DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Range,

jojonono

Reactions
Hi Guys

I bought an Air 2 Recently and been shooting few videos with it,

am not sure how to put it but coming from a previous Mavic Pro I feel the signal is not great on this one, supposedly its FCC and got OS 2.0 which !!...

i have the habit of facing the drone when flying, the maximum range I did was 1.7 KM then i lost signal completely in city, at 300 M High, i just checked !

I must be honest however there were few obstacles between me and the drone, but despite raising the altitude much higher to try to get better signal that just didnt seem to do anything !

Am on Auto Frequency, anything i can do about it to get better signal or should i just send it back to the repairs ?

i read a lot of stories with Air 2 Range, and coming from a previously busted Mavic Pro i cant help but to think many people out there are having numerous issues with their drones without them even knowing !...

any help would be appreciated...

thanks,

Other than maybe where you’re flying here’s a few more threads
that might help you. Don’t have one so I can’t say for sure.

You really need to give more examples of how/where you fly. Radio interference is greatly affected in a "city" environment; I would say 1.7km is not unreasonable. Also, there's no way you were 300 M(eters) in altitude, so I'm wondering about expectations.

Reactions: Tony McDrone
I get about 5200ft in the city at 300ft altitude with interference. I got 5700ft at 40ft altitude in moderate brush recently and have made 18,000ft over the open ocean at 100ft altitude. I believe I can make 25,000ft with the right wind to get me back. My problem is I need more battery. Range has been solid.

You need a spectrum analyzer to see what sort of interference you are dealing with.

You really need to give more examples of how/where you fly. Radio interference is greatly affected in a "city" environment; I would say 1.7km is not unreasonable. Also, there's no way you were 300 M(eters) in altitude, so I'm wondering about expectations.

I was wondering about that myself. If I went to 900ft altitude I could definitely out fly my battery with a rock solid signal. He could be dealing with some sort of strong localized interference though. I have a microwave tower near my shop that limits my range to 500ft in places.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I have a microwave tower near my shop that limits my range to 500ft in places.
Like Jack I have better range in some directions than others. I can fly directly east and run into problems right away, but turning to the south and I'm good for a ...I hesitate to say how far... lets just say the coyote's aren't complaining ;)

Reactions: MA2 317 and JackL
i was able to do this morning (5:00 AM) up to 2.8 KM but on 5.8 Ghz strictly in city, and at around 200-300 meteres altitude, does this sound right ? yes i know 2.8 KM sounds good numbers but as i said @ 5:00 AM so nearly no activity in the city !...

i was able to do this morning (5:00 AM) up to 2.8 KM but on 5.8 Ghz strictly in city, and at around 200-300 meteres altitude, does this sound right ? yes i know 2.8 KM sounds good numbers but as i said @ 5:00 AM so nearly no activity in the city !...
What is your CORRECT altitude?

Are you really flying at 600-900 feet?

I don't see a need to go further than 2KM though. I'm usually less than 3k feet away.

Why would that not be his correct altitude?
the OP reports he's at "200-300 meteres", that translates to 650 to 980 feet... (rounded off) that is way beyond a valid altitude for a drone most anywhere I am aware of...

the OP reports he's at "200-300 meteres", that translates to 650 to 980 feet... (rounded off) that is way beyond a valid altitude for a drone most anywhere I am aware of...
Not sure what you mean by valid but the MA2 is capable of flying to an altitude of 500m, whatever that is in your feet. Whether, in his jurisdiction, he's technically allowed to do that is beside the point.

Not sure what you mean by valid but the MA2 is capable of flying to an altitude of 500m, whatever that is in your feet. Whether, in his jurisdiction, he's technically allowed to do that is beside the point.
If I was not clear, in most places, 400 feet above AGL is the legal limit for drone flight, less in specific locations... Why that is beside the point?

If I was not clear, in most places, 400 feet above AGL is the legal limit for drone flight, less in specific locations... Why that is beside the point?
I'm saying it's beside the point because this forum, I thought, was about open discussion on topics about drone flying, not policing people's flying practices or acting as enforcers. We can have a separate discussion on the moral or legal principles - but it is just that: separate. But in this case it is simply not relevant to the point which was made by the OP.

I'm saying it's beside the point because this forum, I thought, was about open discussion on topics about drone flying, not policing people's flying practices or acting as enforcers. We can have a separate discussion on the moral or legal principles - but it is just that: separate. But in this case it is simply not relevant to the point which was made by the OP.
Ah, you’re new here...;)

Reactions: DanMan32
Jumping to conclusions too...

My intiial thought was whether he was actually flying at those altitudes or whether it was being mis-reported.. I also noted that in most places those reported altitudes are far higher than drone flights are usually allowed, its up to the OP if they want to do that either because of where the flight is at, or the OP wants to flaunt the rules and post here to tell everyone that they did..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580