DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice on terrain follow mode.

Cheech Wizard

Reactions
Does anyone know what the altitude limit is when using "terrain follow" mode? Lets say I wanted it to stay 100 ft of the ground and there is a fairly steep hill with 70 ft trees on it (not too thick), would the trees interfere with the sensors? Or is it more GPS?

Thanks for your replies.

Forgot about flying 100 feet AGL with Terrain Follow, DJI lists 10 meters maximum. I find VPS based altitude inaccurate and influenced by speed. In addition altitude will only be corrected going uphill; you will need to pull the left stick down to terrain follow downhill.

There's a work around by programming AGL into waypoints.

There is some cool technology being developed for true terrain follow based on GPS/topography data but it's still quite a bit crude.

Last edited:
Don't rely on it to save your MP from flying into the ground or obstacles. I only use it if my MP is in VLOS and even then I don't stray too far in Terrain mode.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Forgot about flying 100 feet AGL with Terrain Follow, DJI lists 10 meters maximum. I find VPS based altitude inaccurate and influenced by speed. In addition altitude will only be corrected going uphill; you will need to pull the left stick down to terrain follow downhill.

There's a work around by programming AGL into waypoints.

There is some cool technology being developed for true terrain follow based on GPS/topography data but it's still quite a bit crude.
Thanks Vegasrobbi, I'm a new drone user, so not up on all the tech involved in flying a Mavic. I haven't used Litchi. I will You Tube it and check it out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan