DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

sold my drone---forgot to unbind the gear

alkaye

Reactions
Ok...sold my drone...I was able to unbind it from my DJI account, but forgot to undind the actual gear.

What will happen for the new owner? Can he access my account? Will my details still be seen on the drone? Do I have ANYTHING to be concerned about?

Thank you

Ok...sold my drone...I was able to unbind it from my DJI account, but forgot to undind the actual gear.

What will happen for the new owner? Can he access my account? Will my details still be seen on the drone? Do I have ANYTHING to be concerned about?

Thank you
Change your DJI account password and you should be fine.

The password does not matter.
What precisely did you sell i.e. what drone, what controller and if relevant what phone?

If you sold one of the smart controllers or a dumb controller with a phone or tablet and had not cleared the memory of the old flight logs then the buyer can access all those logs via computer etc..
Similarily, if the controller or phone or tablet was left logged into your account then the buyer has access to the account. HOWEVER, it is my experience that logging out of the account on ANY device that runs the app i.e. smart controller, phone or tablet, will log you out of the App on ALL 'your' devices as they connect to the internet.
So .... if necessary, instal the app on a phone or tablet etc. then log in and immediately log out and that will 'secure' your account on the smart controller or phone or tablet.

But they can still access the logs via computer, there is nothing you can do about that unless you can remotely reset the phone or tablet and I would be wary of that if the buyer has used the phone or tablet, ....... you might 'cost' them their own data.
I don't know if remotely resetting a NOT LOST phone or tablet is possible.

If you sold a dumb controller and did NOT include the phone or tablet then your logs are safe.

The next point is vital, YOU MUST unbind
1) the drone from your account and
2) the controller from the drone.
If you do not then the buyer may well get back to you saying the equipment is beep beeped.

You DO NOT need physical access to the drone or controller to do this, all you need to do is log into the account that bound the drone and then, whilst that app is connected to the internet, UNDO the binding of the drone to the account and UNDO the binding of the controller to the drone.

This primarily applies if you had FLYaway insurance on the drone.
If you had neither FLYaway insurance NOR care refresh then I believe the binding you could have established does absolutely nothing to the equipment but, for the buyer's peace of mind, I would still unbind the drone from the account.
If you had neither care refresh nor FLYaway insurance I doubt you were able to bind the controller to the drone.

What aircraft is that?
The new owner won't be able to see any of your personal data, but if it's a recent model they won't be able to use it and will be very pissed off until you remove it from your account, which you can still do.

What aircraft is that?
The new owner won't be able to see any of your personal data, but if it's a recent model they won't be able to use it and will be very pissed off until you remove it from your account, which you can still do.
What do you consider to be personal data ?

What precisely did you sell i.e. what drone, what controller and if relevant what phone?

If you sold one of the smart controllers or a dumb controller with a phone or tablet and had not cleared the memory of the old flight logs then the buyer can access all those logs via computer etc..
Similarily, if the controller or phone or tablet was left logged into your account then the buyer has access to the account. HOWEVER, it is my experience that logging out of the account on ANY device that runs the app i.e. smart controller, phone or tablet, will log you out of the App on ALL 'your' devices as they connect to the internet.
So .... if necessary, instal the app on a phone or tablet etc. then log in and immediately log out and that will 'secure' your account on the smart controller or phone or tablet.

But they can still access the logs via computer, there is nothing you can do about that unless you can remotely reset the phone or tablet and I would be wary of that if the buyer has used the phone or tablet, ....... you might 'cost' them their own data.

If you sold a dumb controller and did NOT include the phone or tablet then your logs are safe.

If you do not then the buyer may well get back to you saying the equipment is beep beeped.

You DO NOT need physical access to the drone or controller to do this, all you need to do is log into the account that bound the drone and then, whilst that app is connected to the internet, UNDO the binding of the drone to the account and UNDO the binding of the controller to the drone.

If you had neither FLYaway insurance NOR care refresh then I believe the binding you could have established does absolutely nothing to the equipment but, for the buyer's peace of mind, I would still unbind the drone from the account.
If you had neither care refresh nor FLYaway insurance I doubt you were able to bind the controller to the drone.u
Thank you. I was able to get into my account using the Fly app and unbound the mini 4 from my account...BUT I have not done that on the actual drone or controller. Can the new owner still see any data since there was not any reset done on the hardware? He did tell me today (by text) that he has flown it and is happyDEVICE management page on the actually controller...but I am not able to get that. Should I be concerned?

If you had neither care refresh nor FLYaway insurance I doubt you were able to bind the controller to the drone.
Thank you. I was able to get into my account using the Fly app and unbound the mini 4 from my account...BUT I have not done that on the actual drone or controller. Can the new owner still see any data since there was not any reset done on the hardware? He did tell me today (by text) that he has flown it and is happy. I wish to see the.DEVICE management page on the actually controller...but I am not able to get that. Should I be concerned?

You do not need to access the sold controller or the sold drone to unbind them.
Providing you have unbound them using the app on another device then the controller and drone are 'told' they have been unbound when, via the controller, the drone/controller are next connected to the internet.

If the RC's memory was not cleared then the buyer can access all the logs that remain on the controller but ONLY via computer or the app using YOUR login or, perhaps, a file browser in the controller itself..
If they have set up their own login then they can not see your logs using their login.

I'd like to sell the RC-N2 which came with my Mini 4 Pro. Do I need to unbind that as well? If so, can I do it any other way besides first needing to connect my phone to the remote?

I'd like to sell the RC-N2 which came with my Mini 4 Pro. Do I need to unbind that as well? If so, can I do it any other way besides first needing to connect my phone to the remote?
If you bound the controller, for flyaway insurance, to the drone the YES you need to unbind it.
You DO NOT need to connect the app/phone to the controller, read posts #4 & #10.

Successful unbinding of previous owner:

I recently purchased an Air 2s in an auction only to find out many of the accessories were not in the box, most needed was the charger as the Air 2s cannot do USB-C charging in the aircraft. I purchased a new DJI charger and new props and started the drone up only to learn it was already bound to another pilot.

You have the flight data from the aircraft (hours, flights and distance) but not access to the previous owner’s flights, just your own. Same with the controller and battery info - just the usage and cycles. But you can check any report crashes, DJI Care, etc. There does not appear to be any personal identifiable information other than part of the email of the bound account. (jsd***@gmail.com).

I contacted DJI Support by phone and the next level support at DJI sent me an email, essentially how to unbind the aircraft, asking me to contact the previous owner and have them do it. The auction had purchased a truckload of Amazon returns and had no way of tracking down the owner. I replied to DJI with that information. They asked for the paid invoice from the auction, which I had a provided. DJI then asked for a letter from the auction house confirming they were the previous owner and had no objection to unbinding. I wrote the letter with the specific wording DJI wanted and the auction house put it on their letterhead and signed it. Within 24 hours of sending that back to DJI Support, the aircraft was unbound and i bound to my account.

Successful unbinding of previous owner:

I recently purchased an Air 2s in an auction only to find out many of the accessories were not in the box, most needed was the charger as the Air 2s cannot do USB-C charging in the aircraft. I purchased a new DJI charger and new props and started the drone up only to learn it was already bound to another pilot.

You have the flight data from the aircraft (hours, flights and distance) but not access to the previous owner’s flights, just your own. Same with the controller and battery info - just the usage and cycles. But you can check any report crashes, DJI Care, etc. There does not appear to be any personal identifiable information other than part of the email of the bound account. (jsd***@gmail.com).

I contacted DJI Support by phone and the next level support at DJI sent me an email, essentially how to unbind the aircraft, asking me to contact the previous owner and have them do it. The auction had purchased a truckload of Amazon returns and had no way of tracking down the owner. I replied to DJI with that information. They asked for the paid invoice from the auction, which I had a provided. DJI then asked for a letter from the auction house confirming they were the previous owner and had no objection to unbinding. I wrote the letter with the specific wording DJI wanted and the auction house put it on their letterhead and signed it. Within 24 hours of sending that back to DJI Support, the aircraft was unbound and i bound to my account.
With regards to logs left on a smart controller, whilst the app signed into your account can not access the original owner's flight logs, you can copy the old logs to computer and then process them via Airdata or Phantomhelp's logviewer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13