DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice when installing Firehouse Strobes

Check out Aerial pixel 3-D printer for mounts
I’ve used Aerial Pixel for years, great fit. Have mounts for large Matrice crafts, Yuneec, Phantom4, Inspires, and Mavic’s. Prefer over sticking Velcro on craft. Utilize same units across all crafts.

I prefer the Arc 2, 4 led board to the larger Arc V. Using dedicated mounts, can easily place 1 on each leg and add top if desired.

Started with Firehouse when only 1 creed led on board and it was bright, now 4 on same size small board. Small size and brightness are great for day or night.

Reactions: MA2 317
I never trusted their Velcro or any other Velcro. I always fly with leg extenders to put my drone further from the ground in the event I have to land off my drone pad. I attach my Firehoise strobes to these leg extenders with Gorilla glue. I can still remove the leg extenders and charge the FH strobes, but the attachment is now as secure as the strength of the attachment of the leg extender. Over 5 years I have only had a leg extender come off once when, after a battery failure, I had a hard landing.
Can you please post a picture of how you attached the strobes to the leg extender. I just purchased strobes for my Mavic Air 2 2.They cam with clips to clip them permanently onto the legs but there's is a warning not to remove as it can break the leg. I'd rather velcro to leg extenders. Thanks

Pics of my arcII and dual strobes from FHT, as Velcro mounted in my M1P front arms, and Spark body sides . . .

I have a set of these for each of my drones. They have been excellent
3D PRINTED

I've been using Firehouse strobes for over a year now and own 4 ARC V's, one ARC II and two colored mini strobes. It's fair to say I have some experience with them. For the most part I love them and recommend them though they aren't cheap. The kit comes with a USB cable for charging and velcro.

If you do not keep your strobes mounted to your drone and remove them frequently DO NOT USE THEIR VELCRO

I would highly recommend using your own heavy duty velcro or some other means. The velcro they provide loses it's grip after multiple installations and removals. I have lost two strobes, where it just spontaneously fell off the drone's arm in flight and one in a very minor crash where I did not find the strobe. Perhaps I can't necessarily blame the velcro for the latter loss, but there have been later incidents when I've just been handling one of my drones with a strobe attached and it just fell off.

I keep a stash of heavy duty velcro on hand and can tell you that what I have just holds on like a bulldog onto a bone. I have had no incidents of incidental release after having switched to my own velcro. Also, if you're mounting strobes on the arms, I have found a good way to mount them or great way to reinforce velcro mounting is with thin elastic hair bands. Elastic hair bands

Again, while pricey, the Firehouse strobes are about as bright as they come in this size. The ARC V's are highly recommended.

BTW... I did an informal test of the brightness of the ARC V's vs the ARC II's. I took them into a dark closet and put each on the constant light mode (separately of course) and measured the output with a Minolta FlashMeter V (in ambient mode) for brightness. The difference of the brightness at the exact same distance was indiscernible, about 1/10th of a F stop. I can't say if one is brighter than the other in the flash modes, but the bezel on the ARC V really helps visibility as it refracts light in a much wider angle than the uncovered ARC II.
I just wish I could have mounted on the bottom of my Mavic Air 2.

I just wish I could have mounted on the bottom of my Mavic Air 2.
You might be able to. The Arc V is 1" wide and the Arc II is 0.7" wide. If you can selectively put velcro between the first and second sensor (?) on the bottom you might get away with it. I was able to figure something out on the bottom of the Mini which has almost no real estate for a light but I figured out a creative way to mount it over the power switch. The only thing is that I have to install the strobe after turning it on, and remove it before turning it off. I have a piece of velcro on the top to "park" it when not mounted on the bottom and the top velcro servers for when I want to mount a light on top.

IMG-3582.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S