DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S 5.4K video playback problems

PVCRalph

Reactions
Hi all, I have a new Air 2S for about 3 weeks now and have not yet been able to playback 5.4K video on my PC. 4K is fine, pc is fine. I have 1 week left to return it to place of purchase. I take the SD chip out and copy to PC and won't play properly.

Anyone else having this problem? I hate to send it back but I feel there is a problem with it. would love to talk to another 2S owner.

Thanks for reading.
Ralph

It's sound like problem in computer performance or GPU low performance?

Can you share your computer specs?
I have a AMD Ryzen 7, 32 gig 3600 mem, AMD Radeon 560 Video card. I fly a lot with MS flight sim that works fine and is very demanding so I feel computer shouldn't be the problem.
I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops here and all do the same. DJI says there is no codac for 5.4K thats why if others can view 5.4k I think I should to???!!

The h265 codec is just to play the video on your computer. But like I said in my other post some media players have it built in like VLC.

Try one of these. I use MPC-BE

The hardware video decoder in the RX500 series doesn't support decoding >4K resolution, so you're falling back to software and decoding h.265 at that res via software is too much. AMD has always been behind with their video encode/decode hardware on their GPUs and they don't have such hardware on their CPUs to fall back on unlike most Intel ones.

You can try recording h.264 instead of h.265, then the CPU might be able to cope. Or upgrade GPU, but now is not exactly the moment for that.
Failing that you can always shoot 4K...

I hate to send it back but I feel there is a problem with it. would love to talk to another 2S owner.
Upload an untouched sample file and we can have a look if it's OK, but it almost certainly is.

You can convert h.265 to h.264. If you don't have the software to do this, contact me directly

PC hardware is almost always the problem in these situations. The playback demands of UHD and higher video often exceed what the PC is capable of.

The use of the H.265 codec is particularly demanding. The only PCs handle it well have hardware H.265 decoders in them. H.264 is a lot easier on the hardware of the PC for playback.

No amount of fiddling around with the SD card specs or different cards will improve the result if it is the PC causing the problem.

Reactions: itallica
VLC is my goto player and won't play. I thought for sure it would play with VLC BUT NOT??

What do you mean when you say it doesn't play? You see part of the video and it either stutters or never moves past that frame, or you see nothing and either get an error or not even a single frame?

VLC is absolute garbage. If a file does not play in VLC that means the file has excellent bitrate and video quality
It also depends on which version of VLC you install on Windows, as the one available in the "windows store" is a crippled version. I use the version of VLC downloaded from the VLC website all the time, and it has no problem playing anything that I throw at it

Try one of these. I use MPC-BE
Thanks I will try it
What do you mean when you say it doesn't play? You see part of the video and it either stutters or never moves past that frame, or you see nothing and either get an error or not even a single frame?
It looks like each frame is about 3 seconds long... image for about 1 second then a white smear comes across for the next 2 seconds then on to the next frame to do the same thing. I do see a correct image for that 1 second.

It looks like each frame is about 3 seconds long... image for about 1 second then a white smear comes across for the next 2 seconds then on to the next frame to do the same thing. I do see a correct image for that 1 second.

That sounds like a hardware performance issue. If you use the suggestion above and download MPC-BE, you can view the stats on the playback (frame rate and dropped frames). Just click the "view" menu within the app and select "statistics" or type ctrl-4.

VLC and 5k player both play the 5.4 k no issues on my 10 year old i7 windows pc ,16gb ram ssd nvidia 1050ti card.
the old chip is a second gen !! my fav is VLC.when i eport the video after editing i use 4k it looks stunning on my big sony tv.

Reactions: RonanCork
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky