like the ADS-B is an add-on attachment bolted to the top of the Mavic 2 Pro? Look at the pictures on this vendor's web site.

It looks to me like the ADS-B is an add-on attachment bolted to the top of the Mavic 2 Pro? Look at the pictures on this vendor's web site.
Nah you are looking at a M2PED which does have ADS-B IN but it’s an additional board inside of the body that attaches to the main board. What you are seeing in that picture are the accessories that mount on the M2E series. The one they are showing there is the navigation light attachment.

FAA probably wouldn’t let drones have true ADS-B even if the technology was available because it would over whelm the systems with low risk quadcopters

Reactions: Rangerider
Nah you are looking at a M2PED which does have ADS-B IN but it’s an additional board inside of the body that attaches to the main board. What you are seeing in that picture are the accessories that mount on the M2E series. The one they are showing there is the navigation light attachment.

FAA probably wouldn’t let drones have true ADS-B even if the technology was available because it would over whelm the systems with low risk quadcopters
Thanks. I found a good comparison of the different versions of the Mavic 2 here. I appreciate the correction.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78