DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice For First-Time Landscape Shooter

chezedog

Reactions
It looks as though practice flights using the IFMs may not be possible before I'm required to shoot video at a local regional park. It's a 2.5 acre preserve, pretty flat. No one will be there, someone will meet us to unlock the gate.
wrp.png
Without ever trying them out, I'm inclined to use tripod, cinematic, and point of interest modes.
The idea is to end up with a 5-minute video featuring as much of the habitat as possible.
But I'd like to hear from experienced landscape shooters. This has to happen in less than a week, whether I'm ready or not!
(I've been flying a Phantom for years, but this Mavic Pro is new to me.)

My first thought was why you don't use your Phantom? I am guessing you would if you could or it is an early version without a better camera setup.

Since you are new to the Mavic, your main problem will be the lack of time for practicing.
  • Use the right ND filter for smooth video.
  • Use Spotlight mode for a pull-away shot. It allows you to fly without worrying about pointing the camera. Lock onto your target, move in close, then record as you move up and away.
  • You will need to dampen the stick and gimbal settings for less-jerky control. A good read on that can be found here: Syonyk's Project Blog: DJI Mavic Pro: The Missing Handbook: Comprehensive List of Menu Options
  • Don't forget to tap the screen to focus, or use manual focus.
  • If you are shooting in 4K you will need a fast SD card (perhaps more than one)
  • For a finished 5 minute video you will probably need to fly for longer than what one battery will last (especially with no practice) so have at least three. Better to have and not need than ...
There are more settings regarding white balance and camera , but these seem to change depending on Go 4 version used.

I am sure more experienced videographers will chime in with their camera setting suggestions. Have fun!

Reactions: McToddy
Just curious. What do you mean by required? If you don't mind telling. Thanks

Use Spotlight mode for a pull-away shot. It allows you to fly without worrying about pointing the camera. Lock onto your target, move in close, then record as you move up and away.

Hmm. From what I'd read, and the videos I'd seen, it had not occurred to me that one could move the aircraft while in spotlight mode. Interesting.

Since I've arranged access with the owners of the property, and informed the local airstrip of the exact time and place of my flight, it's going to rain like hell all day, so all is for naught! That's what you get for following proper procedure! :rolleyes:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78