DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice for Android-impaired novice setting up new SC?

VLL

Reactions
My new M2Z with the SC should arrive tomorrow. One of my concerns about getting the SC was that it is an android device, and I am an Apple-Mac-iPhone user. I know nothing about the android os or android apps. I don't plan to get fancy (at least not soon) in terms of the apps I use. For the brief time I had my Mavic Mini, I was putting my flight info into Airdata and getting flight clearance through Airmap. I used the DJI app for actual flying.

Any first-time user advice on starting out with my new SC? My expectation is that it will already have the DJI app on it and I won't need to install that. I realize I probably will need to make sure it is running the latest updates (both for the SC and the AC). Anything more?

And if anyone has any good tutorials to direct me too -- something particularly good for the android-impaired user -- that would be great.

Thanks.

My new M2Z with the SC should arrive tomorrow. One of my concerns about getting the SC was that it is an android device, and I am an Apple-Mac-iPhone user. I know nothing about the android os or android apps. I don't plan to get fancy (at least not soon) in terms of the apps I use. For the brief time I had my Mavic Mini, I was putting my flight info into Airdata and getting flight clearance through Airmap. I used the DJI app for actual flying.

Any first-time user advice on starting out with my new SC? My expectation is that it will already have the DJI app on it and I won't need to install that. I realize I probably will need to make sure it is running the latest updates (both for the SC and the AC). Anything more?

And if anyone has any good tutorials to direct me too -- something particularly good for the android-impaired user -- that would be great.

Thanks.

My first piece of advice is Don't Sweat It. It will not be that different from an Apple device. You'll power it on and see ICONS. Launch the Go App and fly.

You will probably have to register or re-register depending on what your Mini required. You will probably need to download the DJI Assistant app on your computer and you can use that to update the drone and controller and batteries. Batteries generally get updated when the drone does. If more than one battery, update, power off, insert next battery power up and get prompt (inconsistent firmware or similar) and update that next battery.

Others may have mac specific suggestions.

Sounds do-able. Thanks. I will start off exactly as you suggest. As long as I just want to use the DJI Go4 app, I looks like it will be straightforward. If I want to later use Litchi or something similar, I may be looking for more advice. But I’m not there yet. So you are right, Don’t Sweat It. Baby steps. Thanks.

Reactions: ff22
Do you have access to a PC? In which case get DJI Assistant for updating SC firmware. There is a MacOS version but I don't think it works with Catalina but I could be wrong.

Quite a few users of the SC including me had issues with the January firmware update for it. DJI released 3 versions in a few days with the final version being OK AFAIK. DJI stipulated that the update should be done using Assistant and not via Wifi on the SC. Some were able to do so with Wifi but others like me were not and had considerable trouble until the final release.

You should be able to update GO 4 OK from the SC and you could always ignore the firmware update until you get sorted as many do as the most recent version doesn't offer too much for most users.

Good luck and enjoy.

I have an old PC laptop running an ancient version of Windows. I can try it I can't get the update via the Mac. I used DJI Assistant on it for the brief time I had the Mavic Mini, and got through the update to that fine. Thanks for the forewarning about the challenges I may face with the initial update.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PMKMD