DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 signal problems.

thesotman

Reactions
Hi,
I've been browsing the MavicPilots forum with people having bad signal issues with their Mavic Air 2's just like me.
Why is DJI not doing anything about it??? Why are they not releasing a firmware to fix it???

I'm very confused. I thought it was just me, but it's not.

Thanks.

What problem are you having? I have not read many issues, so making generalizations are overly helpful for us to help you.
I am having problems with my Mavic Air 2's poor signal.
After flying about 1km the signal bars on the top right of the Fly app drop to 2 bars, then after about 2km my drone starts to break-up and I lose connection.
When I flew my Mavic 2 Zoom using the same route as my Mavic Air 2 I was getting over 5km with hardly any break-up.
I have clear line of sight between the controller and the drone and I am pointing the controller antenna directly at the drone at all times.
I tried updating the firmware through the Fly app and the DJI Assistant 2 app for Windows 10. I also tried to refresh the firmware with the DJI Assistant 2 app.
I also tried to re-calibrate the IMU and the Compass, with no improvements.

Thanks.

It canNOT be caused by firmware or everyone will be reporting the same problem. Some MA2 owners in a local facebook forum have reported a range as long as 11 km which is found to be a hard limit of the firmware. The radio can actually do better than that. Many have posted results of 7~ 8 km. There has also been reports on short range but they are minorities.

Yours is probably a lemon. I would suggest you to contact DJI and see if something can be done.

Last edited:
I have just sent my 4th MA2 back to have them look at it. I was dropping out at 600mtr and alt 80mtr clear LOS. My first one had a faulty signal board and I am sure there was a bad batch of them floating around

I have just sent my 4th MA2 back to have them look at it. I was dropping out at 600mtr and alt 80mtr clear LOS. My first one had a faulty signal board and I am sure there was a bad batch of them floating around
Holy! That is some bad luck. I’m guessing 99% of MA2 are totally functional. Oh mate I hope it gets sorted for you,

Holy! That is some bad luck. I’m guessing 99% of MA2 are totally functional. Oh mate I hope it gets sorted for you,
Are you from the USA? I live in South Africa and it's such a struggle to send them back to Amazon, because of the high shipping rate.

DJI cannot fix signal problems that are caused by problems outside the drone system. All transmissions on the WIFI bands of 2.5 or 5 ghz are extremely susceptible to blockage and interference. occusync and other modulation techniques reduce the problem somewhat, but cannot really fix the problem.

Trees, buildings, etc Dramatically reduce the signals going back and forth between drone and rc. Additionally, other WiFi signals from routers, computers, etc nearby compete, and cause serious interference problems. Radio signals weaken by the square of the distance between the transmitter and receiver. A pair twice as far away have a 75% reduction in signal strength. Any other WiFi signal in that range causes interference.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
Yes, it seems there are a handful of ones with issues, but many others where people just expect too much of them. If I leave my property in one direction over trees, I probably get about 450 meters. If I go the other direction, I get around 1100 meters. I flew over water and turned around with plenty of signal at about 6500 meters. Same drone, just different surroundings. 400 meters isn't necessarily a problem if that's all the environment will support.

The OP getting much less than Mavic 2 zoom is a bit unusual though, those should be very close. Were they done the same day? Or at least same time of year?

Reactions: ninja_geezer
I lost signal several times but my rc battery was low i found if i keep it changed all way o don't loose signal but as soon as it drops to halfway i loose signal i don't know why

I hate to say this but I think DJI may have rushed this product to market to beat US concerns about Chinese drones among other issues. I have been having battery problems showing they are full but only being 65% charged. I have heard others with signal problems. I bought this drone because it did not rely on WiFi.
Keep up the chatter, I'm sure DJI monitors this forum.

Good luck!

Reactions: Steel63
I hate to say this but I think DJI may have rushed this product to market to beat US concerns about Chinese drones among other issues. I have been having battery problems showing they are full but only being 65% charged. I have heard others with signal problems. I bought this drone because it did not rely on WiFi.

Good luck!
If that was the case, how come so many of us are not having any problems at all? Yes, there maybe a quality control issue in that some are ‘not up to scratch’, but for most on here it work’s brilliantly.

Nope, I am an Aussie. Crazy courier costs here too.
When its a issue with warranty is it sooo simple. Screen record a flight with any issues on it and upload to YT. Get on tech chat send them the link to YT and they will open a claim case for you. The send a prepaid sticker to your email put the drone in a box and send it off to your local repair centre. In Oz its in Melb. Track all the progress online very easy.
IMO DJI has a great set up.

Good luck!
There are a very low number of people reporting issues on forums like this compared to the number sold. All manufacturers now release products knowing they will get updates at start up or in the first few weeks. It is not a great option, but it is how the world has moved.

Based on the issues I have read and my experience with this quad, I suspect these are all normal warranty issues and not some “xxxgate” thing. Even in the OP post, it could be a warranty problem as I have flown plenty a far with little signal issues. Where I did it was likely interference as it was not repeated on a later trip.

You will always read an exponentially higher number of complaints then praise for a product. I know I have not posted how much I love the weekly or twice weekly flights with no issues and how it out performed my Air, EVO 1, and P4P in different areas. I reply at times, but no Hey this is awesome posts.

Not sure if this will work for you but I had similar problems when I first flew my MA2. I couldn't get more than 500m or so away without the signal cutting out to my phone and losing signal with the drone returning to home. A few times it did it I was line of sight with it. Not having owned a DJI drone before I was pretty disappointed with the range.

But after watching a few youtube videos I noticed that in other peoples DJI Fly app you could pick between the 2.4ghz and the 5.8ghz option or put it dual band but mine did not have that option only 2.4ghz was there. Weird. My DJI Fly app version was 1.1.5 which was the current one out when I bought the drone. I uninstalled the app, deleted the cache, reinstalled but it was still like that after the fresh reinstall.

After searching around a few forums I found a thread where someone mentioned having the same problem with a new drone purchase and app 1.1.5 on their android phone. They mentioned they rolled back to a previous app version on apkmirror, connected to the drone and the option was there. Then they let the play store update the app and it then remained there on 1.1.5.

I did the same, installed 1.1.2 version, connected to the MA2 and there it was, 2.5, 5.8 and auto. Was not there before. I then disconnected the drone, and opened the play store and let it update to 1.1.5. And there the option was. Set it to auto and went and flew the drone. Not 1 dropout for the whole flight where I was getting 3 or 4 for the battery duration previously. Next battery went and flew it further away and got to 2km away before I turned around and came back. Have since had play store update the app to the latest 1.1.6 and the dual band option is still there and done is flying well.

Have used it heaps since and not having any more dropouts or anything. Hopefully it might work for you as I understand how frustrating it was when you could hardly fly it further than you could nearly throw it.

DJI Fly apkmirror link here - DJI Fly APKs - APKMirror

Reactions: David_OC
There are so many variables for range...have you experimented in a variety of locations and environments??
Yes, I've tried updating firmware from the DJI Fly app and DJI Assistant app and also calibrated compass and IMU many times.
I've also tried different locations.

DJI cannot fix signal problems that are caused by problems outside the drone system. All transmissions on the WIFI bands of 2.5 or 5 ghz are extremely susceptible to blockage and interference. occusync and other modulation techniques reduce the problem somewhat, but cannot really fix the problem.

Trees, buildings, etc Dramatically reduce the signals going back and forth between drone and rc. Additionally, other WiFi signals from routers, computers, etc nearby compete, and cause serious interference problems. Radio signals weaken by the square of the distance between the transmitter and receiver. A pair twice as far away have a 75% reduction in signal strength. Any other WiFi signal in that range causes interference.
With my Mavic 2 Zoom, I was getting over 5km with hardly any interference. But with my Mavic Air 2, I can bearly reach 2km when using the same route as the Mavic 2 Zoom.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54