DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice please

Tunnels have an unusual effect on propagation. Years of work with Motorola and coal mine communications says be careful. I would walk the drone in and test commo. reliability. I certainly would be very aware of antenna orientation flying straight up in the vent. Looking forward to your report.

What are walls made of. Whst is the iron content of the surrounding material?

it seems that what you are proposing to do is fly inside a ventilation shaft ,can you get to where the shaft comes out of the ground above the tunnel ,and more to the point does it have any form of grid covering it
dont laugh at my suggestion for doing the resulting ,video without actually having the drone flying during the ascent /descent
what you could do if you are able to get to the top of the shaft ,is just use the drone as a camera turned on without props get a fishing rod with a strong enough line to hold the weight of the drone and carefully lower the drone down the shaft and then if that is a success bring it back up then fly around the shaft and then with some clever editing it would appear that you had flown the drone ,a good fishing reel would be more than capable of lowering and retrieving the drone ,if you only wanted to do the descent just reverse the playback for the return journey
you would need some help from others, to be in the tunnel and watch the drone on the way down from the top as well ,but if you could pull it off it would be one cool video

Reactions: TTP and tmtwomey
Do they analyse the flight logs to see what you were doing at the time ? Could they say , as you were flying in atti mode with the sensors off (due to lack of light) to you are somehow operating outside the scope of the policy? My experience with any type of insurance policy is they try to avoid paying out at all costs.
They will not check the logs in a Care Refresh claim. All that is needed for a replacement is the wreck and the replacement fee. If you claimed a defect covered under the product warranty they would definitely check the logs and would not cover the loss from flying in your scenario.
... The actual shot I am hoping to achieve is to ascend straight up the ventilation shaft . Its a distance from the floor of the tunnel to the opening above of about 50 meters. Once I clear the wall of portal on the surface , pan 360 then lower the gimbal downwards and redescend. The shaft is about 3 meters in diameter . I am hoping that the led lights I attach to the drone will provide sufficient light to illuminate the shaft walls on the ascent .The rise from darkness into the green countryside above is the shot I'm after.
I cannot think of a procedure where your plan will work except dropping down from the top in Tirpod mode but stopping before you lose GPS and/or RC connection. You can simulate the dark shaft in editing so there is no need to go very deep. In any case, I would not attempt without prop guards.
...I will turn on the auxilary led beneath the drone so this should hepl the vps as you suggest.
At the time of my suggestion I did not know you were going to try to go up a 50 m shaft. The manual states the operating range of the downward vision sensors is 60 m but "works best" up to 30 m. This would require a well lit floor so instead of using a LED on the craft use a light to illuminate the floor to improve your chances of it holding position.

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
Apologies folks , I neglected to mention its a mavic air 2 .Thanks for all your comments and suggestions thus far. The actual shot I am hoping to achieve is to ascend straight up the ventilation shaft . Its a distance from the floor of the tunnel to the opening above of about 50 meters. Once I clear the wall of portal on the surface , pan 360 then lower the gimbal downwards and redescend. The shaft is about 3 meters in diameter . I am hoping that the led lights I attach to the drone will provide sufficient light to illuminate the shaft walls on the ascent .The rise from darkness into the green countryside above is the shot I'm after.

This adventure just got a lot more complicated , I for one have to bow out with my drone still in tact.
good luck , you got a lot of people on the edge of there seat. .

The other thing to know is that the drone will be in atti mode in he tunnel / shaft but will switch int GPS mode on emerging from the shaft. I don't know what the behaviour is when this happens but it's worth looking at.

Wow - Atti mode sucks . Its like having a helium balloon outdoors and your trying to move it with a fan.
I got some shots in the tunnel but the steady breeze thru the tunnel kept drifting the drone away from me. Very difficult to control. Anyways as promised the footage can be viewed here if interested .
Ps . The flight up the shaft will have to wait .The wet Summer is causing too much ground water to propagate down the shaft.
I'd drown myself and the drone if I tried.

Last edited:
Wow - Atti mode sucks . Its like having a helium balloon outdoors and your trying to move it with a fan.
I got some shots in the tunnel but the steady breeze thru the tunnel kept drifting the drone away from me. Very difficult to control. Anyways as promised the footage can be viewed here if interested .

ATTI mode is tough, brutal and painful at times but it got you thru somewhat.
I think over all this is a total success and fun to watch . Congrats on some excellent flying skills .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.

it seems that what you are proposing to do is fly inside a ventilation shaft ,can you get to where the shaft comes out of the ground above the tunnel ,and more to the point does it have any form of grid covering it
dont laugh at my suggestion for doing the resulting ,video without actually having the drone flying during the ascent /descent
what you could do if you are able to get to the top of the shaft ,is just use the drone as a camera turned on without props get a fishing rod with a strong enough line to hold the weight of the drone and carefully lower the drone down the shaft and then if that is a success bring it back up then fly around the shaft and then with some clever editing it would appear that you had flown the drone ,a good fishing reel would be more than capable of lowering and retrieving the drone ,if you only wanted to do the descent just reverse the playback for the return journey
you would need some help from others, to be in the tunnel and watch the drone on the way down from the top as well ,but if you could pull it off it would be one cool video
Great idea , however after a quick recon of the site today with , the abysmal weather we are having here at the moment - ireland it rains a lot - there is a torrent of water coming down the shaft from ground water seepage so I'll have to wait for a prolonged dry spell.I did check and there is no grate .

Reactions: old man mavic
The other thing to know is that the drone will be in atti mode in he tunnel / shaft but will switch int GPS mode on emerging from the shaft. I don't know what the behaviour is when this happens but it's worth looking at.
I found no issues emerging from the tunnel . It picked up the satelites soon as it emerged. Regards

Impressive video - it was fun and quite interesting to watch. I look forward to your Future Adventures! ?

So to minimize the risk for you, I would attempt this flight with the prop protectors on.

I would also just try to fly the distance in Atti mode outside the tunnel for a distance as a practice run and I would turn off the controller so you know what happens and you dont panic. Just because the controller dis connects does not mean that you will auto RTH as you can set to hover.

As far as the Care and Refresh you should be fine as long as you recover the drone.
Wish i could do it with you, as it sounds like my kind of fun.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the Storm.
Good advise...a few practice flights wouldn't hurt at all, might even learn something that he could share with the rest of us...be smart fly safe

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Another tunnel video. Cost me a couple of sets of propellors but It was worth it .

Very atmospheric, well done!

One comment if I may - it would have been good to know where this actually was. Maybe an opening title? I would probably had a quick Google of it!

Very atmospheric, well done!

One comment if I may - it would have been good to know where this actually was. Maybe an opening title? I would probably had a quick Google of it!
Its in the video description just below where you hit play , but yes I should start putting some titles on the videos

Reactions: Greekislandlover
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada