Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

ADS-B

D

danman999

I know it is cost-prohibitive for smalll drones now (as GPS was at one point), however conceptually what if ADS-B in and out were implemented at some point for small UAVs such as the Mavic, with received information displayed on the operator's console?

Traffic, weather and lots of other information.

Just an interesting thought, as most aircraft will be required to have ADS-B out by 2020 as part of NexGen.

WEOTN

Reaction score
There are active proposals for a 'special' ADS-B for drones, that spec a much lower power output than is presently required. It is being seriously considered for inclusion into our airspace ATC.

If you are serious about keeping up on what's coming, you could subscribe to newsletters like those from jrupprechtlaw.com, or Center for the Study of the Drone <[email protected]>. They are not exclusively hobby related, but often what goes down for the big players, will affect our hobby. Good to keep informed.

The modelers ADS-B being just one issue of interest. I hope the software pilots use will have a non-flying ground based version (CHEAP) we can use. I don't want another hundreds dollar hit on my budget just to get a heads up on what is flying nearby, but would really like to have that info since the receivers can be made from inexpensive kits. (google stratux)

Have fun! Keep learning!

Mission North

Reaction score
IMG_1818.JPG I'm working on it.

A Raspberry Pi Zero with a USB TV dongle and a piezo buzzer. Optionally with an epaper display. It beeps if it detects an aircraft below 2000 feet, or anything with an RAF or USAF hex code, or anything on a list which includes UK air amulances and police aircraft. Once I have ironed out a few more bugs I will make the code available to download and play with.

PaoloOne

Reaction score
View attachment 15313 I'm working on it.

A Raspberry Pi Zero with a USB TV dongle and a piezo buzzer. Optionally with an epaper display. It beeps if it detects an aircraft below 2000 feet, or anything with an RAF or USAF hex code, or anything on a list which includes UK air amulances and police aircraft. Once I have ironed out a few more bugs I will make the code available to download and play with.
Great, I have found a good usage for my Raspberry Pi, I live in Brazil and sometimes is hard to find any hardware, can you give me a shopping list?
Thanks!
At this price range it should be mandatory for serious drone producers to include an ADS-B receiver in any aircraft.

Glenn Goodlett

Reaction score
I think that our drones will have some form of ADS-B by 2020 and probably be available as an option much sooner.