DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AGL maximum in a remote, private area

MrBob1957

Reactions
I work for a company that owns almost 600 acres in the middle of nowhere with 40 miles and a mountain range between us and the closest major airport. The valley is also surrounded by 6,000 - 11,000 mountains on all sides. They've been told that there is a way to get permission to fly above 400 AGL, but with all my Google Fu powers, I can't find any information pertaining to this.

Anyone have info?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm going to guess that you are in the US.

Lots of threads on this.

If you are flying as a hobby (non-commercial), you don't need a permit. You can fly above 400' as long as you fly in a safe manner and (technically) within VLOS.

You also need to have registered.

I'm going to guess that you are in the US.

Lots of threads on this.

If you are flying as a hobby (non-commercial), you don't need a permit. You can fly above 400' as long as you fly in a safe manner and (technically) within VLOS.

You also need to have registered.

That, I am aware of and I'll be flying commercially for them for video and photography. I'm just trying to chase down this notion they got in their heads because I can't find anything that says this is even an option.

That, I am aware of and I'll be flying commercially for them for video and photography. I'm just trying to chase down this notion they got in their heads because I can't find anything that says this is even an option.

If you are flying commercially then you took a test to fly under Part 107. This should have been covered within that test.

You can fly 400' above a structure if within 400' of that structure. So you could be above 400' at that point.

Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)

If you are flying commercially then you took a test to fly under Part 107. This should have been covered within that test.

You can fly 400' above a structure if within 400' of that structure. So you could be above 400' at that point.

Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)

What you said is what I found, but I'm not flying commercially yet. I'm in the process of FAR§107 FAA Exam Prep.
I'll just wait and see what their attorneys tell me.

Thanks.

I work for a company that owns almost 600 acres in the middle of nowhere with 40 miles and a mountain range between us and the closest major airport. The valley is also surrounded by 6,000 - 11,000 mountains on all sides. They've been told that there is a way to get permission to fly above 400 AGL, but with all my Google Fu powers, I can't find any information pertaining to this.

Anyone have info?

Thanks!
You would just need to apply for (and receive) a waiver from the FAA. Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird